baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
FOR parts, perhaps. Pretty difficult to steal a working car without the fob these days
Very easy, just roll the car onto a flatbed trailer. The 'better' thieves will even put a Faraday cage in a covered trailer.

The joys of living near a port ... a stolen car is in a container and at sea within a few hours.
Sponsored

vader2k

Darkside rider & Senior member
First Name
Alonzo-Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R. #433 (EPB). 07 Civic LX (TW)
Country flag
Amazing video, one for the ages! Congrats CTR.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Anyone have a link that says Michelin Sport Cup 2s were used to set the new time?

Also, what tires were used for the FK2R?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Just something minor I noticed.

Honda used different models for the lap setting car and for the media images. They took the time to swap the license plates though lol.

Lap record car: Notice the halogen headlights

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R Sets 7:43.80 FWD Nurburgring Record! [Video] 17ctr_ring_pr-08-small

Media pictures: Notice the LED headlights

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R Sets 7:43.80 FWD Nurburgring Record! [Video] 17ctr_ring_pr-01-small

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
On the track the PDk would be magnificent and far faster that shifting a 6MT though.
The last I knew, the R is a track focused vehicle.

I can't wait for some car manufacturer to claim that hoosier a6's are street legal tires and use them for their ring times.
SC2's are 100% street legal and Original Equipment on several high strung, track focused vehicles.

Food for thought: The RE71R with a 200tw is faster than the a6 on some vehicles in auto-x and in time attack.

Last edited:

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Nice!

Was looking forward to this. I know the GTI Clubsport bested the original 9th gen record; but a minor reason for that were changes made to the track post the 9th gen CTR run (speed limits lifted in certain areas). So it wasn't really apples to apples.

Good to see the CTR back on top!
Also, just slapping on the same kind of tires on the FK2 that were used on the VW would have probably been enough to beat it.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Very easy, just roll the car onto a flatbed trailer. The 'better' thieves will even put a Faraday cage in a covered trailer.

The joys of living near a port ... a stolen car is in a container and at sea within a few hours.
No measure is guaranteed to be foolproof; it's all about minimizing the chances and making it more cumbersome for the thief, especially if this will be your DD. Parking on the upper level of the parking garage is the way to go at shopping malls. It would be way too conspicuous for anyone to drive a flatbed into a mall garage, if they can even get past the clearance restrictions at the entrance. Wheel locks. Seat locks. A high-end alarm system with notifications sent to your smartphone in realtime. Alert-activated camera system (like a Canary home security system but for a car - does something like this exist?) Mechanical deterrents. Etc. No guarantees, just do what you can to decrease the chances of the car getting stolen.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Faster than a pagani zonda good shit honda
Not all lap times are created equal. Tire tech improves every year so you can't really compare track times to ones set ages ago.

Also, there are track times, and then there are "track times" A lot of the old lap times were set by just a pro racer taking an oem car that someone loans them out for a few laps and records the best time.

Then comes nissan and the gtr and all of a sudden manufacturers realize that ring times can be a marketing point. Then you get silly crap like these new manufacturer ring times where they set up in Germany for a few months with stacks and stacks of tires and change car settings (tire pressure, alignment, god knows what else; they probably dyno a billion "oem" shocks and springs to find a perfect match) and wait for perfect weather conditions to set a lap time.

So the time you compare it to is the recent similar ones. it is a little over 6 seconds faster than the previous type R and 4 seconds faster than the GTI over a 7 minute track. Which is good... but i fail to be amazed honestly.

At least back in the day Nissan actually used OEM tires to set their track time. And the OEM tires were somewhat reasonable tires with reasonable life expectancy.

The last I knew, the R is a track focused vehicle.

SC2's are 100% street legal and Original Equipment on several high strung, track focused vehicles.

Food for thought: The RE71R with a 200tw is faster than the a6 on some vehicles in auto-x and in time attack.
SC2's are OEM on cars that are expected to drive like 2,000 miles a year or trailer'd to and from the track. (porsche 918, SLS AMG, ACR Viper). They are semi-slicks, no way they are reasonable OEM tires.

At least the Seat Leon Cupra acknowledged what cheater tires they used and had it as an OEM option that you can actually get on the car. If it's not even listed as an option, what point is the car no longer OEM? Why not just run true racing tires...

vader2k

Darkside rider & Senior member
First Name
Alonzo-Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R. #433 (EPB). 07 Civic LX (TW)
Country flag
Awesome work Honda!

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Looks like the CTR would've topped out at 270kph, 167-168mph?
The FK2 actually did hit 271 km/h on the last straight. Maybe the FK8 has slightly more drag, has revised gearing, temps were different, or he didn't perfect the last corner.
Sponsored