1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →

Featured 2017 2018 Civic Type R likely (not earlier)

Discussion in 'General 10th Gen Discussions' started by Administrator, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    First Name:
    Admin
    Car(s):
    Honda
    Can't say I'm not disappointed that the Type R won't be in the US next year.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. s2ker

s2ker Senior Member

Car(s):
    AP1 S2000
    I never buy first year model anyway. This will give em a chance to work out any kinks in the rest of the world first.

3. Moichi Member

Car(s):
    Fit & CR-V
    Does this mean that just the US won't get it for a couple of years, or the entire world? Couldn't tell from the article.

4. Tap Out Senior Member

Car(s):
    2012 CRV
    :(

5. Viva la vida

Viva la vida Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Civic EX-T
    I think they are talking about the US only. What's surprising is they are expecting to sell at least a few thousand a month. That's actually decent numbers.

6. Whoosh Senior Member

Car(s):
    FJ Cruiser
    Missed that part. I'm surprised by that figure. It's not a cheap car. But I guess it has such a great reputation and the performance to back it up.

I wouldn't be buying for a few years anyway so doesn't affect me but I was hoping to start seeing it on our roads. First time that happens I'm gonna flip out!

7. Guzmannn

Guzmannn Member

Featured Threads:
    Nooooo soooo close yet so far! Guess we'll have to live vicariously through other country's owners for a while. I know I'll end up watching every review on youtube, multiple times :)

8. Golf6 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    MK6 Golf
    Another good bit from that interview is Mendel said the the U.S. spec Type R will basically be the same as the European one, so no major differences and that should mean no watered down or bastardized U.S. version like we always get.

9. NIN

NIN Senior Member

Car(s):
    Hondas 4 life
    That's awesome news. That would have been the ultimate smack in the face if after all these years we finally get the Type-R but a nerfed version of it. I was so disappointed when it happened back in the day with the E36 M3 and was never able to respect the US version much whenever I saw one. Almost seemed like an imposter/poser version.

10. Golf6 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    MK6 Golf
    Just happy we're getting the Type R at all even if it means later than the rest of the world. Too many great cars have never made it here because of homologation issues. The pre-R35 Nissan GT-R and the Civic Type R are too of the biggest examples.

11. Samir Member

Agreed. And now both will be available here once the Type-R hits our market.

Never understood how these sports cars were kept out of the US considering we're the largest market for sports cars in the world. Makes no sense.

12. s2ker

s2ker Senior Member

Car(s):
    AP1 S2000
    Bean counters at work. They probably have projections and modeling for how many of each high performance model could sell in each market and decided that for those cars the costs of homologating the cars for the US market wasn't worth it considering how many they projected they could sell here.

13. Uncle Jack Member

They do have a point tho. The fact that hot hatches are less popular than boring sedans says a lot about the market. Unfortunately most of the country apparently can't spot a good thing, they are to blame for us not getting a lot of the exciting cars in Europe.

14. Samir Member

Yea but do they actually sell a larger ratio of the exciting versions of a car vs. the boring versions in the other countries that get the exciting cars? Not rhetorical, I don't know the answer.

15. Uncle Jack Member

I'm sure they dont but at least there is enough volume apparently for the companies to offer them while the domestic brands here pump out the same boring cars or import watered down versions compared to the European/Asian counterparts. Even the domestic companies know this... It took Ford how many years to bring the Focus RS here? and it don't get more American than Ford.