dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
That is true - overnight updates are common - a simple cron job. However, this was yesterday, and today is today, so an overnight has occurred. Hopefully this is a hoax. I see no real evidence that this is real at this time.
Maybe they do it overnight, Japan time? Maybe they only do it on Tuesdays? Maybe they only propagate recalls for vehicles that have been entered into service to the external system and the one the OP posted is still in the dealer's possession? You get my drift… There are just too many possibilities that are perfectly normal big global corporate ways of doing things that are entirely consistent with what's been reported here to start assuming the sky is falling over this. Maybe the sky is falling. But there isn't the information yet to demonstrate it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bobman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008. F150, 2013 wrangler, 1999 civic, 2000 wind star,94 explorer, 88 jimmy , 08 vtx1300, 14 crf250l, 15 cbr500r
You have the vin number I used as well as the phone number I called.

They are open for another hour. You can always call with that number for yourself.

If your vin turns up no recall information then I guess you are good.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
LoL, it's been tomorrow in Japan for nearly 3 hours, so hopefully the prophecy of "There are no current safety recalls for this vehicle" turns out to be true. :)

Edit: I called. He's telling the truth: There is a safety recall regarding a piston pin snap ring. There is a stop sale on it.

Last edited:

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring WOP, Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Words not put in mouth.
You've taken it out of context from the entire post.

If you read the actual post, I said for this supposed recall which could cause the items that you've quoted out of context, the story seems unbelievable....That's why I noted it is not a minor audio issue where some would have info and some wouldn't...

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
I think that with all new generation vehicles, we take a risk that bugs and issues are not fully ironed out yet. I knew this going in when I decided to lease my Civic. As long as issues are minor and easily fixed e.g the Touring Infotainment issue, then it's not too big of a pain. I don't mind dropping the car off for the day to have something done...If it turns out we're having to have our vehicles into the shop more than driving them, then I'd label this gen lemons...

I'm hoping I get an answer from Honda as well for the surging CVT. There's no way while at a constant speed and throttle position, should the CVT be fluctuating the RPM up and down where you can feel it in your vehicle. Mine feels as though someone is changing the throttle position constantly while I'm going between 85-90 km/h...
Yeah i financed so i am in it for the long haul....

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have the vin number I used as well as the phone number I called.

They are open for another hour. You can always call with that number for yourself.

If your vin turns up no recall information then I guess you are good.

I called. So did another member. It sucks you didn't get the name or agent number you spoke with. I'd like to speak with him and ask them where they got this info from, which apparently the rest of the call centre does not have..I did not ask a VIN-specific question and neither did the other member. I asked for them to check all TSB/recall/upgrade info they have on ALL 2016 Honda Civic models. And they said none except the TSB for infotainment update.

However, this obviously doesn't explain why multiple members with different models have checked their VIN #'s on the Honda Canada site, and show a recall/product update available for their vehicle. The infotainment issue was said to be Touring-specific.

That's why I said in the first place I don't think you are making it up, but it's not making a lot of sense why such a possible major issue isn't readily available info from the same call centre. HAH!

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I apologize to Bobman. I called the number, and there is a safety recall for his VIN. It is a safety recall regarding a piston pin snap ring. There is a stop sale on it.

Interestingly, I found out I have a recall for my amp software. When that TSB came out, I didn't think my VIN would qualify per the numbers and manufacture dates given in the forum, and due to the fact that I've always had sound (but with a LOT of other infotainment glitches). I Hoping to wait for other glitch fixes to be released first, though, to make it worth going back to the dealer. Also, since not everyone has had great success with the update (most have), I don't want to break something that's not broken.

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I apologize to Bobman. I called the number, and there is a safety recall for his VIN. It is a safety recall regarding a piston pin snap ring. There is a stop sale on it.

Interestingly, I found out I have a recall for my amp software. When that TSB came out, I didn't think my VIN would qualify per the numbers and manufacture dates given in the forum, and due to the fact that I've always had sound (but with a LOT of other infotainment glitches). I have noticed my music does take 20 seconds or so, and others who have had the fix do say that their sound came on much faster after the fix - so I may ultimately look into it. Hoping to wait for other glitch fixes to be released first, though, to make it worth going back to the dealer.

Good. Thanks for clearing this up.

This is VERY SPECIFIC info. Would be nice if all the call centre agents had this info, as I did not provide my VIN #, yet they said there are no recalls on any 2016 Civic with the exception of Infotainment for Touring models.

Crossing my fingers that my recall notice is not for this problem, as my vehicle was also made at the Alliston factory.

nboyanov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I hope member hondadroid has some info since he mentioned he works at this plant.

I work at the honda plant in alliston I am a team leader in the engine plant in the machining department. I currently build the 2.0 engine for the new civic.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
VERY SPECIFIC info would have included engine types and quantities affected, quantity of delivered vehicles affected, production date ranges affected, exact problem (missing, insufficient hardness, not machined to tolerance), impact to owners (don't drive safety risk, risk of premature wear, etc), and failure mechanism (loose fragments in engine, excessive piston pin play), among other specific kinds of information.

Would be nice if all the call centre agents had this info, as I did not provide my VIN #, yet they said there are no recalls on any 2016 Civic.
I've already explained exactly the kinds of sequences of corporate events that reasonably explain this. Seems entirely probable they've tagged the VINs but not published a specific notice yet pending clearances of various parts of the company. Person looking for VIN finds tag in the VIN lookup. Different person looking for '16 Civic Recall bulletins finds no notice in the notices lookup. This is how call centers work. This is how giant global corporate information flows.

Crossing my fingers that my recall notice is not for this problem, as my vehicle was also made at the Alliston factory.
As noted previously, an engine internal problem would be unlikely to be final assembly plant specific, unless it affected a very small number of engines--one trailer's worth, say--since the engines are produced at a different, common, plant and are almost certainly shipped daily or even several times a day to both final assembly plants. The days elapsed from start of engine assembly to finished vehicle rolloff is probably measured in one hand's worth of fingers. This is how J-I-T manufacturing works.

How many postings have there been about internal engine damage or total engine failure in a '16 Civic? I haven't seen any. Maybe I'm missing something. Before you say it @KA0S, yes, I know replacing a piston pin snap ring is a big deal and, yes, I know that the right kind of failure of a piston pin snap ring is a big deal, and, yes, if I were an owner of an affected car I would not be at all happy about it.

Rhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord; 2016 WOP Civic Touring Ordered
I have a Touring on the way from the factory, looked up the VIN on the website..so far no recall. I will probably call the number in a little while and report back.

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Interesting there's s recall on piston related issue when there's not one person on this forum went to the dealership with issues related to the engine. How did Honda identify an issue when there were no complaints? Most of the issues everyone seem to complain about on this forum is the infotainment system.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My guess is this is a recently discovered short run problem, as described earlier. Bobman is correct - there is the issue he states, as I called to confirm. Bobman also stated that other dealers in the area had the same issue on a few cars - so further evidence to a short run of cars (a single shipment of cars to local dealers would likely come from the same plant, and not be trucked in from three different plants with a bunch of different manufacture dates).

At least we hope that's the case! In Bob's case, the issue was discovered before the car could even be sold.

hal9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I checked my VIN and nothing. But if it is the clip for the pistons..I did a part look up and both engines use the same part number on the piston.
#13115-RNA-A00
May help explain VIN being more important than which engine or trim level.

Carry on..

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How did Honda identify an issue when there were no complaints?
Because they perform lot and periodic inspections and tests at part and assembly levels.
Sponsored