2017 Hatchback Bike Rack

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring
Hey all, has anyone tried a Thule or Yakima bike rack on the rear of the hatchbacks? I am wondering if the top spoiler interferes with the straps.
Sponsored

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all, has anyone tried a Thule or Yakima bike rack on the rear of the hatchbacks? I am wondering if the top spoiler interferes with the straps.
I believe it would interfere by just looking at it. I know for sure the roof rack would be the best option. Thule already has a kit to fit the hatchback.

OP
OP

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring
I believe it would interfere by just looking at it. I know for sure the roof rack would be the best option. Thule already has a kit to fit the hatchback.
Really? Their website doesn't have it, and I contacted them last week directly and they said they were working on it and hope for a spring release. That's the only reason I'm looking at trunk racks.

Do you have the Fit Kit number? I just checked their website and it still doesn't show.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really? Their website doesn't have it, and I contacted them last week directly and they said they were working on it and hope for a spring release. That's the only reason I'm looking at trunk racks.

Do you have the Fit Kit number? I just checked their website and it still doesn't show.
I believe a saw a kit on etrailer.
http://www.etrailer.com/roof-2017_Honda_Civic.htm

OP
OP

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that is the kit for the Sedan.

sensoredmedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport Touring
I have a hitch bike rack, so I'm waiting for a trailer hitch to come out that works with the center exhaust.

OP
OP

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a hitch bike rack, so I'm waiting for a trailer hitch to come out that works with the center exhaust.
Seems like a tall order with the center exhaust, but I hope your wish is granted.

I have a hitch rack also, but it's a Thule Apex 9026 that holds 5 bikes and requires a 2" hitch. I don't see that happening on any Civic.

sensoredmedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport Touring
Seems like a tall order with the center exhaust, but I hope your wish is granted.

I have a hitch rack also, but it's a Thule Apex 9026 that holds 5 bikes and requires a 2" hitch. I don't see that happening on any Civic.
Curt Hitch makes them for the 2017 Civic, and they make one for the Focus ST that has a center exhaust, however, the Focus exhaust is a flat hexagonal shape. Considering the Hatch S/ST is new, that they'll be manufacturing one. I have a question out to them and hope to post a reply soon.

OP
OP

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I notice the Curt hitch is a Class 1 hitch with a 1.25" tube, which wouldn't work for my existing Thule. I'd have to get a smaller one if I went that route (which I may.)

P4Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R Sonic Gray, 2018 Honda Accord EX-l 2.0 Turbo, 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 1965 GMC Pickup, 2009 KTM Enduro 690R
I notice the Curt hitch is a Class 1 hitch with a 1.25" tube, which wouldn't work for my existing Thule. I'd have to get a smaller one if I went that route (which I may.)
Just get the adapter to convert it to the 2" reciver.

OP
OP

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just get the adapter to convert it to the 2" reciver.
A valid option, but with the 5-bike arms extended rearward, and the adapter holding it farther back, it would sit pretty far out to the rear of the car, not to mention that there is a 200lb tongue weight limit on a Class 1 hitch. Seems like it might be worth buying something more appropriate for such a small car.

OnceYouGoJack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
I have the Thule 9003 Race Pro (trunk rack)

I wonder if it could fit over the middle spoiler and rest on the glass/license plate, but then I'm too scared to put it on the car and worried about how heavy the thing is pulling on the hatch :-/

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Has anybody found a trailer hitch for the Hatchback yet? I don't have a Sport so the center exhaust isn't an issue. Just looking for something to hook my Thule rack up to to carry two bikes at most.
Sponsored