2017 Civic Type R puts down 295WHP bone stock on the dyno

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Amazing numbers if I do say so myself! Only 9 hp drivetrain loss? I think it's under rated, especially if this was on just 91 octane, from PR.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R puts down 295WHP bone stock on the dyno Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 7.14.08 AM

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Type R puts down 295WHP bone stock on the dyno IMG_1709.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
So where does the 306 come in?
Honda rates their turbo Civics at estimated wheel horse power now. So 306 was likely the average the car makes at the wheel. The Si makes about 200WHP(rated 205), the Sport and EX-T also makes about the rating at the wheels.

Phantisy

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.primalsynthetics.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 Honda Fit Sport, 17 Honda CTR
Country flag
Honda rates their turbo Civics at estimated wheel horse power now. So 306 was likely the average the car makes at the wheel. The Si makes about 200WHP(rated 205), the Sport and EX-T also makes about the rating at the wheels.
Oh okay. That makes sense.

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
Amazing numbers if I do say so myself! Only 9 hp drivetrain loss? I think it's under rated, especially if this was on just 91 octane, from PR.
IMG_1709.PNG
That battery though...definitely your screenshot.

Also, not to rain on any parades, but Dynojets tend to read on the high side for the most part. Saw this in action during tuning of my old Si on 4 different dynos.

OP
OP
NorthernEX-T

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Sick, 288/275 on a dynojet ^

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
errr, pretty sure they don't. They use SAE J1349 just like everyone else and measure it at the crank.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
errr, pretty sure they don't. They use SAE J1349 just like everyone else and measure it at the crank.
Is that was true then they would have amazingly achieved 5% drive-train loss, and VW would have achieved negative drive-train loss based on the GTI, and so has Nissan based on the Sentra NISMO dyno.

Either that or somehow everyones dynos have started to read high.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Is that was true then they would have amazingly achieved 5% drive-train loss, and VW would have achieved negative drive-train loss based on the GTI, and so has Nissan based on the Sentra NISMO dyno.

Either that or somehow everyones dynos have started to read high.
All manufacturers basically use the same SAE protocol to rate HP. They are all measured at the crank. It is a very stringent test under lab conditions:
http://www.mie.uth.gr/ekp_yliko/SAE_ΔΥΝΑΜΟΜΕΤΡΗΣΗ_ΜΕΚ.pdf

I don't know why there is such a difference between SAE measured HP and dyno measured HP. I wish I knew (of note i don't think you are allowed to underrate by more than 1% on SAE). If anything though I would believe that the measurements from certified accurate instrumentation from certified conditions are more accurate than a random dyno.

I wonder if part of the problem is the new SAE standards reduced the reported hp of many engines to make it more accurately represent the crank hp. The belief that dynos accurately represented pre-2005 standard measurements is also a little odd to me. That the dyno measured lined up with the claimed hp - ~15% drive train loss seems suspicious in that the pre-2005 standard is really loose and usually reports more HP than the engine is making.

Joescivic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 K20 swapped coupe and 2013 Si coupe
Country flag
Underrating happens a lot though. So many manufacturers have done it. If said dynojet comes out making 175-180whp on a bone stock 2015 Si that makes 205 to the crank, it is measuring that with the drivetrain loss. If that same dyno takes a 2017 Si bone stock and dynos 195+whp, then it has to be underrated from the factory. It still happens, and by more than 1%.
Sponsored

Last edited: