2016 Civic PROS & CONS: Sedan Vs. Coupe

marval2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking forward for my first
Looking for everybody's opinion about this as it will affect my decision in getting a car in the future.

Is it true that Coupes have high insurance rate than sedans even in the case of civics?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

2006civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 civic coupe
Country flag
Coupe looks better (in my humble opinion, though much more so in 9th gen model than 10th) and in some cases is a little less expensive. Sedan is way more comfortable for passengers and its much easier to get stuff in and out of the back seat. Also, not sure if this is the case in 2016 but my 2006 coupe LX has 6 speakers while the LX sedan only has 4, I believe.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
The 2016 Civic Coupe weight is lighter, it's lower, and it's shorter than the sedan. But sedan should be stiffer / higher torsional rigidity.

These are all things that better performance.

dayway05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet!
The sedan looks more executive than the coupe, and its extra doors add practicality. The coupe is possibly less expensive than the sedan, has less doors, and a sportier appearance.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
Is it true that Coupes have high insurance rate than sedans even in the case of civics?
Short answer: it depends on multiple factors, and when considering those factors, coupes are typically more expensive to insure than a sedan.

Read the following I think you'll find it directly helpful in answering your question.

Is it cheaper to insure a Honda Civic sedan or coupe?

Question: How is the Honda Civic coupe classified in comparison to the Civic sedan? Will a coupe have a higher car insurance rate than the sedan?

Answer: More often than not, car insurance providers will find one or more of the risk factors associated with a coupe to push the cost of its coverage higher than that of the same model sedan, and this is what we found with the Honda Civic.

For insurance companies to come up with the vehicle classifications and rating for each make and model vehicle, they take into account several ratings factors, including, but not limited to:
  • Initial purchase price of the vehicle
  • Cost of repairs
  • How often the model/type of vehicle is involved in an accident
  • Safety ratings
  • Top speed / horsepower
  • Rate of theft
Using these factors, two-door coupes are typically more expensive to insure than a four-door sedan, but this isn’t true all of the time since insurance companies rating systems and vehicle rating classifications do differ.

For an example of the difference in costs, we ran a quick quote for a 30-year-old single male living in Edmond, Okla.,for both a 2012 Honda Civic sedan and coupe. We chose bodily injury liability limits of $50,000 per person, $100,000 per accident and $50,000 for property damage liability (50/100/50 coverage) and carrying collision and comprehensive insurance coverages with $500 deductibles each.

The sedan came back with a rate of $1,626 a year and the coupe $1,838, so the coupe in this rate comparison was more expensive by $212 per year.

The differences were seen in higher rates on your bodily injury liability, collision and comprehensive coverages. Comprehensive (coverage that protects against theft) went up the most; this coverage was $144 more a year for the coupe than the sedan.

From http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/is-it-cheaper-to-insure-a-honda-civic-sedan-or-coupe.aspx

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
talking about weight and rigidity is just splitting hairs, you will NOT feel the differences behind the wheel due to those two metrics. However, Honda has stated that the suspension tuning will be different, so don't mistake a firmer feeling coupe as being "better" in some way than the sedan.

Insurance...depends on a lot of factors. I think once you reach a certain age/status, such as married, home owner, middle aged, then I highly doubt a coupe would be more expensive to insure. But younger flatbills with youthful risk factors and poor credit would likely see slightly higher rates for the coupe.

Now, you need to know that sedans are for sheeple. Too mainstream. Camry's are sedans for crying out loud! You don't want a car that resembles a lousy Camry, do you?

This new CivicX coupe doesn't lose much "practicality" over the sedan, and be honest with yourself, how often do you use the back doors of a sedan? If you say "rarely", consider the coupe. Honda stated it has both the largest trunk of the 2 body styles and the largest doors yet on a Honda coupe variant. And the back seat has +5 inches over the CivicIX (of course, the wheelbase is is the same between sedan and coupe).

The only penalty I can think of for the coupe would be rear headroom. Not sure if taller people have tested it out yet, but it may or may not be an issue.

I think it is great that Honda still seems to listen to it's smaller enthusiast groups and offers coupe versions of the Accord and Civic, and MT versions of the V6 and soon the 1.5T. WHO ELSE DOES THAT?? The only way to get a sportier, coupe version of a FWD sedan is to go Honda. Everyone else has dropped coupes to chase profit margins.

Support Honda, get a coupe.

OP
OP
marval2k

marval2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking forward for my first
talking about weight and rigidity is just splitting hairs, you will NOT feel the differences behind the wheel due to those two metrics. However, Honda has stated that the suspension tuning will be different, so don't mistake a firmer feeling coupe as being "better" in some way than the sedan.

Insurance...depends on a lot of factors. I think once you reach a certain age/status, such as married, home owner, middle aged, then I highly doubt a coupe would be more expensive to insure. But younger flatbills with youthful risk factors and poor credit would likely see slightly higher rates for the coupe.

Now, you need to know that sedans are for sheeple. Too mainstream. Camry's are sedans for crying out loud! You don't want a car that resembles a lousy Camry, do you?

This new CivicX coupe doesn't lose much "practicality" over the sedan, and be honest with yourself, how often do you use the back doors of a sedan? If you say "rarely", consider the coupe. Honda stated it has both the largest trunk of the 2 body styles and the largest doors yet on a Honda coupe variant. And the back seat has +5 inches over the CivicIX (of course, the wheelbase is is the same between sedan and coupe).

The only penalty I can think of for the coupe would be rear headroom. Not sure if taller people have tested it out yet, but it may or may not be an issue.

I think it is great that Honda still seems to listen to it's smaller enthusiast groups and offers coupe versions of the Accord and Civic, and MT versions of the V6 and soon the 1.5T. WHO ELSE DOES THAT?? The only way to get a sportier, coupe version of a FWD sedan is to go Honda. Everyone else has dropped coupes to chase profit margins.

Support Honda, get a coupe.
oh my you just read my mind! I do want the coupe for the reasons you just stated. I always get into an argument with my dad over this topic, as if he'll be the one to drive it and more so, buy it. My projected passengers are less than 5'4" so I think headroom will not be an issue.

I appreciate everyone's 2 cents on this. Thank you!

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Along the lines of less headroom because of the lower roof, the coupe may have less visibility out of the rear window compared to the sedan.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Along the lines of less headroom because of the lower roof, the coupe may have less visibility out of the rear window compared to the sedan.
I can already see from the new owners pics that the rear visibilty on the sedans is pretty much nil. Totally unlike Hondas of the past. You're gonna absolutely rely on the back up camera on these cars

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Though of another... coupe being 5-6 inches shorter may be easier to park and maneuver than the sedan.

Emina

Threads
Reaction score
Do we know what the weight distribution will be on the coupe? Taking that much out of the rear could make it a very balanced car

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Do we know what the weight distribution will be on the coupe? Taking that much out of the rear could make it a very balanced car
Unfortunately, taking that much out of the rear actually makes the F/R ratio WORSE. Although, I only say that because you ask. I would enjoy the coupe nonetheless despite that "technicality"

M1160

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of Uber
Unfortunately, taking that much out of the rear actually makes the F/R ratio WORSE. Although, I only say that because you ask. I would enjoy the coupe nonetheless despite that "technicality"
Yep and as far as we know all the weight savings of the coupe compared to the sedan will all come from the 5.5" shaved from the rear end, so the front weight will stay the same as the sedan.