2017 Expectations for Civic Sedan/Coupe

AMQ92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring Coupe, '09 Civic EX
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and was drawn here due to my research on the 2016 Civics. I currently own an 09 Honda Civic in Crystal Black Pearl and am now in the market for a new Civic (or a different brand if I change my mind).

Model: I really want the Touring but I'm still trying to decide whether the added bonuses are worth it over the EX-L and lower models. It's a toss-up between Coupe and Sedan.
Color: My preference is the WOP but after seeing the Cosmic Blue Metallic in person, I'd go for it as well. Other than these, CBP and LSM are possible options as well.

Now the reason for this thread is to get everyone's take on what's in-store for the 2017 Sedan and Coupe models as I haven't been able to get much information on them because the only information I see for 2017 is hype for the hatchback, Si, and Type-R.

Questions:
  1. When will the 2017 Sedan & Coupe models be released for purchase? I've heard from a dealer that it will be sometime in the summer.
  2. What will they change? I'm hoping they bring back the physical volume knob!
  3. Should I go for the 2017 model or get a 2016 one - with the belief that the 2016 models will be cheaper?
Sponsored

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
The coupe has only been out a couple months so there's no way the 17 comes out this summer. I wouldn't expect the sedan this summer either. Keep an open mind on the knob. I thought I would miss it but now i wonder what all the fuss is about.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
I wouldn't count on any significant changes. Maybe in another year or two, but I doubt for '17. The volume knob might actually be a bigger change than it might seem. First you have to find a place for it somewhere, and move other things around to accommodate it. Plus extra electronics and possibly programming (what happens when someone turns the know at the same time the touch screen volume is being adjusted?). That said, if there is one complaint common to 99% of the new Civic reviews, it's the lack of that volume knob. Honda might do something about it just to make that go away.

TChewy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Cosmic Blue, 2014 Mazda CX-5
  1. New model years for Honda traditionally show up late summer or early fall, around September. Like @GoPackGo said though, the coupe just came out so they may wait a bit longer to sell through more units.
  2. There will likely be very few changes and I doubt the volume button comes back. Usually Honda does a minor model refresh/facelift 4 years after the car first comes out which is when you see more added features and a few tweaks to the exterior. It takes a lot of money to make even small changes so it doesn't make too much sense for them to do it. As far as the volume button, you really won't miss it and this will likely be how more manufacturers go moving forward to make their cars look more modern.
  3. This question would really depend on if there are any significant changes in the 2017 and if you want to pay for this. One thing to note too is new model years often come with a small price increase vs previous year ($500 or so). You'll usually get a better deal on the outgoing model year because dealers want to clear that inventory.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
My bet is the 2017 models will be almost exactly like the 2016s but with better fit/finish and less problems since 2016 is the year where they're learning about design flaws and refining their assembly process.

Only real change will be manuals available on all trims but they've already announced that so nothing groundbreaking here.

To answer your questions:
1-Christmas or even Q1-2017
2-manual transmissions... Not much else... No hope for a volume knob this early in the life cycle of this car... Honestly after the first couple days you won't miss it all... Your passengers however, might.
3-that depends... If you want a manual 1.5T then you have no choice. If that doesn't matter to you, then the 2016s will be available at a discount and by then most of their flaws will have been ironed out so you'd essentially be getting a 2017 version of the 2016 model... If that makes sense.

Last edited:

Sirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Corolla
I work in Greensburg, IN and talk to Honda employees often, so I can tell you a few things on the '17 model.

- 6MT being pared with the 1.5T engine
- Updates to the infotainment system to make it work better
- That's it

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I work in Greensburg, IN and talk to Honda employees often, so I can tell you a few things on the '17 model.

- That's it
That's all I'd really expect this soon anyways... As someone said above, making one little change is extremely expensive bc it's never just that one change, it changes everything along the way from placement of this new item, wiring/software to run it, a new panel design for whatever panel you changed to add it, new tooling to build said panel, new assembly processes to install the dash... Etc etc etc all the way down the line.

The only thing they can really change up easily is paint colors and even that has some headaches that would come with it.

Rokkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Altima

- That's it
I don't own a civic yet, I'm just saving money while I wait for my Altima to die. Is Honda regularly releasing infotainment updates to users, or are they locked behind each new model year? Are all the gen 9s running on the same version, or is there a significant difference in functionality?

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
Im think we might get some features from the other countries like paddle shifters, auto start stop and maybe a red theme cluster

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope they do like they did on the 9th gen and slightly redesign the body a little. I like having a 1 year only body style. :)

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase

- That's it
I was wondering if there would be any new paint colors offered on the hatchback, the SI or even on the current models for 2017. Any insight on this?

2006civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 civic coupe
Country flag
Lumbar support for seats and aux input jack would be the two biggest for me in addition to the volume knob.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
....aux input jack would be the two biggest for me in addition to the volume knob.
Get a mini USB and just put all your music on it. I've got a 16g mini usb in mine, and i love it over the iPod/aux wires.

Another good thing about the LX....volume knob. :)

Last edited:

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
I'm doing my best to wait for the 2017 and really Honda doesn't need to do much dramatically for the 2017s, but they ABSOLUTELY need to work out some of the "kinks" with the entertainment system, work out the issue for the "freakout" (where the system thinks that every system has failed) and do some of the more easier fixes like adding more sound deadening material for the Touring for the Subwoofer rattle issue.

If it comes down to a deal on a 2016 that I cannot pass up (a possibility), then I'm going to at least make sure its a recent build. I would not want one of the earlier builds unless I was sure that was (at a minimum) up to date on latest firmware fixes and such. I'd also be asking about whether I could get a loaner car when I brought it in a month later for random issues, LOL.

A volume knob would be nice, but I'm betting "No" for 2017. I'd REALLY like it if the Sensing was included standard on the EX-L and maybe even the EX-T models - that would make purchasing SO much easier as it seems like < 10% of Inventory is the "with Sensing".

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
As far as the volume button, you really won't miss it and this will likely be how more manufacturers go moving forward to make their cars look more modern.
No hope for a volume knob this early in the life cycle of this car... Honestly after the first couple days you won't miss it all...
You guys may not miss it (and that's great that you don't), but you can't say for sure that someone else won't. Everyone "drives" differently. In fact, one owner says:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-...disappointments-so-far.695/page-22#post-34111
The only things I'm not 100% in love with are the lack of a volume knob (which I knew going in) - it drives me up the wall and I wish Honda would fix this.

I know I would definitely miss it. It's a common complaint not just on civicx.com but other forums, professional reviews, and I'm sure Honda and their dealers get an earfull about it.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/your-dont-need-a-volume-knob.2599/page-5#post-54434
[Note this thread was started by a Honda dealer salesman.]
Sponsored