2017 Civic Type Arrives In Australia

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Even though Honda's lack of F1 success has nothing to do with their street cars, it still hurts their reputation nonetheless.
Sponsored

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Even though Honda's lack of F1 success has nothing to do with their street cars, it still hurts their reputation nonetheless.
Win on Sunday. Sell on Monday.

I'm an enormous F1 die hard and I thought this season was going to be a turn around for Honda... but now I'm worried they won't make the season if McLaren finds a way out of the contract.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
It's all about dough. Merc sells massive amounts of cars, even at those prices. It's normal they can afford investing unlimited amounts into expensive motorsports like F1.
Honda should sell more to afford that.
Car sales makes the difference, not the qualities of a particular car model(Type R).

I remember the 90s when having a Merc was something special. Now you see them here in Europe everywhere like GM/Ford in America. There is a bigger/smaller Merc for everyone/every pocket. Downside of commercial success.

Last edited:

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.0L Turbo, CVT, Elegance trim
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's all about dough. Merc sells massive amounts of cars, even at those prices. It's normal they can afford investing unlimited amounts into expensive motorsports like F1.
Honda should sell more to afford that.
Car sales makes the difference, not the qualities of a particular car model(Type R).

I remember the 90s when having a Merc was something special. Now you see them here in Europe everywhere like GM/Ford in America. There is a bigger/smaller Merc for everyone/every pocket. Downside of commercial success.
I bet Honda makes more money than Merc, I suppose thats easy to find out and I'm sure that will be verified.

If Merc makes money because of downsizing, what was Honda doing all the time since the beginning?

Its known as a fact that Honda has UNLIMITED budget since they re-entered F1...that shows their commitment and their financial power.
I'm not surprised since they are the biggest engine builder in the world. (cars, bikes, lawnmowers, generators, etc. etc,...)

So, the disappointment and the blow is that more surprising that they are the failures in modern F1.
Money isnt everything....
So why have they been failing since 2015?
Reasons are multiple.
In F1, politics are key.
Merc knew the hybrid era was due and they have long been developping their engine long before everybody else, thats why they are so dominant ever since the Hybrid era...the Mercedes W07 of 2016 was the second most dominant car in F1 history, only after the record holding Mclaren-Honda MP/4 of 1988 ;)

Honda joined too late in the game in 2015, they were confident (arrogant?) they would deliver, but we know how it turned out...but Mclaren is equally to blame for the failures, they forced upon Honda a certain engine architecture..I mean, who dictates Honda how to make an engine? :rolleyes: It should be the other way around.

That is why I have hope for 2019 and later :)
Sponsored