2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring - Weird Audio Issues

Grimtast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Hello. I am 1 month into leasing a new 2017 Hatchback Sport Touring. I am absolutely in love with the car, but have noticed a couple quirks about some things that I was hoping to have answered here. I searched all through the internet and CivicX before posting, so hopefully you guys can help me out! Thanks in advance.

1. My Google Play songs on my Verizon Galaxy Note 5 (via bluetooth) lag when skipping songs. I have to wait for each song to get about 7 seconds in before I can change songs again (via either steering wheel or the Track button on the Display Audio). It's like the car needs to catch up to the fact that the phone changed songs before it registers my request to skip again. Any ideas how to reduce this irritating lag? It takes way too long just to skip even 5 songs. This wouldn't be so bad, were it not for my second problem...

2. I can't see my list of bluetooth songs in the dashboard nor the Display Audio. The manual states that when the dash is on the music menu, you can hit Enter on the steering wheel and see the list of songs you're in. I know this works, because it displays flawlessly with Sirius. But with bluetooth, I get a "01 No Title" in my dash when I hit Enter while my music is playing [Pic 1], and a simply blank screen when I go to expand the song list on the Display Audio [Pic 2]. How can I make my current bluetooth playlist show up?

3. I have no idea how to fine-tune the audio settings for what I listen to. Unfortunately, I can't be too specific with my settings, due to the fact that I listen to multiple genres. Still, was wondering if there is a nice sweet spot for the Middle and Treble sliders for this sweet Sport Touring audio system. Or, perhaps right smack dab in the middle really is the best? [Pic 3]

4. Lastly, my front tweeters sound a bit scratchy, especially when instrumentals are playing pretty loud. Is this due to the system not being fully burned-in because the car is so new, or is it an unfortunate side effect of this not being the type of high-quality audio system you'd find in luxury cars? I think the scratchiness has gone down over time, but I could just be getting used to it.

Thank you so much for your help! I love this car. Sure beats the 1998 CR-V I left behind!
Sponsored

Nexus90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 C300, 14 corolla, 17 civic
Country flag
It's not much help but I too have noticed a lag using my phones Bluetooth so your not alone in that department, I'm also about a month in with my ride, Sport touring. As far as tuning it's a little weird because initially I had it plus 2 base and plus 3 mid and treble but now I had to lower them all to 1 as I was hearing slight cracking in the noise. For the most part volume wise it's enjoyable for something from the factory but the lag on the Bluetooth is super annoying. I think in order to get the full use you need to get the Honda link app but I heard most ppl complain that it doesn't work.

OP
OP
Grimtast

Grimtast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not much help but I too have noticed a lag using my phones Bluetooth so your not alone in that department, I'm also about a month in with my ride, Sport touring. As far as tuning it's a little weird because initially I had it plus 2 base and plus 3 mid and treble but now I had to lower them all to 1 as I was hearing slight cracking in the noise. For the most part volume wise it's enjoyable for something from the factory but the lag on the Bluetooth is super annoying. I think in order to get the full use you need to get the Honda link app but I heard most ppl complain that it doesn't work.
I use the HondaLink app, though it seems pretty useless other than a quick way to dial roadside assistance. Can you tell me if you have the same issue I describe in #2? What happens for you when you're playing bluetooth music and you click Enter on your steering wheel while your steering wheel screen is on your music menu? Does it list your songs?

Nexus90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I use the HondaLink app, though it seems pretty useless other than a quick way to dial roadside assistance. Can you tell me if you have the same issue I describe in #2? What happens for you when you're playing bluetooth music and you click Enter on your steering wheel while your steering wheel screen is on your music menu? Does it list your songs?
My bad same thing man, I can't seem to access anything via the steering wheel in terms of music catalog via phone BT. Which sucks, defeats the purpose having such a feature and it doesn't work. I have a galaxy s 6 btw idk if it matters but with t-mobile. Oddly enough my 14 corolla could do the same thing and it actually worked.

OP
OP
Grimtast

Grimtast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My bad same thing man, I can't seem to access anything via the steering wheel in terms of music catalog via phone BT. Which sucks, defeats the purpose having such a feature and it doesn't work. I have a galaxy s 6 btw idk if it matters but with t-mobile. Oddly enough my 14 corolla could do the same thing and it actually worked.
Interesting. I have a Samsung Note 5; perhaps it's an issue with Samsung phones. Still, I can't believe more people aren't reporting this issue. My GF has a motorola and we haven't yet hooked it up to the car, so I will use her bluetooth and see if the issue still persists. I will report back!

kwaalude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Modern Steel Metallic Accord 2.0 Touring, 2001 Silverstone Metallic S2000
Vehicle Showcase
i've got a Nexus 6p (so not Samsung) and have #1 happen occasionally via bluetooth, although i use PowerAmp and not GPM.

concerning #2 i never get album art via BT and there are no good ways to play my downloaded music via Android Auto. my company car is a Scion iM which works fine with album art and BT...pisses me off.

can't help with #3/4... i think my speakers sound pretty good and have only gotten better since i took delivery on feb 1st.

Nexus90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i've got a Nexus 6p (so not Samsung) and have #1 happen occasionally via bluetooth, although i use PowerAmp and not GPM.

concerning #2 i never get album art via BT and there are no good ways to play my downloaded music via Android Auto. my company car is a Scion iM which works fine with album art and BT...pisses me off.

can't help with #3/4... i think my speakers sound pretty good and have only gotten better since i took delivery on feb 1st.
I can definitely said after the break in period mine are good too sound wise. Crazy thing is my 14 corolla let's me do everything through the car once my phone is connected. Like I didn't need an extra app toyota encouraged use of EnTune but everything worked fine with out it. I'm a little confused really maybe using the data port for the USB instead of BT. I mean I get like basic information artist, song album but that's it I can't open up a library or anything of that nature.

H23civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Not sure as far as Honda's go for audio units , but with Nissan we've had similar issues where an audio unit software update was needed to fix issues like this. I work for a large Nissan dealer and have done many an update for issues with displaying artist info and other random problems. Also as long as it's under 3/36 honda will cover the update under warranty.

Nexus90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure as far as Honda's go for audio units , but with Nissan we've had similar issues where an audio unit software update was needed to fix issues like this. I work for a large Nissan dealer and have done many an update for issues with displaying artist info and other random problems. Also as long as it's under 3/36 honda will cover the update under warranty.
Thanks for that I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they will look into that.

H23civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Thanks for that I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they will look into that.
No problem. Hope they have some sort of fix for you. I've been told there's a software update for my 12 si for months now, just don't feel like paying the 120$ to get the update. I'll just look at my phone for artist info until I get my new car. Lol

kwaalude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Modern Steel Metallic Accord 2.0 Touring, 2001 Silverstone Metallic S2000
Vehicle Showcase
I can definitely said after the break in period mine are good too sound wise. Crazy thing is my 14 corolla let's me do everything through the car once my phone is connected. Like I didn't need an extra app toyota encouraged use of EnTune but everything worked fine with out it. I'm a little confused really maybe using the data port for the USB instead of BT. I mean I get like basic information artist, song album but that's it I can't open up a library or anything of that nature.
Using the data port sucks too because there is no (good) way to play music saved on your phone through Android Auto. In fact, it's so infuriating, that I disabled AA so I could still use the faster charging ability of that front USB port while still being able to listen to all my music.

Nexus90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No problem. Hope they have some sort of fix for you. I've been told there's a software update for my 12 si for months now, just don't feel like paying the 120$ to get the update. I'll just look at my phone for artist info until I get my new car. Lol
I've been doing the same thing just an inconvenience you know. It's like why have a half ass feature, if the cars supposed to help me keep my eyes on the road type stuff.
Sponsored