canalrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Hello,
I have a 2017 Civic Sedan Touring.
I see where they have the setting for "Walk away autolock".

In one place this says that this will also make sure the engine is off, but in another place it does not mention turning off the engine, and in a third-place it says the engine must be off before exiting the vehicle and using this function.

I am worried that I will leave the engine running by mistake and run out of gas. I am Deaf so I cannot hear the engine running and it is so smooth that feeling the car does not tell me that the engine is running.

Before giving it a try, can I ask, if I walk away from the car carrying the key fob, and I enabled this "walk away lock" feature, will the car also turn off?

Or maybe there is another setting that I can enable that will turn the engine off?

Personally, I can't imagine a situation where somebody would walk away from the car and want it to run more than 10 minutes before it turns off (similar to the remote start function), but then I can also imagine that if one is driving down the highway and the key fob battery dies…

Thanks,
Barry.
Sponsored

skstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello,
I have a 2017 Civic Sedan Touring.
I see where they have the setting for "Walk away autolock".

In one place this says that this will also make sure the engine is off, but in another place it does not mention turning off the engine, and in a third-place it says the engine must be off before exiting the vehicle and using this function.

I am worried that I will leave the engine running by mistake and run out of gas. I am Deaf so I cannot hear the engine running and it is so smooth that feeling the car does not tell me that the engine is running.

Before giving it a try, can I ask, if I walk away from the car carrying the key fob, and I enabled this "walk away lock" feature, will the car also turn off?

Or maybe there is another setting that I can enable that will turn the engine off?

Personally, I can't imagine a situation where somebody would walk away from the car and want it to run more than 10 minutes before it turns off (similar to the remote start function), but then I can also imagine that if one is driving down the highway and the key fob battery dies…

Thanks,
Barry.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Smart Engine Off? Untitled

the car needs to be shut off before this walk away autolock works.

and iirc, there is no auto shut off feature for the engine. i remember reading a while back that one forum user here left their engine on by accident overnight.

edit: found the thread
http://www.civicx.com/threads/setting-to-turn-off-engine-when-out-of-car.2668/

if youre worried about leaving the engine on by accident, make sure the DRLs are off before you walk away. they shut off after 10-15 seconds after the engine is off

Last edited:

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Since you have a touring you can look at your digital gauge and see if it's blank/off.

OP
OP

canalrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Untitled.png

the car needs to be shut off before this walk away autolock works.

and iirc, there is no auto shut off feature for the engine. i remember reading a while back that one forum user here left their engine on by accident overnight.

edit: found the thread
http://www.civicx.com/threads/setting-to-turn-off-engine-when-out-of-car.2668/

if youre worried about leaving the engine on by accident, make sure the DRLs are off before you walk away. they shut off after 10-15 seconds after the engine is off
Thanks. The DRL's will be a good thing to check to see if the power is off.

Funny, I was talking to a friend tonight with a different make of car. He said he once also left the car running overnight and it was out of gas in the morning.

I hope Honda considers modifying this function or maybe adding an "auto engine off" function. I think this would be very useful.

Barry.
Sponsored