2017 Civic Type R puts down 295WHP bone stock on the dyno

CivicTypeRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E350/Soon to be Type R
Country flag
Tell that to the 2003-04 Cobra, and all the new turbo Civics, and the GTI..... If they are all making at the wheel the same as their rating then how do you explain that other than they are rated at the wheel?
During this whole discussion I was thinking about the Cobra and its underrated HP with the Terminator.
Sponsored

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
a "tuned" type r can take a 5.0 from a roll depending ultimately on how modded the 5.0 is and how good each driver is. MK7 GTi's are pulling 5.0's all the time on stage 2 tunes(and vice versa). Most Type R's probably wont, but some definitely will. This also isn't a drag car so really its different strokes for different folks. As for a k20 in a eg hatch. Obviously a lot of you do not know how magical the Kseries is lol. Alot of all motor builds making over 300whp, pretty simple motor builds getting 240-260hp even. Crazy gear ratios and insanely low weight is a lot more potent than a 3800 pound 380whp tank. But yes, spend 5-7k on a bolt on supercharger and you have a 5-600 whp mustang that can get deep into the 10s and lower with the right setup.
:werd:

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
I personally don't mind the stock number, but the ones the car can put with a aftermarket downpipe and tune, I'm intrigued as well of how much of a different can make, in comparisson to my modified GTI. Honda Pro Jason has this pic. with a huge DP for his CTR, I can't wait to see that.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
Some dynos are capable of measuring the drivetrain losses, so they can add whp and losses at the end to get the flywheel HP.
Dynojet and Mustang dyno don't have this feature?

NiltyTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTi
Each dyno is different, different altitudes and different climates all effect this but for example my GTi made 300/355 on my tuners dyno with a custom tune. Same tuner, new mustang dyno, I came in for an e30 tune last week. Weather was 30 degrees hotter as well and the same car only made about 270/320 (heartbreaker mustang dyno). I gained over 30 horse with e30 and left there making pretty much exactly what I had made before on the dyno 305/350 but the car is now an animal. A dyno is a good tool for measuring gains. You get your baseline and then you make your mods and tunes and see what you gained. You can never really brag and compare dyno sheets across the globe or country.

FYI that dyno in Puerto Rico also happens to have the highest wheel horsepower VW golf r(highly debated) so I assume it's definitely a happy dyno

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Some dynos are capable of measuring the drivetrain losses, so they can add whp and losses at the end to get the flywheel HP.
Dynojet and Mustang dyno don't have this feature?
How would a dyno "measure" drivetrain loss?

At best they can guess it -- which is not accurate.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
How would a dyno "measure" drivetrain loss?

At best they can guess it -- which is not accurate.
If you have a load based dyno instead of inertial you can accelerate to redline, then let off the gas. The dyno measures the energy it takes to stop the car back down to 0. Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but can give you a rough estimate.

I dont think anyone actually does this though.

Xcell

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Did they give you any explanation for the large discrepancy between runs?
No fan in front on first pull. Think the car pulls timing with temps. Only held 19 lbs also

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you have a load based dyno instead of inertial you can accelerate to redline, then let off the gas. The dyno measures the energy it takes to stop the car back down to 0. Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but can give you a rough estimate.

I dont think anyone actually does this though.
Yes, something like that, but the clutch needs to be disengaged otherwise you are measuring the engine pump losses too. I think most German dynos do that. At redline, step on the clutch and the dyno will measure the drag caused by the drivetrain.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some diffs (LSDs) might disengage at deceleration, so that can ruin the measurement.

Vaders CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 CLA 45 AMG & '22 Ariel Atom 4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R puts down 295WHP bone stock on the dyno Run1SAE.JPEG
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R puts down 295WHP bone stock on the dyno Run1STD.JPEG
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R puts down 295WHP bone stock on the dyno Run2SAE.JPEG
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R puts down 295WHP bone stock on the dyno Run2STD.JPEG
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R puts down 295WHP bone stock on the dyno Run3SAE.JPEG
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R puts down 295WHP bone stock on the dyno Run3STD.JPEG
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R puts down 295WHP bone stock on the dyno Run4SAE.JPEG
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R puts down 295WHP bone stock on the dyno Run4STD.JPEG
There are a total of four dyno pulls (2 sheets per pull). Each pull has two different correction factors: SAE then STD. You can compare the correction factor differences for each pull and how the HP/Torque changes. I wanted real world driving numbers, so very little cool down time for each pull. The CTR was driven there about 20 miles, strapped down, then pulls were done. The fourth pull was used in 5th gear.

As VitViper stated, there are lots of variables when looking at dyno sheets. Temps were in the mid 70's, relatively low humidity for Ohio in June that morning. 76 miles on the odometer.

When looking at dyno sheets look at the upper right corner to see what correction factor is being used ex: CF: STD or SAE. As you can tell, the numbers changed based on the factor used. If you watch the videos of previous CTRs dynoed, you cannot see what correction factor was being used to see if it was apples to apples.

Trying to post the vids, but getting this error: The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.

1st Dyno Pull.MOV

What can I do to upload them?

Last edited:

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
The dyno plots are so beautiful. Peak power is great, but I'm not as impressed by that as I am the wide powerband that would be great for autocross, track driving, and enjoyable mountain road drives. Good torque is made by 2700 rpm and it says good until redline at 7000 rpm. It's pretty rare to have such a good midrange, decent low-end, and great top-end on a turbo car.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
Interesting that the CTR's got much the same torque dip in the midrange as the GT86/BRZ, even though the twins are naturally aspirated. For that car the consensus on the FT86 forum was that the dip was a result of the OEM tuning for a broader torque band and better mileage.
Sponsored