2017 Hatch smoke when accelerating briskly - coolant or just a turbo thing?

Ds17Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatch
I just got my hatch earlier this month and have around 700 miles on it. I generally drive it pretty gently but occasionally I've had to step on it to get up to speed or out of the way etc. However I noticed when I do this, there is a smallish smoke/smog cloud in my rearview mirror. Is this normal?
Sponsored

CrazyALee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX hatchback
Country flag
I just got my hatch earlier this month and have around 700 miles on it. I generally drive it pretty gently but occasionally I've had to step on it to get up to speed or out of the way etc. However I noticed when I do this, there is a smoke/smog cloud in my rearview mirror. Is this normal?
Dude, thank God you posted this. I thought I was the only one. I have about 2500 miles on my 2017 civic hatch, EX CVT now. And I do drive it normal but once in a while, I floor it, and I also noticed a whiteish smoke cloud from my rear view mirror! This does not happen every time I accerlate briskly, so its quite hard to replicate....I'd say maybe 30% of the time it happens. I think its easier to replicate if I havent done any heavy acceleration for a while, driving the car relatively easy then decided to step on it to do brisk acceleration....

Also, please check your coolant level! I had to add some to my reservoir/overflow tank. It was below the minimum mark. I'm keeping a close eye on mine. The engine runs strong and feels fine otherwise. I'm not car tech/mechanic savvy, and I dont know if these 2 issues are related, but I tried googling general info on coolant loss and smoke from exhaust on turbo cars.....I found most common answers to be possible head gasket or crack in the block?

Last edited:

rockrewls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
keep an eye on your coolant level you "may" have a head gasket leak seeping into the engine. I sure hope this is not the case, sorry your having difficulty.

Dtfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback, 2004 Acura TSX, 2001 Chevy Silverado
YUP! I too just got a 2017 hatch and noticed this white smoke in my rear mirror. This only happened once when I was trying to accelerate quickly on ramp to interstate and I avoided doing that again. At first I wasnt sure if I was just seeing things or if it was just due to the weather being really cold. But not seeing your thread I agree something is up....This is after I have "broken in" the car per honda for over 1500 miles. Keep us updated

My question is....if your dealer sells you a faulty car from factory, is there any way possible to fight for an exchange?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
YUP! I too just got a 2017 hatch and noticed this white smoke in my rear mirror. This only happened once when I was trying to accelerate quickly on ramp to interstate and I avoided doing that again. At first I wasnt sure if I was just seeing things or if it was just due to the weather being really cold. But not seeing your thread I agree something is up....This is after I have "broken in" the car per honda for over 1500 miles. Keep us updated

My question is....if your dealer sells you a faulty car from factory, is there any way possible to fight for an exchange?
you would need to warranty it and see fi they can fix it. if they cant then you would lemon the car

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Sounds somewhat normal to me. During extended periods of cruising, carbon deposits may accumulate in the combustion chamber. Normally these small particulates trail out the exhaust and get burned off by the cat(s). But a sudden burst of acceleration can force everything out all at once, resulting in a brief display of grey/white smoke. And you may not see it again until after cruising/idling another 10 minutes. This is more prevalent on direct injection motors like the 1.5. Which is why you will see recommendations from the DI mechanics to cycle the engine regularly (i.e. Italian tuneup).

I'm not invalidating the above concerns. But a leaking head gasket would be accompanied by a sweet smelling exhaust and possibly milky colored oil. And perhaps some evidence of oil in the coolant.

My 2 cents...

CrazyALee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX hatchback
Country flag
Sounds somewhat normal to me. During extended periods of cruising, carbon deposits may accumulate in the combustion chamber. Normally these small particulates trail out the exhaust and get burned off by the cat(s). But a sudden burst of acceleration can force everything out all at once, resulting in a brief display of grey/white smoke. And you may not see it again until after cruising/idling another 10 minutes. This is more prevalent on direct injection motors like the 1.5. Which is why you will see recommendations from the DI mechanics to cycle the engine regularly (i.e. Italian tuneup).

I'm not invalidating the above concerns. But a leaking head gasket would be accompanied by a sweet smelling exhaust and possibly milky colored oil. And perhaps some evidence of oil in the coolant.

My 2 cents...
I'm wondering if this is only happening on hatchbacks? Or any sedan/coupes with the 1.5 turbo as well?

Im gona wait til my first oil change, im guessing anywhere from 7k-10k miles when the maintenance minder comes on, and I'll check to see if my oil drained out is milk-chocolate in appearance....to see if any coolant is mixed in it. In the meantime I check the dipstick from time to time for oil level changes and apperance. Coolant levels as well

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm wondering if this is only happening on hatchbacks? Or any sedan/coupes with the 1.5 turbo as well?
Can't say 100% as I've never looked for it, sounds like it's a pretty noticeable cloud though. I'm at 30000km on my coupe ex-t and have never seen this.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Exactly what I think. Every turbo car I've had has white exhaust fumes when you stomp on it. This civic is no different.
Especially when its cold out.... Your literally cranking up the heat in the system instantaniously when you hit the gas like they were

CrazyALee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX hatchback
Country flag
I think its more apparent when the RPM is around 5k+

Last edited:

CrazyALee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX hatchback
Country flag
Exactly what I think. Every turbo car I've had has white exhaust fumes when you stomp on it. This civic is no different.
would you have to keep adding coolant from time to time tho? more so the harder you drive it?

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
would you have to keep adding coolant from time to time tho? more so the harder you drive it?
Keep an eye on it.. Could have been part of break in and might not happen again.. If it does then issue

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Don't add coolant (within reason). Just keep an eye on the level. If it falls below the "cold" level while at operating temps, open a claim through the dealer.
Sponsored