17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
*palms face*
Who gave the okay on those rear vents? Eye sores, but that's my biggest gripe with the hatch. Others have said it, but it may be the most cohesive design of the 3 body styles. It's like the sedan, but with more fluid lines out back and without the long rear overhang. Can't wait to see it in the flesh..
Good question. I'm really hoping for a couple things -
1. Someone comes up with a nice way to route the exhaust up into the vents. Maybe? Not sure as it might be too darn high to be realistic.
2. TypeR gets functional vents. Honda has always used fake vents but these have to be the biggest!
Sponsored

Hondadude88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
No thank you. Love my sedan. Coupe looks good but has horrible resale. The hatch is pretty much a 4 door with a hatch connected to it. As for the "200 hp Euro" version, pretty much guarantee that the US versions put out close to that. The US versions are underrated on their output numbers. Really hope when Honda brings the "SI" and "Type-R" , they will offer a 4-door version of either and with a stick.

Hondadude88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Seriously. I really wanted this to be my next car but I'll probably go with a Mazda 3 Hatchback because it has a much more refined look. This just looks way too immature
Very true. The hatch looks weird. Back to the drawing boards on that style Honda. Maybe take some pointers from Mazda, considering their hatch looks way better.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every single Civic Honda has made I have always complained about.. grew to love and bought. Honestly.. lol I actually like the hatch from the start. I'm sure to buy one in Energy Green.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
So are they the current ext rims in all black? That looks nice. I got a coupe and I love it. Three year lease. I had to make a trip to home depot and grocery store and it was full
Always been a coupe guy. Thinking next time five door or hrv if they put more power in it. Thats the beautiful thing about leases ha

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually a lease is a terrible idea unless you like throwing money away. Hondas hold really good resale value. You could resale, pt and buy new over and over every 3 yrs for 2k-3k difference.

So are they the current ext rims in all black? That looks nice. I got a coupe and I love it. Three year lease. I had to make a trip to home depot and grocery store and it was full
Always been a coupe guy. Thinking next time five door or hrv if they put more power in it. Thats the beautiful thing about leases ha

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's the reflection, they're the same as the coupe/sedan ext rims if you look at the ones in shadow instead of the ones in more direct light. That threw me off originally too.

I definitely wasn't a huge fan of the hatch styling in the beginning, but seeing these (maybe it's the color) makes me really like how it looks, and i do like hatchbacks, but like you, i'm a coupe guy. I have zero need for the extra doors. If they did a 3 door hatch or 3 door shooting brake civic i'd be all over it. I'm also a fan of the coupe/sedan slightly more toned down styling in terms of the fake intake vents. Getting older and wanting something a little more mature looking (without upping to the accord yet) the civic coupe fits the bill perfectly without looking to racer boy-ish. The hatch has a little bit more of that aftermarket street racer flare with it's huge vents.

I also agree about leasing. I realize it can be a waste of money... but honestly my payments are way lower per month than if i was buying (especially in a 3 year term), i put little to no money down, and i can trade in my car every 2-3 years (whenever i get bored of it) and get a brand new one in a higher trim that would normally be out of my price range if i was trying to buy it (unless i did a 5 year finance term). And i really don't mind having a car payment if it means new car every 3 years. :p

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I also agree about leasing. I realize it can be a waste of money... but honestly my payments are way lower per month than if i was buying (especially in a 3 year term), i put little to no money down, and i can trade in my car every 2-3 years (whenever i get bored of it) and get a brand new one in a higher trim that would normally be out of my price range if i was trying to buy it (unless i did a 5 year finance term). And i really don't mind having a car payment if it means new car every 3 years. :p
One advantage to leasing that I've found - Honda and Acura do 'up front buyout pricing' so you know what your buyout is at the end of the term. Assuming you get a good interest rate when you buyout, (my last new car was 1.9% so I'd hope for about that or maybe up to 1% more, but any more than that and I don't know...) the actual out of pocket cost of leasing a car vs buying a car isn't too much higher assuming you do in fact buy it out at the end. It's essentially like taking the car and financing it for 8 years.
The cost of leasing my MDX and then buying it out at the end was about 900 more than just buying it in the beginning. I haven't looked at NPV or FV or any of that stuff, but I did consider interest.
If possible, I might lease the new TypeR just to keep my monthly payment low - knowing that my buyout at the end will just be spreading the payment out further. On the other hand, I could put down around $10k cash, sell my 09Si and throw that cash at the loan and refinance for a lower payment...maybe come out about the same.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One advantage to leasing that I've found - Honda and Acura do 'up front buyout pricing' so you know what your buyout is at the end of the term. Assuming you get a good interest rate when you buyout, (my last new car was 1.9% so I'd hope for about that or maybe up to 1% more, but any more than that and I don't know...) the actual out of pocket cost of leasing a car vs buying a car isn't too much higher assuming you do in fact buy it out at the end. It's essentially like taking the car and financing it for 8 years.
The cost of leasing my MDX and then buying it out at the end was about 900 more than just buying it in the beginning. I haven't looked at NPV or FV or any of that stuff, but I did consider interest.
If possible, I might lease the new TypeR just to keep my monthly payment low - knowing that my buyout at the end will just be spreading the payment out further. On the other hand, I could put down around $10k cash, sell my 09Si and throw that cash at the loan and refinance for a lower payment...maybe come out about the same.
Also agree, if you buyout at the end it's basically like financing for an extra long terms (great for people that can't outright afford the financing payments). My 2014 coupe was about $22k after taxes are factored in. At the end of my lease i could opt to finance it for another 3-5 years to own it and my payments would actually go down significantly from what i pay on the lease now because i'll only owe like $12k on the car.

For me personally, i have a great relationship with honda... have leased 4 cars in the last 10 years, spotless payment history. I get good interest rates, low payments and little to no down payments when i get a new car, and in 3 years when i'm bored of it i get a new one. It's not the cheapest option, but it's all about priorities. I'm more than willing to have a car payment i can afford if it means i can get a new car every 3 years no questions asked. That said, i'm considering financing my next civic (2017 coupe EXT) and putting down about 25% of the value of the car up front to get the payments down, but i might still end up leasing depending on interest rate and payment amounts. Like you said, i could always finance at the end of the lease if i want to keep the car.

bobindy

Bobindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic Si 4 door
Country flag
*palms face*
Who gave the okay on those rear vents? Eye sores, but that's my biggest gripe with the hatch. Others have said it, but it may be the most cohesive design of the 3 body styles. It's like the sedan, but with more fluid lines out back and without the long rear overhang. Can't wait to see it in the flesh..
I agree. The fake vents kill it for me. Did they have to make them so big an obviously fake? Sigh.

I'm guessing the NSX is the inspiration for the XXL sized vents in the rear bumper cover?

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Hatchback (US market) spy pics 2017NSXVents

Last edited:

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree. The fake vents kill it for me. Did they have to make them so big an obviously fake? Sigh.

I'm guessing the NSX is the inspiration for the XXL sized vents in the rear bumper cover?

2017NSXVents.jpg
The designers said they took inspiration from the NSX and Lambo for the appearance of the CTR/Hatch civic, which probably explains the giant fake intake vents. Just another reason i prefer the more subtle styling of the coupe/sedan.

Harry Da Hamster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Compared to traditional Honda design language, that is definitely not toned down. I love how Honda didn't pussyfoot this one. The sharp angles and the large rear bumper vent's look awesome!

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually a lease is a terrible idea unless you like throwing money away. Hondas hold really good resale value. You could resale, pt and buy new over and over every 3 yrs for 2k-3k difference.
That is often the conventional wisdom, but I come out ahead on my Oddy and never have to worry about having a car that's out of warranty.

One shredded trans or other major problem and there goes any potential savings.

StevieJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Kinda bummed about this. Had I known a hatch was on the way I probably would have waited for it.
Sponsored