2017 Civic Type R press drive in June. Reviews arrive June 19!

pdiizeru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type-R #225
Country flag
$40k? (I think we can probably get them here in the mid $30s unless dealers add their markup prices)

http://www.motortrend.com/news/honda-civic-type-r-pricing-announced-u-k/

I'm loving this car but finding it hard to spend $40k when you have AWD kings (RS / STI) in the same range. RS has more power, surely the STI after the upcoming refresh might get a power bump. So aside from being a rare unicorn (like the RS was), what is the reason for many of you for buying this car over the other two when considering the numbers (power / $$$)?
Its actual unicorn that is finally being released to the states. It's a Honda.
Sponsored

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i hope those who will get one have a pretty garage that double locks at night ;)

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Well, that's interesting... The Type R appears to be the first application of Honda Sensing with a manual transmission - notice the CMBS and RDM buttons on the lower left of the dash, the ACC and LDW buttons on the steering wheel, the camera in front of the rearview mirror, and the radar-style "H" logo on the front grill.

It also appears to have idle-stop - notice the button above the COMFORT/SPORT/+R button to the right of the shifter. In the Honda Pilot, the idle-stop feature defaults to ON each time time the vehicle is shut off - it isn't a persistent setting like newer BMWs.

EDIT: The speedometer reads in km/h, the front side marker lenses are clear, the navigation map is showing to be near Geneva, the "fake plate" is not US-sized, and there are cars in the background not sold in the US, so this must not be a US spec Type R.

I'm glad we probably won't get idle-stop, but Honda Sensing would be nice.

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Well, that's interesting... The Type R appears to be the first application of Honda Sensing with a manual transmission - notice the CMBS and RDM buttons on the lower left of the dash, the ACC and LDW buttons on the steering wheel, the camera in front of the rearview mirror, and the radar-style "H" logo on the front grill.

It also appears to have idle-stop - notice the button above the COMFORT/SPORT/+R button to the right of the shifter. In the Honda Pilot, the idle-stop feature defaults to ON each time time the vehicle is shut off - it isn't a persistent setting like newer BMWs.

EDIT: The speedometer reads in km/h, the front side marker lenses are clear, the navigation map is showing to be near Geneva, the "fake plate" is not US-sized, and there are cars in the background not sold in the US, so this must not be a US spec Type R.

I'm glad we probably won't get idle-stop, but Honda Sensing would be nice.
We beat this to death in a few other threads - the whole argument "I want sensing" vs "If you want sensing, don't get a TypeR." I agree with you that autostart/stop would not be a good idea especially considering oil/coolant/bearing temps but Sensing would be great.

The previous TypeR had it in EU.

romulanvox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord CL7A JDM
Country flag
If this Idle Stop function were to implemented on the CTR, how would it function since the R is a manual?

I'm personally not interested in the function itself but how Honda would implement a anti-stall for a manual. I read for some othe manuals, the engine could be made to continue running even if the revs fall to a very low rpm.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
If this Idle Stop function were to implemented on the CTR, how would it function since the R is a manual?

I'm personally not interested in the function itself but how Honda would implement a anti-stall for a manual. I read for some othe manuals, the engine could be made to continue running even if the revs fall to a very low rpm.
The engine shuts off if Speed = 0 AND Clutch Pedal = released. As soon as you punch in the clutch (traffic light turns green?) the engine restarts. It would also restart on throttle blip.

romulanvox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord CL7A JDM
Country flag
The engine shuts off if Speed = 0 AND Clutch Pedal = released. As soon as you punch in the clutch (traffic light turns green?) the engine restarts. It would also restart on throttle blip.
I see. I saw a YouTube vid about some guy demonstrating how he can ride the clutch in first gear without giving any gas and his car will move. Comments for that vid were that manual cars with powerful engines are able to sustain revs without the engine stalling. Could the CTR be capable of this?

I've always driven autos so this is new to me.

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
I see. I saw a YouTube vid about some guy demonstrating how he can ride the clutch in first gear without giving any gas and his car will move. Comments for that vid were that manual cars with powerful engines are able to sustain revs without the engine stalling. Could the CTR be capable of this?

I've always driven autos so this is new to me.
You can get into first on tons/most of cars without gas if you have the patience. Not something you would do from a stop light though (or ever really unless you just wanted to try it.)

dabx5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
We're happy to share some Civic Type R timing. The press drive launch event will be held the second week of June, in Montreal during the F1 race weekend.

Review embargo lifts on June 19.

CivicX will be in attendance and we'll have full coverage of the press launch, as well as our review :headbang:
I hope Honda fix the Mclaren Honda Engine by then as it would be a little embarrassing to launch your new flagship model when your F1 Honda Engine can't finish the race...

typerfanboy282

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen Jetta Mark VI
We're happy to share some Civic Type R timing. The press drive launch event will be held the second week of June, in Montreal during the F1 race weekend.

Review embargo lifts on June 19.

CivicX will be in attendance and we'll have full coverage of the press launch, as well as our review :headbang:
this doesn't make any sense as I'm going to have my type r on june 8th , according to my dealers eta date for the type r arrival

typerfanboy282

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen Jetta Mark VI
Thanks for the news! Guess it won't be coming to dealers before that date then! :(

Does worldwide launch in this case mean dealers will have it that week perhaps? That is literally the last few days of spring.
not true brother, if you read another thread you would of seen that i am getting mine on june 8th and a bunch of people in the ohio area have cars coming in at the end of this month , what is confusing is that some of you all must just be dealing with horrible dealerships because mine looked in three states and saw type Rs start showing at dealers on like may 28th