Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
It should be safe to assume slightly higher but not a lot. Sport mode will offer a more responsive throttle which could certainly lead to a higher likelihood of consuming more fuel. I always set the MDX to Comfort on the highway so that the Cruise Control will be less likely to cause downshift on part/full throttle while accelerating back to cruising speed. You can set it to comfort and floor it, or set it to sport and floor it, and it consumes the same amount of fuel. The gains will be in the part throttle.
Fair enough, and thank you for that insight.
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At the highway speed portion of the test, boost isn't a thing, and mpg is really a function of cfm/mi consumed through the engine, and cfm/mi is a function of rpm, and rpm is a function of mph-through-gearset, so turbo or not...it is fair to compare. We should expect lower city mpg because it will likely boost more, and higher highway. If anything, I would almost expect to see higher mpg numbers just based on the fact that the engine is Direct Injected and the epa drive cycle is rather light on the throttle.

The test drive cycle is very strict and is laden with things like 'accelerate from 20-50mph in 30 seconds' which is barely going to take 1/4 throttle to accomplish. 'Maintain 55mph for 2 minutes' and the CTR should see great economy.

Unrelated related example - our Pilot achieved 17.89 mpg over the 3 years and 53774 miles we owned it. The 16MDX is sitting at 21.36 over almost 2 years and 43880 miles... Direct injection and 9 speed auto yield 20% improvement even though the engine makes 40 more hp peak.
I get it.

That said. Are we 100% sure highway speed doesn't factor in some amount of boost? I suppose it would depend on the speed, but at least in my own experience with my 1.5T EXT traveling at 60-65mpg on anything except a perfectly flat surface resulted in my turbo gauge showing that my turbo was spinning for boost to keep that speed. Granted, i know these tests are performed under "ideal" conditions i.e. a flat surface. But i'm just not sure you can totally take boost out of the equation for highway mileage (again, depending on cruising speed).

Could it be that the 6th gear of the manual isn't quite tall enough to keep the revs lower during cruising speed? Or maybe perhaps we're underestimating what a beast the CTR really is going to be and it really just is that high strung even in it's default sport mode.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
Wow. Was not expecting such low mileage . My 2015 Si gets 34-37 average fairly consistsntly.
Where is the logic here? I never understand when people compare an EPA lab rating to what they personally get real-world in a different vehicle.

2015 Civic Si, 205hp - 22/31, 25 combined EPA rating
2017 Civic R, 306hp - 22/28, 25 combined EPA rating

So if you're beating the EPA combined rating in your 2015 Si, why not assume you'd likewise beat the EPA combined rating in the 2017 CTR?

And considering that - unlike the Civic Si - the CTR has posted a better Nurburgring lap time than a Pagani Zonda, I think you used the wrong emphasis of "Wow."

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan, 2006 Scion TC
It amazes me how people vary on MPG.
I get 30-32MPG mixed on my 2004 Acura RSX.
I get 38-40MPG mixed on my 2016 Civic LX Sedan.

Granted that's about 75% highway driving, but I don't exactly drive like a grandma...

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
I get it.

That said. Are we 100% sure highway speed doesn't factor in some amount of boost? I suppose it would depend on the speed, but at least in my own experience with my 1.5T EXT traveling at 60-65mpg on anything except a perfectly flat surface resulted in my turbo gauge showing that my turbo was spinning for boost to keep that speed. Granted, i know these tests are performed under "ideal" conditions i.e. a flat surface. But i'm just not sure you can totally take boost out of the equation for highway mileage (again, depending on cruising speed).

Could it be that the 6th gear of the manual isn't quite tall enough to keep the revs lower during cruising speed? Or maybe perhaps we're underestimating what a beast the CTR really is going to be and it really just is that high strung even in it's default sport mode.
From experience in both my Turbo'ed Volvo and Si, highway speeds will get you nearly instant boost. You are very likely seeing slight change in throttle position that quickly generates small amounts of positive pressure when the car is under load. If you touch the gas even slightly you will you straight into boost for the most part at those speeds. Assuming they keep it constant during the test of highway (I'm not versed in EPA testing) then it would be very minimal/none depending on how the test was conducted.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I get it.

I bet you're on to something with the 6th gear... I think we know it to be a shorter gear than the outgoing CTR which would equate to higher RPM on the highway.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To be honest, I would have expected higher hwy mpg based on the car having Direct Injection, but if the gearing is not favorable...it could be sitting there at 4000 rpm on the highway.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
It amazes me how people vary on MPG.
I get 30-32MPG mixed on my 2004 Acura RSX.
I get 38-40MPG mixed on my 2016 Civic LX Sedan.

Granted that's about 75% highway driving, but I don't exactly drive like a grandma...
my '15 SI gets like 23 combined mpg.

A lot of the variation depends on where you live also. I have a lot of stop and go traffic on my commute. LA traffic kills mpg.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Was hoping for a little more, but I'm not buying the car to get great gas milage. :thumbsup:
Ah, yes. Reminds me of the time a dude said "I'm not marrying this uber hot exotic dancer to have fabulous meals, clean house or smart children. Ya know what I'm sayin'?" [elbow, elbow] :)

How does CTR get WAY worse mpg than a BMW 335i xDrive (a heavy awd system) with 3.0t V-6 300 hp/300 ft-lbs.? I don't get it.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
That is the Type R because that's the only Civic that uses a 2.0L turbo. :)

I was surprised to see it listed before the Si as well. However, the Si is rated at 28/38/32 according to training material on Honda's website that has since been removed.

Wow SI is very efficient. That means if you really let that turbo kick in not so much but good to know for highway commutes etc

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ah, yes. Reminds me of the time a dude said "I'm not marrying this uber hot exotic dancer to have fabulous meals, clean house or smart children. Ya know what I'm sayin'?" [elbow, elbow] :)

How does CTR get WAY worse mpg than a BMW 335i xDrive (a heavy awd system) with 3.0t V-6 300 hp/300 ft-lbs.? I don't get it.
I question if there is an error in the EPA website.

From TopGear about the prior CTR-
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R rated at 22/28/25 MPG upload_2017-5-9_16-38-17

From CarMagazine.co.uk
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R rated at 22/28/25 MPG upload_2017-5-9_16-40-51

29.4 combined. I assume mpg in UK still means miles per gallon, so that's 29.4 real world mpg using whatever octane fuel they have over there. The article isn't clear - they've had the car 5 months and/or 8000 miles, so it isn't exactly weekend-only driving.

Granted this is the previous CTR but I don't see the new one being all that much worse.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Oooh no! I'll keep my EX-T currently at 45MPG, until the LA Auto Show to confirm my next Honda

You must really baby your EXT because I only get 37.5 mpg in my coupe but I do accelerate swiftly.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bet you're on to something with the 6th gear... I think we know it to be a shorter gear than the outgoing CTR which would equate to higher RPM on the highway.
I wonder if a 7th gear or overdrive could've helped. Something just for cruising speeds that would drop the rpms a little further. The more i think about it the more it seems likely that the 6th gear on the CTR just isn't quite tall enough to keep the rpms down during highway cruising thus resulting in the lower mpg spec

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You must really baby your EXT because I only get 37.5 mpg in my coupe but I do accelerate swiftly.
I average like 28mpg in my EXT coupe. BUT i do 99% city driving (all stop and go, short trips, lots of traffic coming home from work) and i'm heavy on the accelerator. Eventually i'll get a chance to take along trip and really see what i can manage. My 07 coupe and 14 coupes were both easily capable of 42mpg on long trips with just me in the car.
Sponsored