2016 Honda Civic 2.0L sedan in snow? How is it?

bountybuddy

First Name
bountybuddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic, 2008 Pontiac Vibe and 2004 Pontiac Vibe
Will someone that has driven there 2.0L Civic sedan in the snow please give me their opinion on how well the car handles the snow and ice. Thank you for your help.
Sponsored

InlawBiker

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Subaru Tribeca, BMW F800gs
In general FWD Hondas do very well in the snow. I am a full time skiier and have used an Accord as my ski car for multiple years. Tires make a big difference as always. The only issue is low ground clearance, so watch out for snow piles or plow lines. I always carried chains but seldom needed them. If you put the chains on it will be basically unstoppable, better than a 4wd car without chains.

From worst to best snow cars -

RWD, especially trucks with an empty bed - bad to iffy.
FWD, mostly OK.
4WD, good
AWD, better
FWD with chains, go anywhere with clearance.
4WD or AWD with chains, go anywhere.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll be good as long as you've got the ground clearance. Very stable and controllable.

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2001 Acura CL Type-S
Country flag
It’s absolutely terrible with the standard all season Kinergy GT tires...these were for best rolling resistance... it has no grip for wet leaves let alone any snow .....
for snow driving in Minnesota I put on my blizzaks... only way to go for winter if you want to be able to have control

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Car is great in the snow just like that last two gens. I personalty don't like the fact that I don't have a mechanical handbrake and I find the VSA intrusive. These are all person preference problems but overall I would say civics are amazing in the snow.

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
My '06 Accord was one of the best snow cars I ever owned, only bested by the Audi Q5 my wife had (traded for a '17 CRV). I'm hoping the Civic is the same. I might take my wife's car on the really bad days (her commute is 1.5 miles, mine is 39 miles).

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Consumer Reports says that you are better off with FWD and snow tires than you are with AWD and all-season tires.

RelapseZ

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Drove mine with the stock tires after a bad storm. It was surprisingly controllable, but if you want to go up an incline, it's not powerful enough to get up the hill, at least in the CVT.

Lovic87

First Name
Lovic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 WOP Sport CVT '18 GTI SE 6MT
Country flag
Snow tires are your friend. And fat people. Load them in your civic.

2 winters ago, before my wife killed her '11 Accord Coupe, I screwed around in a parking lot while a friend plowed in front of our apartment. My TL and her coupe had the same tires, and similar remaining tread. My tubby (and lowered) TL accelerated and stopped better than her Accord, which still did very well.

Moral of the story, get snow tires and fat friends.
Sponsored