2017 Civic Si on sale tomorrow, Saturday May 13! Starts at $23,900

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I wish more magazines did that. On first day too I give them props. To save money, the cheap asses at Car & Driver and the other big ones will wait months most likely to get a press beater.
I don't know of any advertising-based media outlets that purchase their own vehicles. As far as I know, they're always lent by the manufacturers who tend to favor those who will say neutral to positive things about their products. If they don't, they don't get invited to press events.

Just like doctors that recommend certain, expensive medications - they can't get money from the pharmaceutical companies, so they hold "continuing education seminars" in exotic locations with fancy accommodations near the ocean for the doctor and his/her entire family.

Consumer Reports is still subject to their own opinions even though they don't receive free vehicles to drive. If I went out and bought one of every sporty compact car tomorrow, took them to the track, and objectively measured the performance of each one, I'd still end up with opinions that wouldn't be shared by everyone. Numbers aren't everything. There are sounds, sights, smells, feelings, and emotions in play that are difficult to impossible to measure.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Both Car & Driver and Road & Track purchase these type of cars for long term road tests. They usually rack on 20-40K before selling or giving back to the dealer under lease.

I've been following their long term test of the GTI with great interest. Hoping they do the same with the Si.

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
Both Car & Driver and Road & Track purchase these type of cars for long term road tests. They usually rack on 20-40K before selling or giving back to the dealer under lease.

I've been following their long term test of the GTI with great interest. Hoping they do the same with the Si.
what are the cliffs for the long term gti

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Both Car & Driver and Road & Track purchase these type of cars for long term road tests.
Thank you - it's late and I've been on this damned forum all day, every day for weeks now. I didn't consider long-term test vehicles since I had my mind wrapped around initial impressions only. On that note, I better rest my eyes before they melt out of my head. :eek:

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
Thank you - it's late and I've been on this damned forum all day, every day for weeks now. I didn't consider long-term test vehicles since I had my mind wrapped around initial impressions only. On that note, I better rest my eyes before they melt out of my head. :eek:
get some sleep man the si is still gona be there lol

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
I wish more magazines did that. On first day too I give them props. To save money, the cheap asses at Car & Driver and the other big ones will wait months most likely to get a press beater.
1. Cars aren't cheap
2. Cars don't hold value
3. When's the last time you bought a magazine?

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
that's still complete b.s., I want to know professional driving impressions, how it stands up to the competition, how it 'feels' , way before it hits dealer lots.
Just one more letdown in the long stream of disappointments known as the once-promising 2017 Civic Si. I personally can't remember a new car model ever released without at least some type of professional reviews available on the day it was the on the showroom floor. As if we didn't already wait long enough already. People still can't even find them and when they do, the dealers are gouging. Maybe by this Fall you'll find one for a reasonable price. What's another 6 months after waiting 2 years already? I have no regrets buying a 2016 FoST last December for $6K off list. But I'll forever be disappointed of the fact that the Si didn't get the 2.0T.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
what are the cliffs for the long term gti
A near-perfect car up to 60K. Beyond that, little things. After 100K, things are expected to get expensive (based on the track record of previous generations).

By contrast, the Si gains its charm as the miles accumulate.

skycrapper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Si
Wait for the test drive. No offense to HPJ, but he's not going to launch these cars like C&D will. It's a mid-to-low 6 second car if that matters to you.
Agreed. There's no way honda made this car with more power and less weight.. Only to be a slower car than the 9th gen and Ex. We need a legit track test

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the opposite is true - there are some Honda fans who are utterly frustrated with the lame and weak offerings Honda offers these days to enthusiasts. People are calling out the superior competition be it the GTI, ST, etc... not because they're plugging for other brands, but because they would really like to see Honda do something great again.

Some of us remember great cars like the Prelude, Integra and S2000. At least AHMC finally allowed the Type-R to come over... but they are still going with weak/mild sauce for everything else. Stupid green tree huggers if you ask me, not car guys, are in charge. Rev hang for better emissions, and the turbo was only added to most models for fuel economy reasons, not performance reasons. Long dead now is the once Honda standard double wishbone suspension.

They still make good cars, but the heart and soul is almost all dead now. Which is really sad to see!
No, I'm pretty sure there's just a bunch of lost posters who think they're in a VW forum ;) I dunno what everyone's problem with this Si is. It's better than the last one and gets gas numbers that are ridiculously close to those of the vanilla Civic.

Mind you, I've never been in a Honda with VTEC. I've only owned regular NA Civics: 83, 15, 17. I'm sure VTEC is a smile production factory, but I really can't see the long-term appeal of having to wring out the revs before you actually start moving. I test-drove the Hatch Sport, and it was a blast. I didn't notice any turbo lag or turbo shove; it just wanted to get going as soon as I pressed the pedal. The Si is gonna be even faster than that, so I'll be plenty happy with it. Does that mean I'm easily satisfied/simple? According to Honda purists, yes.
Sponsored