randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Doesn't the current Si come with standard 18" wheels? i could have sworn it did. and it has available 19" accessory wheels with summer tires. Does the HRV have 17" wheels? I could see them doing a real simple 17" wheel on the base models and then fancier 17" wheels on the EX and above, with the painted inserts and such. Those painted insert alloys look so good on white cars. lol.
HR-Vs ride on 17s across the lineup.

You are correct, the current Si has 18" wheels. Was that new for 2014? I'm almost positive my friend's '13 has 17s. I didn't see any optional 19" wheels listed on Honda's website though, just HFP 18s.
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, the 18" standard were new for 14 when they redid the coupe

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
But how did they become "established features"? They had to be 'new tech' at some point. Don't mistake "change" for being synonymous with "bad".

I actually had an 87 Prelude Si as well. It came with a tape deck, I replaced it with a CD player when I got it (sold it with a CD player). My 88 CRX had a tape deck when new, but I replaced that with a CD player and now more recently, one with a USB interface. Some tech will come and go to be sure, but most of that can be replaced if you have the car long enough. I don't see touchscreens any differently, the aftermarket will always provide product if there is a need.

I'm certainly not advocating for TPMS (or daytime running lights), that s**t is dumb, but a fob I don't have to take out of my pocket to get into my car or to start it... sign me up. I'm not much into worrying about what others are capable of doing as far as getting into my car. If someone wants in, they're getting in. Fob loss may be a bigger financial concern, but I have yet to lose a car key in my life, so I feel okay about this as well.
My point about the "established features", in a round about way (sorry) is that a broken cupholder or abs light doesn't prevent you from driving the car.

RE aftermarket touchscreens, not gonna happen unless the car is super common and there is a strong need. So far the Chinese aftermarket has tried to clone integrated dash based systems on a few cars with dodgy results.

with all due respect I am not trying to butt heads with you. I hope both sides can get what they want in this car. I'm pretty old school though, don't get me started on driving aids and autonomous cars (actually autonomous car may be a good thing these dyas, but driving aids just make things worse, and are unreliable)

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My point about the "established features", in a round about way (sorry) is that a broken cupholder or abs light doesn't prevent you from driving the car.

RE aftermarket touchscreens, not gonna happen unless the car is super common and there is a strong need. So far the Chinese aftermarket has tried to clone integrated dash based systems on a few cars with dodgy results.

with all due respect I am not trying to butt heads with you. I hope both sides can get what they want in this car. I'm pretty old school though, don't get me started on driving aids and autonomous cars (actually autonomous car may be a good thing these dyas, but driving aids just make things worse, and are unreliable)
Not trying to butt heads either (though I can be a butt head). I think the base model will be the closest to what you are looking for in a car. Check out the HR-V line to get a better idea of what might/might not be offered on a base model vs EX and above. The base HR-V retains a standard key and knobs for the infotainment.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Not trying to butt heads either (though I can be a butt head). I think the base model will be the closest to what you are looking for in a car. Check out the HR-V line to get a better idea of what might/might not be offered on a base model vs EX and above. The base HR-V retains a standard key and knobs for the infotainment.
Si for me. Hopefully they have a base Si without navigation. I'll just have to get spoiled by any other niceties I thought I didn't want.

Hopefully Honda will have the Si in a similar red as my Prelude so I can park the 2 Si's next to each other in the garage

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just noticed something. Where is the CD player slot???? There is just a chrome strip where it would be.... did they just leave it out for the tester? But then why the chrome??? Did honda do away with CD player in favor of all aux input????

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just noticed something. Where is the CD player slot???? There is just a chrome strip where it would be.... did they just leave it out for the tester? But then why the chrome??? Did honda do away with CD player in favor of all aux input????
I think the optical disc is a thing of the past.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Si for me. Hopefully they have a base Si without navigation. I'll just have to get spoiled by any other niceties I thought I didn't want.

Hopefully Honda will have the Si in a similar red as my Prelude so I can park the 2 Si's next to each other in the garage
I'll need them to bring a yellow Si to match my CRX. Either way, we would have good looking garages :)

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
This is a prototype we may not be looking at the final audio system? Either way, I haven't even touched a CD in a few years. Bluetooth streaming is all I ask for.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't at all disagree with any of you, i haven't used a CD in years and years. I plug in my iPhone or bluetooth it as soon as i get in the car. It was just something i noticed. But, i know alot of people, older folks that still use CDs (even my mother, who has an iPhone, uses CDs still in her car). And although this is a prototype, i feel they wouldn't have bothered to put the chrome strip there, it wouldve just been blank, or just a hole with no CD player guts inside.... interesting.

EmperorHondus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Accord, 2002 Mazda Protege
The double-tiered dash in my dearly departed 8th-gen Si had actually grown on me, and I appreciated the digital speedo in my field of vision. Because you know, it was easy to get carried away above 6500rpm. I hope the new one's interior does not feature those faux-metallic trim bits, as I find nothing cheesier inside a car than painted plastic.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The double-tiered dash in my dearly departed 8th-gen Si had actually grown on me, and I appreciated the digital speedo in my field of vision. Because you know, it was easy to get carried away above 6500rpm. I hope the new one's interior does not feature those faux-metallic trim bits, as I find nothing cheesier inside a car than painted plastic.

It probably will. As faux wood trim is a bit too fancy for the Civics so far. And the 8th and 9th gen civics both have those painted plastic faux metal bits. It'd be nice if they used real metal, but, that's expensive. It doesn't look like they used as much chrome around things as they did in the 9th gen, don't really mind either way, it looked ok. But for this price point and class of car, painted plastic is the best to hope for.

I do notice though, the door panel look shiny... like painted plastic... they'd better not do that.. my 9th is hard plastic but it has cloth on it. My 8th had plastic door panels but they were textured, not just shiny smooth plastic... hard to tell since this is a tester only, they could've left alot of the little niceties out of the car.

EmperorHondus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Accord, 2002 Mazda Protege
It probably will. As faux wood trim is a bit too fancy for the Civics so far. And the 8th and 9th gen civics both have those painted plastic faux metal bits. It'd be nice if they used real metal, but, that's expensive. It doesn't look like they used as much chrome around things as they did in the 9th gen, don't really mind either way, it looked ok. But for this price point and class of car, painted plastic is the best to hope for.

I do notice though, the door panel look shiny... like painted plastic... they'd better not do that.. my 9th is hard plastic but it has cloth on it. My 8th had plastic door panels but they were textured, not just shiny smooth plastic... hard to tell since this is a tester only, they could've left alot of the little niceties out of the car.
I don't mind painted plastic, as long as it's piano-black. I think it looks a bit classier. I actually like the interior of the 9th gen Si, especially after it was upgraded for the 2014 model year. In my opinion it's light years better than say, the WRX's.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Subaru's interiors went to hell after they teamed up with Toyota... tho the WRX has never had a particularly upscale interior.
Sponsored