CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This makes it sound as if they're going to do a tear down and rebuild - did they say they're just going to replace the part or the entire block?
I would think it will be a tear down to repace the part. I was only advised that the part would be available Feb. 5. Who knows, maybe the part being replaced is the whole engine. I expect it to be the clip in question.
Sponsored

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
I'll be calling Honda USA around 11am eastern US time to see what they say to me today.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
so the dealership called me to follow up on my car since i just got it 2 days ago. i asked him about it and he said only the 2L engines are affected

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so the dealership called me to follow up on my car since i just got it 2 days ago. i asked him about it and he said only the 2L engines are affected
This all sounds like he said, she said. The 1.5 and 2.0 both use the same pin snap ring. Unless maybe they only built 2.0L engines during the time period that the faulty snap rings were in circulation.? Just a confusing deal as of now to say the least.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
This all sounds like he said, she said. The 1.5 and 2.0 both use the same pin snap ring. Unless maybe they only built 2.0L engines during the time period that the faulty snap rings were in circulation.? Just a confusing deal as of now to say the least.
thats what i was thinking too, we wont know until honda makes a statement about it

ninja_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016-MSM-LX-6SP
Country flag
As of 930AM EST...my honda sales rep (coworker's husband) is completely unaware of this issue but he's going to look into it

On the phone with Honda Customer Relations rep "Julia" as i write this...my LX came from Alliston and my VIN currently "appears" to be part of the recall batch. Summary of my convo...

• They're going through the process of legals & ministry
  • There's yet to be an official press release as they're working out the details
  • Information from Honda is definitely "lacking" as the rep is pretty clueless offering typical canned responses but repeatedly assures me that if the situation was severe it would be "swiftly actionable"
  • At the moment Honda engineers are determining the best possible fix

For me...the honeymoom phase with the 2016 and Honda has quickly ended, I'm truly disappointed with the brand and starting to regret this purchase.

Last edited:

kolokot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-T
Country flag
If one can believe Honda Canada reps, my EX-T is not on the recall list. Needless to say that I am happy for now.

BBurgDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Talked to my dealer (in SW VA) - he said they had a conf call with Honda this morning and all of their cars, except for the EX-Ts (1.5s) are affected by the issue. My impression was that this was more a function of when those (2) cars were built, not the engine type. He was not sure about cars inbound yet since he did not have VINs for those yet. He said they would need parts for the fix and it was definitely the snap ring engine issue.

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
Just got a call from Honda Canada and for me its just a Amp software update confirmed. They said no engine or piston recall on my vin. I have a touring from early batch.

jereco77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring black
So my honda sales guy called me when he found out i called the service manager here in Canada brampton about the recall to the engine having issues with the pistons. He looked it up. It states that there is 8000 units effected by this issue in Canada and US but as of right now they are all the 2.0 litre engines and not the 1.5 turbo.

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Called American Honda and asked about a piston snap ring recall. She said nothing is currently in their system but if that changes i would be notified through the mail. :banghead::mad::mad:. My dealership called me to ask about the car i asked him about the recall. He said they still haven't had their sales conference so they won't know yet. I honestly just want an answer at this point. Yes i may be inpatient but this is my first brand new car. Yes i knew there would be issues but i never thought Honda know for their motors would have a motor issue.

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
So my honda sales guy called me when he found out i called the service manager here in Canada brampton about the recall to the engine having issues with the pistons. He looked it up. It states that there is 8000 units effected by this issue in Canada and US but as of right now they are all the 2.0 litre engines and not the 1.5 turbo.
Now this is pretty specific information. Let's hope it's contained to this batch only and goes no further. If that's the case it looks like I lucked out on this one. When I took delivery last week I broke down and purchased an 8 year extended warranty which is something I don't usually do. I did it mainly for the electronics but I'm feeling better about getting it now that this news came out.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to say the 1.5 Turbo is definately part of the recall. My Touring is part of the 'M63 Piston clip' recall. I had that confirmed this morning.

CivicVA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I own a 2016 Civic Touring and I called the 888 customer care number and they said no, it is not on the list for this. I purchased my car in Nov 2015.
Sponsored