2017 Civic Si press drives in May. Reviews come June 6.

Inertiaman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Mazda 3 i Touring Hatchback
Country flag
Let's hope the author know's something we don't... http://www.torquenews.com/1574/10th-gen-civic-si-most-refined-user-friendly-si-honda-history

"The most powerful Civic Si in brand history: According to American Honda, 2018 Honda Si when released to the buying public sometime in the late spring of 2017..."
Hmm, this guy also predicted an MSRP of $32k..so I actually hope he doesn't have any inside info :confused1:

http://www.torquenews.com/1574/2017-honda-civic-si-reveal-less-revealing
Sponsored

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Where are you people coming up with this stuff? How is it delayed? What is drawn out?

Honda showed the Si prototype November 2016. They said it would go on sale Spring 2017.

It's going to go on sale Spring 2017. Nothing has changed. Nothing is delayed. It has nothing to do with the CTR. It is not drawn out. It is on a schedule, as all corporate products are.

If the issue is that people are excited for the Si and check the forum 30 times a day for the past 4 months in hopes of some new info having sneaked out, and that makes it feel like an eternity to them, or that Honda is teasing or torturing them... that's on those individuals and has nothing to do with Honda.
You must be new here! Welcome!

Many of us have been tuned in before the live unveiling of the Si several months ago which was a complete and utter fail. No specs, prices. Rear wheels spinning and a whole lot of radio silence ever since. A complete marketing fail for this car. We have people here who have extended their leases past their end dates, dealers have no clue when the car is coming and now we are looking at July to get a 2017 model while the competition is unveiling 2018 models with them set to hit dealers by mid September.

I hope this gets you up to speed and believe me I'm just touching on a few of the details. But thanks to a leaked email we know this car has got 192 torques!! SMH

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Seems odd that Honda would call a car launched in June a 2017 model. Half of 2017 will be gone when this car launches. This creates an equity issue with the car. The cars perceived worth will be less based on calling the car a 2017. In 2019 the car will be perceived to be 2 years old which has the potential hurt resale value. Would make far more sense to call it a 2018 model based on this launch timing if true.
It may not be the norm these days, but that's really how it should be. If it comes out smack in the middle of 2017, it's a 2017. And could have even been built in 2016 (not referring to the Si). The trend of mfg's putting out a car in March and calling it next years MY is a bit ridiculous.

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR #2043, 03 S2000, 05 Element, 69 Charger
Honda to Reveal All-new 2017 Civic Si Coupe and Si Sedan via YouTube on April 6
Apr 3, 2017 - TORRANCE, Calif.

Global debut of next-gen sporty Civic Si production models, Thursday, Apr. 6 at 8:00 am PDT on Honda YouTube channel at honda.us/2017CivicSiReveal

The all-new 2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe and Si Sedan will make their first appearance later this week in a dynamic video reveal on Honda's YouTube channel at honda.us/2017CivicSiReveal on Apr. 6 at 8:00 am PDT. An exciting, fast-paced on-track video will showcase the dynamic capabilities of the sportiest and most agile Civic to ever wear the renowned Si badge.

The Civic Si Prototype, which previewed the coupe body style, debuted just prior to the 2016 Los Angeles International Auto Show in November. On April 6, Honda will reveal the production version of the 2017 Si Coupe and the yet-to-be seen Si Sedan. Additional vehicle details, including engine horsepower, torque, price range, on-sale information and images will be available at reveal timing at hondanews.com/honda-automobiles/channels/civic-si.

Powering the 2017 Civic Si is a high-performance, high-torque 1.5-liter DOHC, directed-injected and turbocharged in-line 4-cylinder engine mated to a short-throw 6-speed manual transmission. Additional performance upgrades include a new active damper system, variable ratio steering system, helical limited-slip differential and available high-performance tires.

For More Information
Consumer information is available atautomobiles.honda.com/future-cars/civic-si. To join the Civic community on Facebook, visit facebook.com/hondacivic. To stay informed on Civic Si updates, consumers can sign up for Get on the List notifications at automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/civic-si/signup. Additional media information including high-resolution photography of the Honda Civic Si Prototype is available at hondanews.com/honda-automobiles/channels/civic-si.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Honda to Reveal All-new 2017 Civic Si Coupe and Si Sedan via YouTube on April 6
Yawn! No in-person presentation? Just a pre-made video and a write-up? I have a feeling this SI will be a dud. Let me go check-out when the 2018 WRX will hit the showroom or when can I buy a MK7.5 GTI.

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR #2043, 03 S2000, 05 Element, 69 Charger
Yawn! No in-person presentation? Just a pre-made video and a write-up? I have a feeling this SI will be a dud. Let me go check-out when the 2018 WRX will hit the showroom or when can I buy a MK7.5 GTI.
i get what your saying, however...because there is no in-person presentation doesn't mean there will be no info released. the type r just had a 30 minute presentation and we got next to nothing for info...you can get more info from a video than you would think. For the people interested in this car, this is most likely the biggest info reveal for the car.:headbang:

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
i get what your saying, however...because there is no in-person presentation doesn't mean there will be no info released. the type r just had a 30 minute presentation and we got next to nothing for info...you can get more info from a video than you would think. For the people interested in this car, this is most likely the biggest info reveal for the car.:headbang:

Si is a re-badge EX-T with a tune. Probably Honda's original plan was to call the 2.0L NEW CIVIC, 1.5T for si, 2.0t for CTR, until somebody at Honda decided to make some quick bucks from the 1.5t.

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Si is a re-badge EX-T with a tune. Probably Honda's original plan was to call the 2.0L NEW CIVIC, 1.5T for si, 2.0t for CTR, until somebody at Honda decided to make some quick bucks from the 1.5t.
It will be more than a tune. We already know this. Welcome to the forum tho.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The 1.5T was always scheduled to be part of the Civic lineup. But they did accelerate development by 1-2 years, according to an interview a couple years back. I am thinking the Accord will have a similar array in their lineup (1 NA and two turbo motors).

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
The 1.5T was always scheduled to be part of the Civic lineup. But they did accelerate development by 1-2 years, according to an interview a couple years back. I am thinking the Accord will have a similar array in their lineup (1 NA and two turbo motors).
Yeah , the bigger car will have bigger engine for sure. The Chinese only Honda avancier is running with a detune CTR engine at 278hp already.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
We can almost guarantee the car also goes on sale June 6th... they normally make the press hold their stories until they either go on sale, or right before they go on sale.

Last edited:

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Additional performance upgrades include a new active damper system, variable ratio steering system, helical limited-slip differential and available high-performance tires.
Helical LSD means that this is not just "traction control" which, as far as I can tell, is good because traction control limits slip by reducing, rather than redirecting power. That's some good news from the factory.

I wonder if the active damper system affects all 4 wheels, or just the front?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Helical LSD means that this is not just "traction control" which, as far as I can tell, is good because traction control limits slip by reducing, rather than redirecting power. That's some good news from the factory.

I wonder if the active damper system affects all 4 wheels, or just the front?
LSD was the biggest advantage between ITR and Si in late 90's. Maybe with power:weight too...

Dampers almost have to be on all 4.

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
LSD was the biggest advantage between ITR and Si in late 90's. Maybe with power:weight too...

Dampers almost have to be on all 4.
Watched a review yesterday on YouTube of the Hatch Sport 6 speed. The car was at the limit of traction as he accelerated. Hondata has shown that you can get 220 ft pounds of torque out of that same motor with a few tweaks. I think weak link in the car is the suspension, not the 1.5 liter turbo. That's why the Si will feature an LSD and active suspension as the key upgrades - the motor is NOT the limiting factor.
Sponsored