2.0 vs 1.5T

d_park2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord v6
Hey everyone! I am pretty psyched about the new 10th gen Civic, and am seriously considering buying one soon. I'm interested in the EX, EX-T, and the EX-L. I'm kind of concerned about long term reliability of the 1.5T since it is a brand new motor with direct injection and a turbo. The 2.0 seems like a safe choice, since it is naturally aspirated and port injected, but the EX 2.0 doesnt have all of the bells and whistles, either. The CVT just seems like bad news either way... I'd like some feedback/advice/pros and cons from 1.5T and 2.0 owners. Thanks!
Sponsored

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
If it's one thing Honda does well, it's build solid, reliable engines. If they bothered with a turbo, they've done their research first. It's hardly a new technology. The CVT works well, too! If you want the manual though, just wait for the 2017s later this year.

OP
OP

d_park2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord v6
If it's one thing Honda does well, it's build solid, reliable engines. If they bothered with a turbo, they've done their research first. It's hardly a new technology. The CVT works well, too! If you want the manual though, just wait for the 2017s later this year.
I will most likely wait for the 2017 models to roll in, since this is a new platform with new engines. If there are any bugs, Honda will hopefully have them worked out for the 17's.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
I think a lot of the bugs have been worked out by now...my car was manufactured 7/2016, all the issues everyone complain about, I have none...may creep up, but maybe everything was all updated, maybe I am just lucky? If you can wait, I would say wait, but I wondered about the turbo reliability...Honda won't just release the car without tests, especially with the civic, its extremely reliable in the past. I never did drive the 2.0 after driving the turbo, I knew this was the one for me

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think a lot of the bugs have been worked out by now...my car was manufactured 7/2016, all the issues everyone complain about, I have none...may creep up, but maybe everything was all updated, maybe I am just lucky? If you can wait, I would say wait, but I wondered about the turbo reliability...Honda won't just release the car without tests, especially with the civic, its extremely reliable in the past. I never did drive the 2.0 after driving the turbo, I knew this was the one for me
Yeh same here knock on wood mine was built in April

CBR600F4i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
Reliability should be fine. Honda takes reliability with the Civic very seriously. They know they can't screw it up. It's a fairly low compression ratio on the turbo so you shouldn't worry too much. As for the DI and CVT, I think both have been proven to be reliable in the Accord and CRV drivetrains.

I went for the turbo because I've never had a turbo on any car before. And it's got very nice power.

reversals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
As someone that used to hate the idea of CVTs, I can honestly say it's a nonissue. CVTs have come a long way from what they used to be.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
If worse case trade it in down the road and it will still worth something...

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
I feel the cvt in the civic is better than in our crv... I don't even notice it, the crv is louder, and much slower than the civic :)

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Although i wish that the civic had a 6AT, the CVT has been great with the turbocharged 1.5L. I got my car at the end of April, and aside from a few quality control issues from the factory, its been an awesome car and I can't wait to ride it for another 10 years.

TheWalkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many
Country flag
Two of the main reasons I went with the EX 2.0: a non-turboed engine and the simplicity and efficiency of a CVT. (My last car is/was a bi-turboed Audi. $2000 for a timing belt replacement. Never again.)

The Acura ILX was intriguing but I prefer the smaller 2.0 motor and wonder, in the back of my mind, how the cool, paddle shifter equipped, dual clutch Acura 8 speed transmission will age compared to the CVT. Lots of moving parts. And is that worth a 35 to fifty percent premium over the simple Civic?

My only disappointments with the EX 2.0 were the lack of leather (cheap seats) and on-going CarPlay issues. Other than that, I've had more fun with this car than a high school kid with a new MG.

I put my money on the Civic. I plan to run this car 'til the wheels fall off. YMMV.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Two of the main reasons I went with the EX 2.0: a non-turboed engine and the simplicity and efficiency of a CVT. (My last car is/was a bi-turboed Audi. $2000 for a timing belt replacement. Never again.)

My only disappointments with the EX 2.0 was the lack of leather (cheap seats) and on-going CarPlay issues. Other than that, I've had more fun with this car than a high school kid with a new MG.)

The Acura ILX was intriguing but I prefer the smaller 2.0 motor and wonder, in the back of my mind, how the cool, paddle shifter equipped, dual clutch Acura 8 speed transmission will age compare to the CVT. Lots of moving parts. And is that worth a 35 to fifty percent premium over the simple Civic?

I put my money on the Civic. I plan to run this car 'til the wheels fall off. YMMV.
To be honest, if I had known a lot of the bells and whistles were on the LX (which they are, i.e. Carplay and AA) I would have went for the LX in a heart beat if it had a sunroof. That was honestly my number one deal breaker.

I think both engines will last well beyond 200K miles, with proper maintenance of course. As for the timing belts, that's why a lot of them changed over to timing chains, and aside from the 3.5L V6 engines Honda has with the timing belt, I have yet to see a timing chain on any civic platform (8th gen or newer) that had to be replaced. You're in good hands!

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A B5 Audi S4? Well, that's a pretty extreme example against turbo engines, and you probably didn't have issue with the turbos themselves! That was a car you didn't buy unless you could fix it all yourself (preferably with a spare car) or had very deep pockets. And a spare car.

Don't judge them all by that measuring stick, but it was one reason I didn't leap at the B8.5 Audi S4 (V6 Supercharged) that I REALLY wanted... No time these days to maintain, and NOT deep pockets!

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A B5 Audi S4? Well, that's a pretty extreme example against turbo engines, and you probably didn't have issue with the turbos themselves! That was a car you didn't buy unless you could fix it all yourself (preferably with a spare car) or had very deep pockets. And a spare car.

Don't judge them all by that measuring stick, but it was one reason I didn't leap at the B8.5 Audi S4 (V6 Supercharged) that I REALLY wanted... No time these days to maintain, and NOT deep pockets!
Not to mention Audis and other German cars are notorious for electrical problems that have repair bills well into the thousands of dollars. I wanted to get an A5 or an S5 back a couple years ago until I started seeing the costs with some owners making them just about bankrupt.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Actually they're not too bad. It's when you have the issue AND have to pay for dealer servicing that it'll bankrupt you. If you can troubleshoot yourself, like I did, you can find the issue more quickly and for way less money. I'd buy one, but the wife didn't 'like' it (wanted a Mitsubishi Lancer) so I killed two birds with one stone. Got a good value 'compromise' car and tweaked HER nose at the same time! ;)
Sponsored