2016 civic.. Head Unit dead (no bluetooth radio nav)

w1ley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
wow..
started the car remotely, got in then backed out of the driveway. switched to Drive the screen black.
held down the power switch for 30 seconds (as per the first time this happened) nothing.
Told the service rep its a bit of an emergency, no backup camera, side camera heater or radio.
Service rep says,think i will keep my old civic.. gulp now i feel good. 5000 kilometers. On a full week waiting for a fix. Next the freeway surge issue and maybe find a new subwoofer..
Wife not happy traded in the Acura CSX 2012
Sponsored

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Wow that was a great service rep you had smh. It's something that will probably get fixed don't worry mine blacked out just as I was parking one day and I think it was crashing and it rebooted itself. I got in the car after work and it worked. Before it crashed tho I couldn't connect my bluetooth and the gps wouldn't connect. After it rebooted it's been good

spnewera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Black
The same happened to me. Was on a 6 hour road trip, decided for a pit stop around the 2.5 hour mark. Got back into the car, no matter how many times I restart it, the screen stayed black. After I made the rest of the trip (thank goodness the climate responded to the on/off physical buttons), I parked and went inside of my house. When I came back, the screen turned on again.

It's a hard error to replicate, but luckily this issue fixes itself. Sometimes it just needs some time, but don't let up on the car just yet. A lot of new model paranoia does come with any car that's just being released! Pros of this car def outweigh the cons.

Dan_justDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
I'm the lucky one this morning.Got in the car. NO back-up Camera. Didn't think the whole set-up was affected. It's when I put it in 1st gear that I realised. Radio's working. So is the Climate, on/off. As well as temp. setting. Can't change radio station though. Also, volume works from my steering wheel but the "dash" display will not show when volume goes up or down. I also can't put the "dash" display into "radio" mode. It keeps searching. Turned the car off & on twice and it's still the same. Will see if it fixes itself by lunch time. I doubt it.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
To all the above, does the car sit in the sun and is the LCD screen feel hot to the touch....I am starting to think this is a super issue. There is an overheat circuit that shuts off the LCD screen if it becomes to hot, either from use or exposure.

I think HONDA needs to address this issue and a lot of us live in hot climates. I now cover my screen with a white cloth and it stays cooler for use. SHAME WE HAVE TO DO THIS.

OP
OP

w1ley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
No mine in the garage
So far so good with the new head unit.
Been in 3 times not the first oil change yet

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 civic.. Head Unit dead (no bluetooth radio nav) image

Dan_justDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
It rained last night. Not an unusual situation. Yes, car sat in the sun but Montreal's climate isn't extreme. It was fine last evening at about Dinner time.

Last edited:

Dan_justDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
It rained last night. Not an unusual situation. Yes, car sat in the sun but Montreal's climate isn't extreme. It was fine last evening at about Dinner time.
By the time I got in the car after work, it gave me the GPS message,rebooted and has been fine since. Can't figure out what caused it.

awm22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
When I first got my car last November, the screen started doing that. After driving for a couple of minutes, it would start to flicker on and off. It would usually fix itself at some point during my half-hour commute, often right after I used the right turn camera, but not always.

Dealer installed a new screen and it has never flickered since. (of course, there are still software issues regarding Bluetooth and Android Auto, but's for another thread...).

Also, the screen runs Android. Did you know you can reboot it? Press and hold on the Audio button (the one above Home). After a few seconds you'll see a message asking if you want to reboot. Once the system shuts down you may need to long-press the Audio button again to boot it back up. You can even have a passenger do this while driving; it will just make the radio stop for a few seconds until the system boots back up, but doesn't seem to affect the sensors or drive-time systems.

If your screen is entirely blank when you turn on the car, I'd first try to long-press on the Audio button and see if the screen boots up.

Dan_justDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
That TSB is for flickering and not blanking out. And for EX Models. Am I the only one who had this problem on an LX?
Sponsored