2016 Civic Touring Will Not Start Or Able To Disengage Parking Breaks

xtenant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Have this happen to anyone else?

Yesterday my son went to move his 3 months old 2016 Civic Touring, so my wife can get her car out of the driveway. He left his car double parked for a moment, and when he returned, the car will not Start. It was not a dead battery issue, because everything in the car still worked. All the systems was displaying it had a problem one at a time in the center gauge. With the car not being able to Start, the car was stuck in Park and the Parking brake was stuck engaged. Honda’s Roadside Assistance was called. Took them 2 hours to arrive, but could not do anything to help. The tow truck driver offered to tear apart the center console to try disengaging the Parking brake. He even offered to cut the shift lever boot to try to move the shift lever out of Park. Of course I did not allow him to do anything destructive. Then I called the dealership where the car was purchased for help. Spoke with two different service writers, but neither one had any idea what to do. Then on the third call, they offered to have a Tech call me back with help. This is going on three hours now. Honda’s Roadside Assistance came and left, without offering any help other than to destroy the center console. I waited for the Tech to call back with some kind of solution, but nothing after another hour. Now, four hours of being stranded. Luckily it was in front of my home and not in the middle of some remote area. I finally thought of disconnecting the battery to ‘Reboot’ the electrical system. I disconnected the battery, and waited couple of minutes before reconnecting. That worked! I was finally able to Start the car and disengage the Parking brakes. So, if any of you are thinking of purchasing a new Honda Civic, forget about Honda’s Roadside Assistance and don’t purchase your Honda from Honda of Serramonte. Neither will give you any kind of after purchase support.

Sorry for the long rant.
Sponsored

Last edited:

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Wow Im Sorry to hear that. Let Honda of America know as well. Definitely shouldn't have happened

OP
OP

xtenant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Wow Im Sorry to hear that. Let Honda of America know as well. Definitely shouldn't have happened
Hi Nicoled985,

Thanks for your reply. I was not able to locate an email address for Honda of America. Only phone numbers are listed on their web site. Do you have one you can post?

Thanks.

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi Nicoled985,

Thanks for your reply. I was not able to locate an email address for Honda of America. Only phone numbers are listed on their web site. Do you have one you can post?

Thanks.
I will see if I can find something for you

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I tweeted them for you asking if they have an email address. If you have twitter you can tweet them or direct message them through twitter as well

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
Have this happen to anyone else?

Yesterday my son went to move his 3 months old 2016 Civic Touring, so my wife can get her car out of the driveway. He left his car double parked for a moment, and when he returned, the car will not Start. It was not a dead battery issue, because everything in the car still worked. All the systems was displaying it had a problem one at a time in the center gauge. With the car not being able to Start, the car was stuck in Park and the Parking Break was stuck engaged. Honda’s Roadside Assistance was called. Took them 2 hours to arrive, but could not do anything to help. The tow truck driver offered to tear apart the center console to try disengaging the Parking Break. He even offered to cut the shift lever boot to try to move the shift lever out of Park. Of course I did not allow him to do anything destructive. Then I called the dealership where the car was purchased for help. Spoke with two different service writers, but neither one had any idea what to do. Then on the third call, they offered to have a Tech call me back with help. This is going on three hours now. Honda’s Roadside Assistance came and left, without offering any help other than to destroy the center console. I waited for the Tech to call back with some kind of solution, but nothing after another hour. Now, four hours of being stranded. Luckily it was in front of my home and not in the middle of some remote area. I finally thought of disconnecting the battery to ‘Reboot’ the electrical system. I disconnected the battery, and waited couple of minutes before reconnecting. That worked! I was finally able to Start the car and disengage the Parking Breaks. So, if any of you are thinking of purchasing a new Honda Civic, forget about Honda’s Roadside Assistance and don’t purchase your Honda from Honda of Serramonte. Neither will give you any kind of after purchase support.

Sorry for the long rant.
Sorry to hear this...hey, can you post a snap of your brake on the console. Just curious what you mean? thanks

OP
OP

xtenant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Sorry to hear this...hey, can you post a snap of your brake on the console. Just curious what you mean? thanks
Hello Ben&Jen,

Here's a photo of the center console where the Shift Lever, Brake Hold, Parking Brake, and ECON Button are located.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic Touring Will Not Start Or Able To Disengage Parking Breaks img-469551783-1454699948217

Attachments

leah7471

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EL
Exact same thing happened to me today! My car is in the shop, and I have a loaner car... Roadside assistance sent a tow truck right away and towed the car to the dealership. They were very helpful, but it sure is inconvenient to have your car be inoperable! I buy new cars to avoid being without a car.

OP
OP

xtenant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Exact same thing happened to me today! My car is in the shop, and I have a loaner car... Roadside assistance sent a tow truck right away and towed the car to the dealership. They were very helpful, but it sure is inconvenient to have your car be inoperable! I buy new cars to avoid being without a car.
I'm glad Honda Roadside assistance is better in your area. I had my son's car at the dealership last week for an inspection, but they couldn't find anything wrong with the systems. They said that since I disconnected the battery, it clear any error codes that may have been generated. I don't really believe that answer, but what can one do. I'm now glad I bought extended warranty with the car. Please let me know if they find anything wrong with your car. Thanks!

Mur man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm glad Honda Roadside assistance is better in your area. I had my son's car at the dealership last week for an inspection, but they couldn't find anything wrong with the systems. They said that since I disconnected the battery, it clear any error codes that may have been generated. I don't really believe that answer, but what can one do. I'm now glad I bought extended warranty with the car. Please let me know if they find anything wrong with your car. Thanks!
Honda has a recall for the parking brake. I am going to setup my visit in a couple of days.
I will walk back to the grocery store tomorrow morning where the car is, and try the battery disconnect that helped you. I only buy new cars and no longer carry a bag of tools :doh:. Thanks for mentioning that worked for you.

As for the fault codes disappearing, that will happen when you disconnect the battery terminal.

Update: I used my 10mm spanner wrench and disconnected the negative side of the battery for 5 minutes. Works like a charm. Eventually I had the TCM (Transmission Control Module) changed and had no problems afterwards.

Last edited:

MTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 RDX, 17 MDX
Was the seatbelt on? Some cars wont start or disengage the pbrake unless the driver is belted in and the brake pedal is being depressed.
Sponsored