Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Honda has made it no secret that it benchmarked the all new 2016 Civic against the Audi A3 in its quest to better match the Civic's European counterparts. Does the 2016 Honda Civic sedan accomplish this?

Let's check out how they match up on paper and in their designs.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic vs 2016 Audi A3 Comparison 2016-civic-vs-audi-a3

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic vs 2016 Audi A3 Comparison 2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-1

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic vs 2016 Audi A3 Comparison 2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-2

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic vs 2016 Audi A3 Comparison 2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-3

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic vs 2016 Audi A3 Comparison 2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-4

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic vs 2016 Audi A3 Comparison 2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-5

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic vs 2016 Audi A3 Comparison 2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-6

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic vs 2016 Audi A3 Comparison 2016-civic-vs-Audi-A3-7

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really liked the new A3 when it came out... the A4 was always just a little too large for my taste and the A5 will forever be out of my price range. I sat in an A3 at the autoshow last year and was shocked how small the interior is. It didn't help the seats were power (and not operational/adjustable) so i was up a bit further than i would have liked, but the cabin seems so tight in the A3, which is odd because it's platform mate, the Golf, doesn't seem that tight. Also, the seats were as hard as rocks... literally like rocks with about an inch of cushion on top of them (not sure if it had an optional seating package installed or not).

I don't expect the civic to be quite as dynamic as the A3 in handling, or hit the level of interior quality of that car, but i think for the price point and the class the civic is a fair competitor to the A3 (and golf more so obviously). The lower curb weight of the civic, paired with the more powerful engine (besides torque) means competitive 0-60 times. I'm sure that the level of quiet in the cabin, and the smoothness of ride is comparable too. The civic (at least in base forms) will only lack in the handling prowess of the A3 which is near GTI standards. But that's what the Si is for :D

Just my 2 cents on it

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
According to EPA estimates, you'll save about $550 a year in gas with the Civic turbo compared to A3 turbo.

The A3 is smaller than the Civic, and yet weighs almost 300 pounds more.

I think if you put the options on the A3 to try to equal the features in the Civic Touring, you'd be looking at c. $40k

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
While I haven't sat in the new Civic I'm sure the A3's fit and finish is better. I also like the size of the Audi better although as Rob said it does come at a cost of a more cramped interior. One thing from looking at this which I can't believe I'm saying but the Audi's exterior looks comparably frumpier and outdated compared to the Civic X, speaks volumes about how well Honda did with the design.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While I haven't sat in the new Civic I'm sure the A3's fit and finish is better. I also like the size of the Audi better although as Rob said it does come at a cost of a more cramped interior. One thing from looking at this which I can't believe I'm saying but the Audi's exterior looks comparably frumpier and outdated compared to the Civic X, speaks volumes about how well Honda did with the design.
IMO the A3 would benefit from a fastback design similar to the TT or larger A7. It'd make it look longer and sleeker than the current stubbed rear window does, but it'd also make back seat space more cramped with less headroom. A3 shouldve stayed a hatchback i think.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
IMO the A3 would benefit from a fastback design similar to the TT or larger A7. It'd make it look longer and sleeker than the current stubbed rear window does, but it'd also make back seat space more cramped with less headroom. A3 shouldve stayed a hatchback i think.
I don't think the A3 has enough length to pull that off well. It'll end up looking like the end is melting like the Mercedes CLA.

The CivicX front wins. A3 front is boring (need the S3 to match the looks of the Civic).

A3 wins side view. Shorter overhangs and high door line looks sportier.

Back is a tie. The Civic is a little overstyled and the Audi is understyled.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
My local Audi dealer has an A3 1.8 with the Tech pkg and the Premium pkg that lists for $39k. It doesn't have anything equivalent to Honda Sensing, and so the closest new Civic would be the EXL Navi 1.5T with a list of $25.5K. So a $13.5k difference....

Tamacake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si G8
There are no needs much brain to notice that a few calculations strikes Civic.
Audi A3 1.8T is quite expensive and does not offer much more by itself.

I do not believe that 1.5T CVT performance is able to match A3 1.8T DSG, but Honda has a great mechanical reliability tradition, CivicX is bigger and more spacious. Although the A3 has greater refinement inside.
But the luck-strike for Honda is offering several safety equipment, such as Honda Sensing, for a much lower value.
A3 with the same equipment of the Civic 1.5T EXL Navi almost gets another Civic 2.0 ...

Last edited:

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
There are no needs much brain to notice that a few calculations strikes Civic.
Audi A3 1.8T is quite expensive and does not offer much more by itself.

I do not believe that 1.5T CVT performance is able to fight against A31.8T DSG , but Honda has the mechanical reliability tradition, CivicX is bigger, more spacious. Although the A3 has greater refinement inside.
But the big Honda is offering various security equipment, such as Honda Sensing , for a much lower value.

A3 with the same equipment of the Civic 1.5T EXL Navi almost gets another Civic 2.0 ...
Performance wise it matches it, and in some tests bests it.

Brett Bynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 honda fit sport
I love how the fully loaded Civic is more than a match for an entry level A3... Just saying.. Audi isn't all that....

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
The CivicX front wins. A3 front is boring (need the S3 to match the looks of the Civic).

A3 wins side view. Shorter overhangs and high door line looks sportier.

Back is a tie. The Civic is a little overstyled and the Audi is understyled.
I agree, and I'll add that the Civic interior looks nicer. I dislike the round vents and tablet-on-a-charger-stand look of the MMI/LCD display whatever it's called thingy. There are quite a few budget cars over the years that have had this vent style.

Otherwise, I really like the design language in VAG cars such as A cars and the Golf 3 door and wagon variants.

My coworkers have A4's, and yes they are as unreliable and troublesome as their reputations say. But, very nice driving cars.

I think it's not really right to compare Japanese to German design. Usually over the years they have always been apples to oranges, and that's OK. The market likes variety, and the Japanese design language is still favored by lots of people. I think Honda really nailed it on the CivicX, looks like a Honda should look, and not a wannabe or a German pretender....

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
I think it's not really right to compare Japanese to German design. Usually over the years they have always been apples to oranges, and that's OK. The market likes variety, and the Japanese design language is still favored by lots of people. I think Honda really nailed it on the CivicX, looks like a Honda should look, and not a wannabe or a German pretender....
Agreed on the Japanese design language vs German. Usually very different. With the new Civic if you removed its badges and front grill (giveaway that it's a Honda) most people would still guess it's a Japanese car. Can't say for pretender brands like Hyundai though. No matter how far they've come since their beginning their sedans are nothing but pieced together copy cat parts and designs from various German cars. :thumbsdown:

lolayu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf
New here, own VW Golf, previously owned numbers of German cars including Audi and BMW.
All I can say this new Civic looks awesome and A3 can't hold candle to it. German cars have become alike and boring, not to mention price.
My next car will be Subaru WRX/STI.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
New here, own VW Golf, previously owned numbers of German cars including Audi and BMW.
All I can say this new Civic looks awesome and A3 can't hold candle to it. German cars have become alike and boring, not to mention price.
My next car will be Subaru WRX/STI.
New Civic looks awesome but you're buying a WRX.... ?
Sponsored