Chevrolet Camaro ($46,095)
Chrysler Pacifica ($48,455)
Honda Civic ($27,335)
Lexus RX ($52,968)
Mercedes-Benz GLC ($54,360)
Nissan Maxima ($38,750)
Volvo XC90 ($84,005)

http://wardsauto.com/interiors/honda-civic-judging-2016-wards-10-best-interiors

Honda left us disappointed with the interior of the ninth-generation Civic compact car, but it certainly hits the mark with the cabin of the all-new 10th-generation Civic, which has been on sale for a few months.

We’re evaluating it for the 2016 Wards 10 Best Interiors program, and we’ll announce winners April 14. It’s early in the competition, and we’ll evaluate about 50 vehicles this year, but it’s my top vote-getter so far after testing the first 10 nominees.

Why? Because of the premium leather seats and leather-wrapped steering wheel, the heated front AND rear seats, the lightning-fast Bluetooth phone link, the auto-dimming rear-view mirror, the 10-speaker sound system with subwoofer, adaptive cruise control, forward-collision warning and lane-departure warning.

Think about it. Not long ago, all of those features would have been found exclusively on expensive luxury cars. Now they’re on a spacious Civic Touring, priced out the door at $27,335, including handling charges. That price also gets you voice-recognition, remote starting and a 7-in. electrostatic touchscreen that is loaded with entertainment options, navigation, additional climate controls and vehicle information.

Look a little closer, and you’ll find the Civic interior checks the boxes that matter most in our competition. Fit-and-finish is impeccable, from the near-perfect front edge of the headliner to the stitching of the second-row center armrest, which is generally stowed away and rarely seen. Headroom for an average size male is ample in the second row, even in the center seating position. For a design flourish, a bronze accent strip stretches across the instrument panel on the passenger side.

But wait, there’s more. The center console and armrest can be reconfigured to your liking, integrating movable cupholders and a storage bin that’s as deep as a 5-gallon bucket. And the contrasting black-and-beige color scheme is handsome, especially with the vertical black stripes on the front seats.

Yes, the Civic interior is sharp, but it will face challenges this year from two other compacts, the Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra.

-- Tom Murphy
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Especially impressive when you look at it's price relative to the other winners. Over $10,000 less than the next lowest price.

asdf916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
Country flag
The main gripe I have with the interior is the ROCK HARD door console(?) area where the power windows/lock buttons are. I usually rest my left knee against this part of the door, but the hard plastic they use makes it really uncomfortable. That and the lack of a glove box lock (yes, yes, if thieves really want it, they will get it, but it provides a small peace of mind knowing it will deter SOME thieves).

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do kinda wish they stitched/padded some of the lower plastics underneath the infotainment, a la the '16 Mazda 6. That would have been a really nice premium touch.

SoichiroSan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport, '17 Si coupe
I personally can't stand all those bits of silver-painted plastic that's supposed to resemble aluminum. Honda isn't the only carmaker afflicted with this faux-metal disease, but still.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One of my coworkers has a 2015 Genesis sedan and was pretty impressed by the interior of my Touring. It wasn't just a quick popping in of his head and saying "oh nice", he actually sat in it and seemed genuinely impressed. So it does show that the Civic's interior competes with higher end cars. There are some cheap materials but there's a reason the car is 27k and not 50k

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One of my coworkers has a 2015 Genesis sedan and was pretty impressed by the interior of my Touring. It wasn't just a quick popping in of his head and saying "oh nice", he actually sat in it and seemed genuinely impressed. So it does show that the Civic's interior competes with higher end cars. There are some cheap materials but there's a reason the car is 27k and not 50k
I think its less of the fact that it might compete with higher-end cars and more of the fact that the compact class has very quickly moved to near-premium/entry-level luxury levels of quality.

Either way, anyone who's been in it has been impressed.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think its less of the fact that it might compete with higher-end cars and more of the fact that the compact class has very quickly moved to near-premium/entry-level luxury levels of quality.

Either way, anyone who's been in it has been impressed.
True. The interior of the Civic has come a long way since the 2012 model, which is what a lot of people still probably picture when they think of the interior of a high volume compact sedan like the Civic.

andy_kiawah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Update:

Winners announced!

http://wardsauto.com/interiors/wards-10-best-interiors-lap-luxury?page=1

This year’s winners:

Audi TTS ($58,500 as tested)
BMW 7-Series ($129,245)
Cadillac XT5 ($63,845)
Chevrolet Camaro ($46,095)
Chrysler Pacifica ($48,455)
Honda Civic ($27,335)
Lexus RX ($52,968)
Mercedes-Benz GLC ($54,360)
Nissan Maxima ($38,750)
Volvo XC90 ($84,005)

http://wardsauto.com/interiors/honda-civic-judging-2016-wards-10-best-interiors

Honda left us disappointed with the interior of the ninth-generation Civic compact car, but it certainly hits the mark with the cabin of the all-new 10th-generation Civic, which has been on sale for a few months.

We’re evaluating it for the 2016 Wards 10 Best Interiors program, and we’ll announce winners April 14. It’s early in the competition, and we’ll evaluate about 50 vehicles this year, but it’s my top vote-getter so far after testing the first 10 nominees.

Why? Because of the premium leather seats and leather-wrapped steering wheel, the heated front AND rear seats, the lightning-fast Bluetooth phone link, the auto-dimming rear-view mirror, the 10-speaker sound system with subwoofer, adaptive cruise control, forward-collision warning and lane-departure warning.

Think about it. Not long ago, all of those features would have been found exclusively on expensive luxury cars. Now they’re on a spacious Civic Touring, priced out the door at $27,335, including handling charges. That price also gets you voice-recognition, remote starting and a 7-in. electrostatic touchscreen that is loaded with entertainment options, navigation, additional climate controls and vehicle information.

Look a little closer, and you’ll find the Civic interior checks the boxes that matter most in our competition. Fit-and-finish is impeccable, from the near-perfect front edge of the headliner to the stitching of the second-row center armrest, which is generally stowed away and rarely seen. Headroom for an average size male is ample in the second row, even in the center seating position. For a design flourish, a bronze accent strip stretches across the instrument panel on the passenger side.

But wait, there’s more. The center console and armrest can be reconfigured to your liking, integrating movable cupholders and a storage bin that’s as deep as a 5-gallon bucket. And the contrasting black-and-beige color scheme is handsome, especially with the vertical black stripes on the front seats.

Yes, the Civic interior is sharp, but it will face challenges this year from two other compacts, the Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra.

-- Tom Murphy
Interesting that there's not one Acura in there, yet little brother Civic made it :) confirms I made the right decision overall...
Sponsored