MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
My want factor just went up 10 fold. The new gen Civic can't be here soon enough. Sedan comes first this year then coupe next year?
Sponsored

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
Thanks for my new wallpapers :) Any way you can post other colors? Would love to see a blue or red.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honga Magoomobile
Love it! - and I'd love to see the coupe (and Si variant) available outside the North America, and for right-hand drive markets. The 10th gen Type-R of course has been slated to be based on the 5-door hatch, which will be manufactured in left and right hand drive versions at Swindon, but this rendering shows huge potential for the new coupe.

TG3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
The concept is nice, I hope it becomes a reality. It's definitely nicer than the current euro Type-R hatch.

Emina

Threads
Reaction score
Love it! - and I'd love to see the coupe (and Si variant) available outside the North America, and for right-hand drive markets. The 10th gen Type-R of course has been slated to be based on the 5-door hatch, which will be manufactured in left and right hand drive versions at Swindon, but this rendering shows huge potential for the new coupe.
First post! I'm newer to Civics so forgive the newbie question but has the 10th generation Type R been confirmed already to be the one shown in Geneva? I know I am probably in the minority but I was hoping for something other than a hatch and this concept blew my mind. :)

Boarshead77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW FK8; previously, 2011 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This is gorgeous! Great work! This rendering brought this forum to my attention. Subscribed!

I think this is better looking than the Euro R. However, it would be wise for Honda to bring the R in 4 or 5 door trim (which I believe it is), as it will be easier to sell a $30K-$40K civic to an older demographic. This demographic will probably have a little more money, but will probably also have more responsibilities, like mortgages, children, etc., and a 2 door just won't cut it. (I am in this demographic...haha).

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
The new North American coupe looks amazing. But anything less than a K20 turbo will be a huge disappointment. A 1.5 vtec turbo just ain't gonna cut it.

From what it sounds like, only the 5 door will come as a Type R. Honda isn't going to let the Coupe Si model outshine it (which would be such a shame, given how much better the coupe looks).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honga Magoomobile
First post! I'm newer to Civics so forgive the newbie question but has the 10th generation Type R been confirmed already to be the one shown in Geneva? I know I am probably in the minority but I was hoping for something other than a hatch and this concept blew my mind. :)
Welcome (I'm new here too). No, the car shown in Geneva is based on the 'facelift' 9th gen Euro hatch, already getting toward the end of it's product life. There has been some confusion in the press as to whether the US would get this version, but it's now clear the Honda are intending the first US Type-R to be based on an all new 10th gen design, of which we have yet to see any hint of. Perhaps the 'Honda Concept B' shown in China last year provides some hint of what a 10th gen Euro hatch could look like. If so, it has potential to be a terrific Type-R.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/2017-2018-civic-type-r-likely-not-earlier.21/

Last edited by a moderator:

M1160

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of Uber
Yea and the reason is they will sell more of them that way. Most of the Type R sales will come from outside of U.S. where the 5 door is going to outsell the traditional coupe.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honga Magoomobile
Yea and the reason is they will sell more of them that way. Most of the Type R sales will come from outside of U.S. where the 5 door is going to outsell the traditional coupe.
I'd go for a Civic coupe Type-R if it were available outside the US market and in right-hand drive. No need for five doors for a Type-R for me. Still, if the the 10th Gen 5-door hatch looks as good in styling as the coupe, then I'd be in. I'm not fussed on the existing 9th Gen 5-door - it drives well enough, interior is very good, but it's external styling has never done it for me. The Type-R based on this model will I've no doubt, be fun and a beast to drive, but being so late in it's 9th gen platform life, means it's essentially an interim placeholder and looking dated before it's even on the market.

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
I'd go for a Civic coupe Type-R if it were available outside the US market and in right-hand drive. No need for five doors for a Type-R for me. Still, if the the 10th Gen 5-door hatch looks as good in styling as the coupe, then I'd be in. I'm not fussed on the existing 9th Gen 5-door - it drives well enough, interior is very good, but it's external styling has never done it for me. The Type-R based on this model will I've no doubt, be fun and a beast to drive, but being so late in it's 9th gen platform life, means it's essentially an interim placeholder and looking dated before it's even on the market.
I guess the 5-door Type R model they introduced in Geneva this year isn't considered the 10th gen 5-door, and we haven't seen what the 10th gen 5-door hatch looks like yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honga Magoomobile
I guess the 5-door Type R model they introduced in Geneva this year isn't considered the 10th gen 5-door, and we haven't seen what the 10th gen 5-door hatch looks like yet?
The current Type-R is definitely not the 10th gen 5-door. It's based on the 9th gen 5-door released back in 2011, which has never been a big seller for Honda - sales have been well under the anticipated numbers, due I think, to the polarising external design and poor rear visibility. It can look ok from certain angles in photos, but in the flesh I don't think its pleasing to the eye, particularly the rear. I'm nearly ready to buy a Type-R (or even an Si Coupe if it were ever to be made available in this part of the word), but I'm going to hold off until I see the 10th Gen 5-door.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honga Magoomobile
Very confused. So what is this Type R that was just introduced in Geneva last month? http://www.civicx.com/threads/civic-type-r-reveal-photos-from-geneva-show-including-interior.25/

Isn't this the 10th gen Type R?
Definitely not - in Europe it's commonly called the 'FK2' Type-R, FK2 being the moniker for the 9th Gen Euro Civic. Honda have been perhaps a little dishonest in obscuring the truth - they have been under pressure to bring the Type-R to the north american market, so they announce at the NY Car Show that they will indeed do so. Much of the motoring press then assumed and reported that it would be the Geneva Type-R (based on the 9th Gen Euro Civic). However the devil was in the detail - the US Honda VP subsequently revealed it would likely be 2018 before a Type-R is available in the US. I guess it's possible it could still be based on the 9th Gen Type-R shown at Geneva, but I think unlikely. Firstly the 9th Gen 5-door is due soon for replacement (probably late 2016 - early 2017 - the facelift model has just been released). Secondly I doubt Honda will commit to spending the significant sums required for US homologation based on the likely small sales of a short-run outgoing Type-R model. Instead, I suspect Honda will be putting their resources into an all new 10th gen 5-door Civic as a true 'world car' (including US homologation), and this will become the basis for the new Type-R and other 5-door models for North America. With the extensive development work already done for the (Geneva) 9th Gen Type-R, it should translate quickly across to the new 10th gen platform, hopefully ready for release sometime 2018. But I could be wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited: