2 Issues-Unlocking Passenger Door While Car Running, and Phone Cuts off When Engine Shuts Down.

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my Touring Coupe for a few months now, everything works well but I have noticed two things that seem odd. Firstly, I've been outside my Coupe with the car running, with the passenger door locked and I can't seem to unlock the door. When I attempt to unlock the passenger door from the outside it doesn't want to open despite me having my key fob on my person. I try to touch the door handle and no go, I then try to unlock the door using the remote control unlock button and it won't unlock. I then have to go back into the car and unlock the door. This seems counterproductive, and my Jeep allows me to do it all the time. I know I can unlock both doors before getting out of the vehicle but you should be able to unlock the door from the outside if needed. On my Jeep my wife can enter the vehicle from the passenger side with the vehicle running if she has her fob with her, it doesn't seen to work on the Civic.

Secondly, is there any way to shut down the vehicle and not have the phone cut off if you are on a phone call ? With my other vehicles you can shut off the vehicle and still continue using the Bluetooth phone system. If I'm in the middle of a long phone call I don't want to keep my car idling , and if I shut off the engine the Bluetooth phone system shuts down and reverts back to my cel phone. I don't know if I'm missing a step somewhere but there should be the option of continuing the Bluetooth call with the engine turned off. Thanks for any replies on this.
Sponsored

jkm2730

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had my Touring Coupe for a few months now, everything works well but I have noticed two things that seem odd. Firstly, I've been outside my Coupe with the car running, with the passenger door locked and I can't seem to unlock the door. When I attempt to unlock the passenger door from the outside it doesn't want to open despite me having my key fob on my person. I try to touch the door handle and no go, I then try to unlock the door using the remote control unlock button and it won't unlock. I then have to go back into the car and unlock the door. This seems counterproductive, and my Jeep allows me to do it all the time. I know I can unlock both doors before getting out of the vehicle but you should be able to unlock the door from the outside if needed. On my Jeep my wife can enter the vehicle from the passenger side with the vehicle running if she has her fob with her, it doesn't seen to work on the Civic.

Secondly, is there any way to shut down the vehicle and not have the phone cut off if you are on a phone call ? With my other vehicles you can shut off the vehicle and still continue using the Bluetooth phone system. If I'm in the middle of a long phone call I don't want to keep my car idling , and if I shut off the engine the Bluetooth phone system shuts down and reverts back to my cel phone. I don't know if I'm missing a step somewhere but there should be the option of continuing the Bluetooth call with the engine turned off. Thanks for any replies on this.
I think I have a solution for the cell phone usage when shutting down the engine it involves NOT putting the vehicle in Park but instead leaving the vehicle in D or N. Just apply the parking brake, do not move the gear selector, leave the vehicle in Drive or Neutral, and then hit the power switch. I do this to continue to listen to my stereo while waiting in line at the Costco gas station and not wanting to idle.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I noticed both those things. I've concluded in my mind it's some sort of safety feature to avoid getting carjacked or something, but it is annoying in certain circumstances, I agree.

As for the phone call, what ^ said. It'll put your car in accessory mode. I prefer Neutral because it still feels weird to shut off the car while in gear.

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
With the phone call there is a way to switch the call from the car system back to the phone mid call. There is an option on the display, I forget the icon, that will change the call to the phone. So just pick up your phone and put it to your ear and press the option on the display unit. You can then shut off the car and continue talking. This is also useful if you don't want passengers to hear what the person on the phone is saying while the car is on.

OP
OP
JS2000

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I think I have a solution for the cell phone usage when shutting down the engine it involves NOT putting the vehicle in Park but instead leaving the vehicle in D or N. Just apply the parking brake, do not move the gear selector, leave the vehicle in Drive or Neutral, and then hit the power switch. I do this to continue to listen to my stereo while waiting in line at the Costco gas station and not wanting to idle.
Thanks for the reply on this, I will definitely try that. I was also going to mention that I also dislike having the radio shut off when I want to stay in the vehicle listening to music if shut down the engine, much like you mentioned. So I will try procedure for both instances, thanks very much !

OP
OP
JS2000

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
With the phone call there is a way to switch the call from the car system back to the phone mid call. There is an option on the display, I forget the icon, that will change the call to the phone. So just pick up your phone and put it to your ear and press the option on the display unit. You can then shut off the car and continue talking. This is also useful if you don't want passengers to hear what the person on the phone is saying while the car is on.
Thanks very much, I'm glad that
I noticed both those things. I've concluded in my mind it's some sort of safety feature to avoid getting carjacked or something, but it is annoying in certain circumstances, I agree.

As for the phone call, what ^ said. It'll put your car in accessory mode. I prefer Neutral because it still feels weird to shut off the car while in gear.
Thanks very much, glad to hear that it isn't just me noticing this, and yes it can be frustrating in some circumstances. It must be some safety feature.

I just remembered that I don't have the auto unlock feature enabled on my car, I guess if I had that working it might unlock both doors when I exit the car, but you should still be able to open the door with the key fob IMO.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Thanks very much, I'm glad that

Thanks very much, glad to hear that it isn't just me noticing this, and yes it can be frustrating in some circumstances. It must be some safety feature.

I just remembered that I don't have the auto unlock feature enabled on my car, I guess if I had that working it might unlock both doors when I exit the car, but you should still be able to open the door with the key fob IMO.
I think the only thing you might be able to do for the unlocking issue is to se the car to unlock all doors in all instances in the vehicle settings. I think there is a total of 3 settings you have to change

barrytran92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX

1st : confirmed.
2nd : have never happened before. Trying with Speaker and non-speaker before connect Bluetooth and making a call via bluetooth, voice assistant :)

Last edited:

barrytran92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX
did you try to delete all bluetooth users and factory reset setting? Might the 2nd be fixed.

jkm2730

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the reply on this, I will definitely try that. I was also going to mention that I also dislike having the radio shut off when I want to stay in the vehicle listening to music if shut down the engine, much like you mentioned. So I will try procedure for both instances, thanks very much !
Also if you use the "Brake Hold" feature as I almost always do then when you come to a stop, while in "Brake Hold", and the vehicle is in Drive you can just unbuckle your seatbelt and the car will automatically apply the Parking Brake for you, then just hit the power switch. I am with you on wanting to finish listening to a song when I pull into the garage but not wanting to idle the engine.

OP
OP
JS2000

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Also if you use the "Brake Hold" feature as I almost always do then when you come to a stop, while in "Brake Hold", and the vehicle is in Drive you can just unbuckle your seatbelt and the car will automatically apply the Parking Brake for you, then just hit the power switch. I am with you on wanting to finish listening to a song when I pull into the garage but not wanting to idle the engine.
Every day I pull into my wife's work lot and I wait for her to come out of the office, so I like to keep listening to the audio system on vehicle shutdown without going through the start up process again. I hate to miss a phony phone call on Howard Stern lol :)
Sponsored