Fluffy Pillow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Civic EX
I really, really, REALLY hope they have an analog speedometer in that dash... the digital speedo is 80% of the reason why I still drive a 7th generation Civic... you can't see rate of change with a digital speedometer, which is important to me. Also, I really dread giving up mechanical steering... drive by wire just doesn't let you feel the road! Hopefully they'll offer mechanical steering in the Si or Type-R like the higher end STI or EVO cars offer!
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really, really, REALLY hope they have an analog speedometer in that dash... the digital speedo is 80% of the reason why I still drive a 7th generation Civic... you can't see rate of change with a digital speedometer, which is important to me. Also, I really dread giving up mechanical steering... drive by wire just doesn't let you feel the road! Hopefully they'll offer mechanical steering in the Si or Type-R like the higher end STI or EVO cars offer!
I doubt we'll see a change in steering because its related to fuel efficiency. However, i did hear honda has been working on tweaking the electronic setup to allow more weight and feedback from the wheel to the driver. So we'll see how that goes.

As for the speedo... i like the digital, always have, probably always will. Considering that out of all of honda's cars the HRV and Fit are the only 2 new cars without digital i'd assume there will be another digital speedo. They could surprise us and do away with it. But the digital speed is kind of hondas thing since they introduced it in the 8th gen civics. Even the new Pilot has a digital guage. The HRV and Fit have the excuse that they're both technically the lowest cars in honda's family both being sub compact. I figure even the next accord could see a digital guage when the redesign comes in 2 years. I'm just really really hoping for a center mounted digital speedo with the rpm gauge around it, flanked left and right by digital or analog gas etc. Even the fit has a digital gas gauge.

Fluffy Pillow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Civic EX
I doubt we'll see a change in steering because its related to fuel efficiency. However, i did hear honda has been working on tweaking the electronic setup to allow more weight and feedback from the wheel to the driver. So we'll see how that goes.

As for the speedo... i like the digital, always have, probably always will. Considering that out of all of honda's cars the HRV and Fit are the only 2 new cars without digital i'd assume there will be another digital speedo. They could surprise us and do away with it. But the digital speed is kind of hondas thing since they introduced it in the 8th gen civics. Even the new Pilot has a digital guage. The HRV and Fit have the excuse that they're both technically the lowest cars in honda's family both being sub compact. I figure even the next accord could see a digital guage when the redesign comes in 2 years. I'm just really really hoping for a center mounted digital speedo with the rpm gauge around it, flanked left and right by digital or analog gas etc. Even the fit has a digital gas gauge.
Not sure they'll ever be able to simulate real mechanical steering. Plus the ratcheting feeling of the current Civic's steering wheel at a stop when leaning gently on it and turning very slowly in one direction is highly annoying to me! Something most people will probably never even notice, though.

Also, it's interesting that both Mitsubishi and Subaru offer mechanical steering on their highest end "Rally cars" while the lower trim variants come with electronic... I'm guessing that if Honda wants to compete wholly in that segment with the Type-R, they'll follow suit there as well. The regular Subaru WRX comes with electronic steering... you have to move to the WRX STi to get the mechanical.

Moichi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit & CR-V
Country flag
I'm with Fluffy. Given the choice I'd take a nice looking physical speedo over a digital one. Digital ones just remind me of playing a video game.

Would also prefer mechanical steering like most enthusiasts, but not sure we're gonna see that again, which is sad. Electric steering is getting better and better and the best ones (Porsche) beat average mechanical racks, but the best electric steering still don't match the best mechanical steering.

Moichi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit & CR-V
Country flag
Not sure they'll ever be able to simulate real mechanical steering. Plus the ratcheting feeling of the current Civic's steering wheel at a stop when leaning gently on it and turning very slowly in one direction is highly annoying to me! Something most people will probably never even notice, though.
Sounds like you don't like variable ratio steering. I'm not a huge fan of electric steering either but when variable ratio is done right, it can feel decent.

EmperorHondus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Accord, 2002 Mazda Protege
*Sigh*, this waiting is excruciating. And Honda has been vague about the next Civic's release date. "Some time in the fall" can be late November.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
*Sigh*, this waiting is excruciating. And Honda has been vague about the next Civic's release date. "Some time in the fall" can be late November.
Waiting to hear about the Si engine is killing me. I can wait for the car no problem, but the engine they use will either disappoint me (1.5T) or put me over the top (high strung N/A or low boost 2.0T)!!

EmperorHondus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Accord, 2002 Mazda Protege
Waiting to hear about the Si engine is killing me. I can wait for the car no problem, but the engine they use will either disappoint me (1.5T) or put me over the top (high strung N/A or low boost 2.0T)!!
Yeah, I hear you. The Si should hit the sweet spot. I'd be really surprised if they went the n/a route, considering the boosted competition that's been kicking sand in the current model's face. I wouldn't even mind a 1.5 turbo. Ford has been employing a 1.6 EcoBoost in the Fusion and Escape, which are very heavy cars, but still they perform quite well. The trick would be for the Honda engineers to maintain the VTEC character while providing low-end grunt.

Fluffy Pillow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Civic EX
Their next announcement is allegedly going to be made at the Los Angeles Auto Show sometime between November 21st and the 30th.

I'm expecting the standard sedan to be announced and go on sale in early December, coupe in late December to early January and who knows about the Hatchback, probably mid February 2016.

I bet Honda will really limit supply initially to encourage dealer markup because of all the anticipation. Si model probably sometime around March.

Really hoping for the 2.0T! If they release the Si with the 1.5 I'll just buy a JDM K20 or K24 and put it in my 2004 EX with a turbo setup. Not waiting for the Type-R if it takes till 2017 like the rumors hint!!

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Their next announcement is allegedly going to be made at the Los Angeles Auto Show sometime between November 21st and the 30th.

I'm expecting the standard sedan to be announced and go on sale in early December, coupe in late December to early January and who knows about the Hatchback, probably mid February 2016.

I bet Honda will really limit supply initially to encourage dealer markup because of all the anticipation. Si model probably sometime around March.

Really hoping for the 2.0T! If they release the Si with the 1.5 I'll just buy a JDM K20 or K24 and put it in my 2004 EX with a turbo setup. Not waiting for the Type-R if it takes till 2017 like the rumors hint!!
Well sadly you will most likely be waiting. The hatch isn't coming here until 2017 (probably fall). The Euro civic has to run its model life cycle before the new one is introduced there. It's the one bad thing about the new globally shared car. I'm thinking Geneva will be when they reveal the production versions of the Sedan and Coupe (September). The sedan should be on lots no later than November 1st. The coupe could be here in December or early early next year (January/February). Si models will probably be the big reveal for the LA show and those should be here mid to late spring 2016 i'd guess (early summer at the latest).

As for the Si engine... i definitely betting on a detuned 2.0T from the Type R or them using a new earth dreams 2.4NA bumped up around 25hp or so from the current car, maybe more.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
We still don't have any dates? Any dealers or friends of dealers here that know more specific than just this Fall?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most likely they'll announce the official dates when they debut the official production versions at the next big auto show this September.

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
Most likely they'll announce the official dates when they debut the official production versions at the next big auto show this September.
Looked up the auto shows schedule , so the production version will debut at the Frankfurt Autoshow in Sept?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Yeah, I hear you. The Si should hit the sweet spot. I'd be really surprised if they went the n/a route, considering the boosted competition that's been kicking sand in the current model's face. I wouldn't even mind a 1.5 turbo. Ford has been employing a 1.6 EcoBoost in the Fusion and Escape, which are very heavy cars, but still they perform quite well. The trick would be for the Honda engineers to maintain the VTEC character while providing low-end grunt.
eh, not a fan of Ford's smaller turbo motors. The word is that the Fusion/Escape are only moderately powered by this motor, and the fuel economy is not so good either.

I won't be happy with a 1.5T in the Si. That motor would likely not have much headroom for improvement, and if it has ANY lag at all, 1.5L would be very doggy until boost hits.

AFAIK, with small displacement turbo motors, sacrifices have to be made. To reduce lag and make the motor feel bigger, engineers have to utilize a smaller turbo, which sacrifices top end. In an Si, you'd want good top end, so the trade off there would be a (very likely) laggy motor off the line. No thanks. If they do use the 1.5T, unless it is some game changing motor I probably wouldn't like it. I'd rather buy a WRX with the 2.0T. Don't get me wrong, I'd drive a 1.5T before I knock it, I'm just saying it's not looking good.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Subaru's interiors went to hell after they teamed up with Toyota... tho the WRX has never had a particularly upscale interior.
The new Impreza/WRX interiors are MUCH better than the 08+ versions. We had an 07 and an 08. The 08 was hard plastic everywhere, Pontiac Grand Am dash lighting, silver painted pieces, terrible! Our 07 had a much better quality interior. They definitely cheaped out on the 08+ models.
But, the new interiors are MUCH better than before, and this is AFTER they got with Toyota...huh...I like the WRX interior. Although the new Civic interior does look better!
Sponsored