My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If your car is asymptomatic and, upon inspection, they find all snap rings properly installed, why would they owe you more than that? Alienation of affection? Mental anguish?
I can think of numerous reasons, here are just a few...
  • Diminished Value - Loss of resale value due to a recall. Even if the one specific vehicle is not affected, there is a recall on that specific line, model, engine type, etc. GM has lawsuits against them because of this very same thing. I happen to own one which in just 5 years is now worth less than half of its original purchase price, and ended up giving another away to a family member because after the ignition switch recall/and repair as well as other recalls, was only worth $2500 after 8 years in mint condition!
  • Mechanics are human - How many times have you come home from something as simple as an oil change to find that they did not put the oil cap back on, or other simple work where you've had to go in after them and fix something they missed or did wrong? I have a few times, and ONCE is ONE time too many!
    • In order to simply inspect each cylinder for this and much worse, repair if an issue is found, the human mechanic will have to disassemble numerous parts to get to where they need to be. Breaking seals, gaskets, removing belts, and many many other parts. The likelihood of something not being reassembled correctly is a reality that is likely to cause future problems.
    • Due to the tight, dark, oily spaces in which the mechanic will need to work and depending on pressure to do the inspection and/or repair in a timely manner to meet and complete the high number of vehicles that they are likely to receive, the probability of something being missed because of the dark, oily, tight conditions, and/or a rushed job during the inspection and passed on as "Checks out OK" when it may not be is a reality that WILL cause future problems.
  • To make up for the inconvenience placed upon all current owners
  • To provide owners piece of mind that in the event something was missed or not properly repaired or reassembled (not limited to just the clip and cylinder issue but things that may arise because of something that was done or not done during the course of the inspection/repair), it will be covered by the warranty.
I could go on and on, but I think the point is well made just with the above reasons alone. I think that at the very least, ANY 2016 Honda Civic owner that had to go through the inspection and/or repair process should be offer the Honda Care Extended warranty (not some cheap 3rd party warranty).
Sponsored

Last edited:

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

StevieOntario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda...
I tried on another thread to get more info on this but not enough people participated to get a good idea. My build date was 12/15' and mine is not affected. Some others have reported 11/15' and they are affected. Plus since they aren't date specific i guess it doesn't really matter. Because this could have occurred until the first week of December and my car may have been assembled on the 2nd week of December. So it's really all for not.

Engines could have been built days or weeks ahead of the rest of the car, even cars in the same lot could have engines with varying assembly dates. Everything is tracked, every bolt, every nut, I could tell you the torque value on your left windshield wiper...

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just to be extremely clear, this recall only effects the 2.0L models, not the 1.5L Turbo models, correct?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
One, it's some small compensation for wasting our time having to take the car back to the dealer and get it worked on. I don't know about others but for me, if my car is recalled, this will be a huge hassle.
I'm not very sympathetic to this half of the argument. By this logic, they should extend your warranty on the whole car for any issue the car has to go in for. Not going to happen. Not by Honda, not by any manufacturer.
  • Diminished Value
    [*]Mechanics are human
    [*]To make up for the inconvenience placed upon all current owners
    [*]To provide owners piece of mind that in the event something was missed or not properly repaired or reassembled (not limited to just the clip and cylinder issue but things that may arise because of something that was done or not done during the course of the inspection/repair), it will be covered by the warranty.
I'm not persuaded that one recall of 46k vehicles for an assembly error will reduce the resale value of a '16 Civic. The value of GM cars plummets like a rock because, well, they are GM cars. I had a '12 Focus. It lost half its value in 19k miles and less than 3 years. Not because of recalls. But because no recall was ever performed to fix the things that ailed all of them. (Bad CVT transmission design and My Ford Touch, to name the first two biggies.)

I agree, the biggest risk of this is poor workmanship in the shops. But the fix to that is not offering an extended warranty on the whole car. It's more of what they already try to do: crack down on the dealers about service quality.

As above, I don't buy that you are owed something for every inconvenience in life.

The engine is still covered for the balance of the vehicle and powertrain warranties. Permit me to doubt that a problem created now will only become apparent, and traceable to this event, after those run out. OTOH, if something is missed or not properly reassembled, that can become a fight between Honda and the dealer over who has to pay to fix that. The dealers are responsible for quality of their work. Agreed, this is the biggest risk with this recall, any recall, really, and I'm not sure how Honda offering to extend the warranty on every facet of the car reduces it. My preference would be that they do things to reduce the risk, rather than try to bribe me into being happy about it.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the warranty for the transmissions on 2001 Accords was extended to 10 years / 100,000 mi by Honda after issues were discovered.

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not persuaded that one recall of 46k vehicles for an assembly error will reduce the resale value of a '16 Civic.
I wish I could believe your opinion over this to be correct, but there is much that proves otherwise, including personal experience. GM is not the only car manufacturer that has lost resale value after recalls. Toyota, VW, there are others, check for yourself. I would do more research for you but I don't have the time and already know from personal experience so I don't need to.

"A vehicle’s value may be diminished due to a manufacturer’s recall. Due to a recall by Toyota in 2009, a $250 million settlement compensated owners who sold their vehicles at a lesser prices due to their diminished value."

"The VW scandal could cost car owners $5,000 in diminished value" http://fortune.com/2015/09/28/volkswagen-emissions-scandal-consumer-costs/

The Civic recall may not be a 'scandal', but still, 46K vehicles being recalled for an engine assembly error on its first release is not small thing. People these days are hyper-sensitive to recalled vehicles because of past high-profile recalls such as those of Toyota, VW and GM. Buyers will avoid purchasing a vehicle that as been on any type of recall (as we all would), thus lowering the ability to sell a car, thus lowering it's resale value. The logic, evidence and math are there..

To further the point, there is a reason why there are attorneys dedicated to Diminished Value lawsuits and websites dedicated to determining Diminished Value. Because it is a reality!

You may argue this all you want, but in the end, time will reveal the truth on the subject. While I hope that time proves me wrong in this case for the sake of my own Civic's resale value, I will let logic drive my actions if or when it comes time for me to take this on with Honda!!

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the warranty for the transmissions on 2001 Accords was extended to 10 years / 100,000 mi by Honda after issues were discovered.
Yeah, I've had this happen for specific components as a "confidence building" measure before. Two I recall:

On our '09 135i, BMW extended the warranty on the high pressure fuel pump to convince owners it wasn't crap. This after several part number changes and many owners having repeat failures. They ultimately ended up knuckling under and doing a safety recall with a completely redesigned, not just turd polished, component. Too bad they never did this on the AC evaporator core. Ours were good for 10k miles or 2 years before bleeding out the refrigerant. Talk about an intrusive repair. Inspecting the snap rings on a '16 Civic is nothing by comparison.

Ford extended the warranty on the hardware behind the My Ford Touch pile of infotainment dung our '12 Focus possessed. Problem was that the hardware had to fail the diags before they'd replace it, and it never failed the diags. The hardware was fine. It was the software that was CRAP. And there was no warranty on that, just Ford's embarrassment in the face of massive bad publicity ever forced them to issue updates. That class action is still working its way through the courts. And Ford has cited the extended hardware warranty as a reason they shouldn't be further punished.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To further the point, there is a reason why there are attorneys dedicated to Diminished Value lawsuits and websites dedicated to determining Diminished Value. Because it is a reality!
Or because they want a piece of any action they can invent.

PRsCivicX

Winter Fun!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016, CRV LX 2015
Right now I only want to have more info on this car getting fixed (or not). I usually keep my Hondas very long so I care more about reliability than resale value. I told my 8 year old son that this will most probably be his first car... So after he gets through with it resale value will be 0 anyway!

j_illang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
I'm not very sympathetic to this half of the argument. By this logic, they should extend your warranty on the whole car for any issue the car has to go in for. Not going to happen. Not by Honda, not by any manufacturer.
I'm not persuaded that one recall of 46k vehicles for an assembly error will reduce the resale value of a '16 Civic. The value of GM cars plummets like a rock because, well, they are GM cars. I had a '12 Focus. It lost half its value in 19k miles and less than 3 years. Not because of recalls. But because no recall was ever performed to fix the things that ailed all of them. (Bad CVT transmission design and My Ford Touch, to name the first two biggies.)

I agree, the biggest risk of this is poor workmanship in the shops. But the fix to that is not offering an extended warranty on the whole car. It's more of what they already try to do: crack down on the dealers about service quality.

As above, I don't buy that you are owed something for every inconvenience in life.

The engine is still covered for the balance of the vehicle and powertrain warranties. Permit me to doubt that a problem created now will only become apparent, and traceable to this event, after those run out. OTOH, if something is missed or not properly reassembled, that can become a fight between Honda and the dealer over who has to pay to fix that. The dealers are responsible for quality of their work. Agreed, this is the biggest risk with this recall, any recall, really, and I'm not sure how Honda offering to extend the warranty on every facet of the car reduces it. My preference would be that they do things to reduce the risk, rather than try to bribe me into being happy about it.
Powertrain and engine 3 years right?