Jamm_95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex, '94 Prelude Si, '88 Prelude Si
Vehicle Showcase
So I just called the number bobman posted and asked about my vin 19XFC2F78GE203155 and they confirmed that my car also was part of the recall. She said piston pin snap ring is not fully seated and that the service managers at the dealership just received the notice yesterday and they are doing a stop sale. She said it affects 2016 all trims. She recommended I call my dealership and see what they would recommend doing, and she also said they might not have the part yet.
Sponsored

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Interesting they said it affected all trims, but when I called, bobman's VIN was in the recall and my VIN was not. Maybe all trims from a certain time period?

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring WOP, Chevy Tahoe LTZ
So I just called the number bobman posted and asked about my vin 19XFC2F78GE203155 and they confirmed that my car also was part of the recall. She said piston pin snap ring is not fully seated and that the service managers at the dealership just received the notice yesterday and they are doing a stop sale. She said it affects 2016 all trims. She recommended I call my dealership and see what they would recommend doing, and she also said they might not have the part yet.
Are you in the same geographical region as Bobman?

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring WOP, Chevy Tahoe LTZ
I'm not sure where Bobman is located but I'm from bay area, CA
Just curious if the theory of being one truck load of cars would make sense or not.

OP
OP

bobman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008. F150, 2013 wrangler, 1999 civic, 2000 wind star,94 explorer, 88 jimmy , 08 vtx1300, 14 crf250l, 15 cbr500r

hal9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Just curious if the theory of being one truck load of cars would make sense or not.
Doesn't seem so. If it's the piston clip that part is used in both engines. We now have posts from two members whose vehicles were finished in separate factories.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Well, not one truckload, but it would make sense that if it was all the cars for two or three days from one plant, that all those cars would land a few isolated trucks. Bob must live where one of the isolated trucks was sent to. Bob's profile says he lives in Va, though (VA is nowhere close to CA). We have two plants involved, at this point, for a Piston Ring recall - VINs starting with 1 and 2.

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Because they perform lot and periodic inspections and tests at part and assembly levels.
Doubt it was properly tested or inspected if it made it to the dealership. The cars that were affected were probably notice when they were driven off from the truck and onto the lot. Poor piston ring install is noticeable by poor engine performance, burning oil and smoke. I don't think current owners should be worried unless their engine isn't running smooth.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Based on sales figures, the plant in Anna is producing something north of 1,250 '16 Civic engines every working day. They are getting assembled into cars in Greensburg and Alliston just as quickly. A trailer-full of engines leaves for Alliston. The next trailer-full leaves for Greensburg. Honda final assembly appears from available information to work in color/trim/option batches (e.g., next 100 will be Touring/MSM/Grey interior). (Batch size unknown.) (You can also see this in dealer inventory where occasionally you can see sequential VIN identical cars but I've never seen a sequential pair of different trim/color.) At the end of the line they would have to be re-queueing these according to destination in order to load the railroad cars (or trucks for very near the plant delivery) for efficient shipment. (E.g., a carload of vehicles from different trim/color batches in the last, say, five days, bound for various dealers via the Jacksonville, FL, terminal.) At the last rail terminal they again get re-queued into dealer truckloads. (All Hondas from the last ten days from all the Honda plants in North America arrived at the Jacksonville terminal and delivering to Billy Bob's Honda in Daytona.) Or destination island boatloads, in my case.

Because of all this, the odds of two engines, 100 units apart at Anna, arriving at the same destination are low.

All of this is why the manufacturers have to keep precise records of what parts, from which lot/batch/production day, etc., end up in which car by VIN. This is why so many of the parts have all the code numbers and barcodes and whatnot on them.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Doubt it was properly tested or inspected if it made it to the dealership. The cars that were affected were probably notice when they were driven off from the truck and onto the lot. Poor piston ring install is noticeable by poor engine performance, burning oil and smoke. I don't think current owners should be worried unless their engine isn't running smooth.
A piston pin snap ring is very different from a piston oil or compression ring. If I were speculating, and, hey, in this thread, that's the name of the game, I'd bet they found an issue in post-test teardown of an extended run batch test engine. Something worn more than the spec value or similar.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Well, not one truckload, but it would make sense that if it was all the cars for two or three days from one plant, that all those cars would land a few isolated trucks. Bob must live where one of the isolated trucks was sent to. Bob's profile says he lives in Va, though (VA is nowhere close to CA). We have two plants involved, at this point, for a Piston Ring recall - VINs starting with 1 and 2.
My VIN has a recall outstanding as of yesterday. The vehicle (Touring) was assembled in Alliston in November. I remember wondering if it was a good idea to buy so early in the production run. Question answered. Never again. At this pace, this might even be my last Honda. 8 issues so far, in less than 2 months ownership. I purchased the car so I could drive it. Instead, I have taken on the role of primary caregiver.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
A piston pin snap ring is very different from a piston oil or compression ring. If I were speculating, and, hey, in this thread, that's the name of the game, I'd bet they found an issue in post-test teardown of an extended run batch test engine. Something worn more than the spec value or similar.
I hope you're right, that would make it a less urgent issue. The 'stop sale' concerns me though ... aren't those for major/urgent issues?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hope you're right, that would make it a less urgent issue. The 'stop sale' concerns me though ... aren't those for major/urgent issues?
If they've deemed this a potential safety issue--and that can still mean an incredibly minute risk--they have little legal choice. I think this is a regulatory/legal requirement. (US anyway. Readily apparent Canada has some different groundrules.)
Sponsored