bobman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008. F150, 2013 wrangler, 1999 civic, 2000 wind star,94 explorer, 88 jimmy , 08 vtx1300, 14 crf250l, 15 cbr500r
UPDATED WITH OFFICIAL STOP SALE / RECALL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM HONDA (courtesy of HondaMan):

DATE: January 30, 2016
TO: All Honda Parts & Service Managers, Advisors and Personnel
RE: Stop Sale/Safety Recall: 2016 Civic Piston Pin Snap Ring

On Friday, January 29, 2016, American Honda notified NHTSA of a stop sale and safety recall for approximately 34,000 2016 Civic vehicles due to potentially missing or misset piston pin snap rings that may cause engine stall or failure. Any new or used units in dealer stock must be inspected, and if necessary, repaired per service bulletin 16-017, Safety Recall: Piston Pin Snap Ring once the parts, tools, and complete repair information are available. Refer to your eResponsibility report or VIN inquiry to determine which units in your inventory are affected by this safety recall.

Note: Affected vehicles should not be sold until the repair has been completed. Should an unrepaired vehicle result in any claim because of the required recall repair, the dealership will be solely responsible to the claimant, and will be required to defend and indemnify American Honda for any resulting claims.

All affected units will require use of a borescope to inspect the four cylinders to confirm correct piston pin snap ring placement. Vehicles exhibiting any concerns with piston pin snap ring placement may require replacement of damaged pistons, piston pins or rings, or other related engine components.

Replacement parts are not available at this time. American Honda is working to procure a sufficient number of borescopes and replacement parts to satisfy this recall. As such, the version of bulletin 16-017 posted on the Service Information System does not currently contain any tool, parts, warranty, inspection, or repair information. Once tools and parts are made available, American Honda will revise service bulletin 16-017 to include all details related to this recall. American Honda will notify dealers of the bulletin revision and tool distribution details via iN message.

Customers affected by this safety recall may visit your dealership prior to tool, parts and/or repair procedure availability. Please be sure to inform these customers of the safety recall, being sure to let them know that tools and parts are not currently available, and that they will be notified once supply stabilizes. American Honda expects to conduct customer notification in mid-March 2016. By this time, all necessary tools, parts and details are expected to be available.

As always, please be sure to check VIN status inquiry to determine if this or any open safety recall applies to a particular vehicle.

Click here for the placeholder version of service bulletin 16-017.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic engine recall - piston pin snap ring issue affecting some VINs 2016-civic-recall-

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic engine recall - piston pin snap ring issue affecting some VINs 2016-civic-tsb-recall-piston-pin-snap-ring-

I just tried to buy a 2016 ex today and while filling out the paper work the sales guy comes up to me and says. "Sorry. We can't sell this car. There is a recall that needs to be taken care of. It's a clip or something. "

I drove across town to a different dealer and the sales person there said that there was a recall issued this morning and there were only 3 on the lot that were not affected. The recall involves the Pistons or something.

I have looked in the Internet to see what this recall is without success. Does anybody have any ideas?

Robert

Update 1:

I just spoke to honda. I called the number listed on the recall web page - 888-234-2138

It's the engine. It seems that some fastener is coming loose or breaking causing pistons to come loose too (clarification - it's regarding a piston pin snap ring - there's a stop sale on it, per david1pro).

Parts are currently unavailable... I guess this means I'm not getting the one I had my eye on any time soon.

The issue is with all trim levels but seems vin specific from what I got out of them.

If you call and give them your vin they can tell if your on the recall. I'm sure they will issue some sort of formal recall soon.

Good luck.

Update 2:

Per CdnColin:
Like everyone here I just got off the phone with my dealer. Unfortunately my vehicle does have the 'M63 Piston clip' recall. They are showing that the part will be available February 5th. I will be called when the part is in. I have been told the car is fine to drive in the meantime. My car was made in Canada and was one if the first 1,500.

UP-DATE: CORRECTION
So I got off my butt and just visited my dealor. I was misinformed this morning as there was some confusion in the coding. My 1.5 Turbo Touring is subject to the M63 which is the amp. update.

My 1.5 Turbo is not subject to the M66 Piston Pin Circlip service. The M66 recall apparently is a 2.0 litre issue.

Update 3:
Summary per camhabib:
- There is one open recall and one TSB. The recall is for a piston clip, the TSB is for an amp issue effecting Touring trim levels.
- The recall affects only the 2.0L engine, and is VIN specific.
- The website is not currently up to date and you just call the Honda Recall line for info on your specific car.
- Parts will be arriving some time in the near future (Feb. 5th was suggested), and notices will be additionally mailed.

Update 4:
Translation of internal Honda memo sent to dealers, by j_illang:

So I got my hands on the company letter sent to the dealers. Not going to post it here because its not in English. In a nutshell:
  • 29-Jan afternoon, Honda Canada advised Transport Canada for a voluntary security recall impacting certain Honda Civic 2016 vehicles that are equipped with a 2.0 litre engine
  • On these vehicles, the circlip of piston may have not been installed properly which can cause defects or fuel leaks.
  • The models in question will be called in for inspection, and those that are damaged will be changed. Till date 1 case due to this problem has been raised in Canada and more in US.
  • Canada 8000 units, US 33,735 units.
  • Dealers should not sell any cars meeting the criteria above without inspecting first. Any sales that do occur, dealer assumes all responsibility for damages.
  • Tool to fix will be Snap-On BK5600, latest delivery 5-feb.
  • TSB A-3-15 will be issued as a guide for repair.
  • Buyers will be notified by mail during month of Feb. Can also verify on website after 1-feb to see who is impacted.
Called Honda to enquire about my 1.5 touring, not impacted. Also checked website, same conclusion.

Update 5:
Added official Honda recall memo above.

Update 6:
From a Canadian dealer's website regarding recall in Canada, courtesy of jereco77

Transport Canada Recall # 2016047
Recall Date
2016/02/01
Notification Type Safety Mfr
System Engine
Manufacturer Recall Number
Units Affected
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic engine recall - piston pin snap ring issue affecting some VINs question
Category Car
Recall Details
On certain vehicles equipped with 2.0L engines, a piston pin circlip may not have been installed or may have been improperly installed into the piston during assembly. If the circlip is not properly installed, over the course of engine operation, the piston pin will rub against the cylinder wall causing noise and damage, or in the worst case, the piston pin may detach from one side of the piston and cause an engine failure. Engine damage will eventually result in the engine stalling. Engine stalling would result in a loss of motive power; an engine failure would result in a sudden loss of motive power and may result in an under hood fire. These potential outcomes in conjunction with traffic and road conditions, and the driver's reactions, could increase the risk of a crash causing injury and/or property damage. Correction: Dealers will inspect, and repair as necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
It might not be the same thing, but I had a suspicious thing happen this last week. Found the car I wanted, but a guy at the dealer told me there's something wrong with the car and they had to send it back to the factory. But then a couple days later, another guy at the same dealer said the car is here and there's nothing wrong with it and the other guy must have made some mistake telling me that.

Never found out what the deal was, but could be related to what you're talking about. This was a 2016 Civic Touring. I was thinking maybe it was the Touring infotainment issue that they thought they had to send back but then got the software patch that fixed it?

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
i just tried to buy a 2016 ex today and while filling out the paper work the sales guy comes up to me and says. "Sorry. We can't sell this car. There is a recall that needs to be taken care of. It's a clip or something. "

I drove across town to a different dealer and the sales person there said that there was a recall issued this morning and there were only 3 on the lot that were not affected. The recall involves the Pistons or something.

I have looked in the Internet to see what this recall is without success. Does anybody have any ideas?

Robert
Pistons like engine pistons? :eek: i just got my EX last night.
EDIT: just checked the Honda owners webpage and there are no open recalls on the 2016 civic sedan.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well we'll all get at least a letter in the mail if its actually a recall on all or most '16s. I'm not sure how accurate the honda owners page is - I don't think they list the TSB either.

OP
OP

bobman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008. F150, 2013 wrangler, 1999 civic, 2000 wind star,94 explorer, 88 jimmy , 08 vtx1300, 14 crf250l, 15 cbr500r
Pistons like engine pistons? :eek: i just got my EX last night.
EDIT: just checked the Honda owners webpage and there are no open recalls on the 2016 civic sedan.

I don't know man.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. The first sales guys said the work would be done Monday and I could pick it up Monday night. He was trying to lock me into the deal with a deposit. If it is engine pistons that does not sound right.

I was hoping to find info here.

I was told that it does not effect all of the civics. Maybe just the 150 hp version??

it did effect all the ones I wanted. (Red).

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know man.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. The first sales guys said the work would be done Monday and I could pick it up Monday night. He was trying to lock me into the deal with a deposit. If it is engine pistons that does not sound right.

I was hoping to find info here.

I was told that it does not effect all of the civics. Maybe just the 150 hp version??

it did effect all the ones I wanted. (Red).
If its the 150hp models that's LX and EX. Really praying to god it's just a sensor or something and they they dont have to take apart the motor. Motors are never the same after the factory seals are broken.

OP
OP

bobman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If its the 150hp models that's LX and EX. Really praying to god it's just a sensor or something and they they dont have to take apart the motor. Motors are never the same after the factory seals are broken.

I really wish I could have gotten more information from the dealers but they seemed clueless. They just knew which ones were in the recall by the vin number.

Apparently it was issued this morning some time. One of the sales people said it should show up on the internet tonight. But take that for what it's worth.

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really wish I could have gotten more information from the dealers but they seemed clueless. They just knew which ones were in the recall by the vin number.

Apparently it was issued this morning some time. One of the sales people said it should show up on the internet tonight. But take that for what it's worth.
What dealership was this? Maybe i can look at their inventory, check the red ones and see what similarities all the vins have.

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
If this is true, it's probably a stop sale, which is different than a recall. I'd still really like to know what it was about.

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I'm in canada and I just looked up my Vin number on honda canadas website and this is what it said: An outstanding recall or product update campaign has been identified for your vehicle. However, the description document for this campaign is not yet available. It will be posted shortly. For immediate assistance, please contact your Honda dealer or Honda Canada Customer Relations at 888-9HONDA9 for more information.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
I'm in canada and I just looked up my Vin number on honda canadas website and this is what it said: An outstanding recall or product update campaign has been identified for your vehicle. However, the description document for this campaign is not yet available. It will be posted shortly. For immediate assistance, please contact your Honda dealer or Honda Canada Customer Relations at 888-9HONDA9 for more information.
Uh oh, that's not good. Can you tell us the type of your vehicle? The trim, engine type, and whether it has Sensing?

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well this isn't sounding too good. 77 miles on my engine and now it possibly may have to be opened up.... fantastic.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
The US site shows no recalls for a 2016 Civic Sedan in general (the site doesn't let you choose the trim).

OP
OP

bobman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RECALL RESULT
VIN: 2HGFC2F72GH502257
Year: 2016
Make: Honda
Model: Civic Sedan
Last Updated: Jan 29, 2016
There are no current safety recalls for this vehicle.
"

This is the one I tried to buy.
Sponsored