'17 LX Sedan: Exhaust Odor

arhncmh

It's not my fault, really.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
Never experienced this before. The (cold start) exhaust from my car smells to me like VOCs from a magic marker. I only smell it if I have a window open and drive the car in reverse. Odor is fairly strong and unlike anything I've experienced. Any thoughts, feedback? Thanks in advance. FYI, I'm still on the original oil (3K miles), I use regular 87 octane fuel, no additives or anything like that.
Sponsored

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
I have been noticing some sort of smell too. Hard to identify.... not quite gasoline. It almost seems like possibly crankcase vapor or an exhaust leak ahead of the catalytic converter. It's subtle but there and sometimes inside the cabin even with windows up. Mines a 2017 sport hatch cvt. Have you brought it in yet for it? About 6500 miles on it.

OP
OP
arhncmh

arhncmh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
Have you brought it in yet for it?
Nah... I'm much more of a do it yourselfer. That, and I can't stand the thought of anyone else working on my car. If the smell was present after the engine / exhaust warmed, or if the fuel mileage was poor (it's fine), I might be pressed to have it looked at under warranty. I'm really hoping someone on these Forums is familiar and can share their experience with us.

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
Keep us posted if you find anything. I did post in another note here that I found the fuel filler to seem loose. When you insert the spout from the pump you can move the whole thing around. I never had a cap less gas tank before so I don't know if that's normal. But like you said, the odor isn't exactly like gasoline, more like a white board marker.

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
I filled it up today and now I'm thinking it just might be gasoline smell. Gas smell is different these days, more pungent. It didn't do it again but I noticed the odor sniffing near the filler being the same .

OP
OP
arhncmh

arhncmh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
Well I'll have my own opportunity to check the odor when I fill the gas can for my lawn mower. Spring has sprung.

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
I'm still trying to sort this. Tonight it really seems the odor comes thru the vents after you stop driving. I cranked up the fan and def smells of something, I think crank case vapor. I left engine running and opened the hood and there is a subtle odor of exhaust or gas ... definite hydrocarbon type smell. I closed the hood n got back in and the odor from the vent with fan cranked up again was gone. First free oil change is due at dealer so gonna log it with them then. I think there might be a crankcase leak somewhere that gets into the ventilation.

OP
OP
arhncmh

arhncmh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
Still only from the back for me...and still smells like a marker. You said white board marker...that's not a bad description.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I'm still trying to sort this. Tonight it really seems the odor comes thru the vents after you stop driving. I cranked up the fan and def smells of something, I think crank case vapor. I left engine running and opened the hood and there is a subtle odor of exhaust or gas ... definite hydrocarbon type smell. I closed the hood n got back in and the odor from the vent with fan cranked up again was gone. First free oil change is due at dealer so gonna log it with them then. I think there might be a crankcase leak somewhere that gets into the ventilation.
I have the same issue now since like 2000km. I check to see if I had any leaks but nothing

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen '17 LX Sedan: Exhaust Odor IMG_0482.JPG
The dealer a month or so ago said to use recirculate on the vent control to reduce the odor, that I think may be crankcase vapor. I was poking around under the hood today and found this hood gasket had popped off at this curve where my finger is. It's back on in the pic. Note the vent intake is right behind it. The dealer mentioned that the vent intake takes air and it may pickup vapor from the engine compartment. I haven't been noticing the odor lately but thought I'd pass this on, if the gasket is open vapor from the engine compartment probably will get into the vent.

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport Touring, 2010 Subaru Forester, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Country flag
I am going to tack onto this thread... my 2019 Hatch ST developed this smell at the beginning of March 2020. It just appeared in my cabin one morning and I've been trying to figure it out since. It doesn't just smell when I drive, but also when I enter the vehicle after it's been sitting for a bit. It's not quite gasoline, nor exhaust... but the magic marker analogy seems most accurate. Definitely something petroleum-like. Drives me bananas. My family dismisses it as a strong new-car-smell... but that doesn't just happen after I've been driving the thing for 6 months. Will poke around some more for clues. Seems that the smell is worse when running floor vents, and almost non-existent when only dash vents are open.

Will hate to have to take my car to the dealer so that some apprentice can be learning on my vehicle, but it's becoming unbearable to enjoy the ride anymore. Had a suspension upgrade lined up for the car... but this is a show-stopper at the moment.

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport Touring, 2010 Subaru Forester, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Country flag
My case cracked... by chance. While investigating the source of the nasty odour, I decided to remove my WeatherTech liners and threw them in the garage while I pursued leads. There was nothing I could pin down inside the cabin, or outside as possible source... no leaks, cabin filter dry and odourless... but the stench lingered. When I re-entered the garage in a couple of hours later, it became pretty obvious... my expensive WeatherTech floor liners stunk up the place pretty good. Putting my nose to the driver side liner confirmed the source.

I was supper happy to have cracked the case, but disappointed that the liners had to go. I will be pursuing with WeaherTech but it will probably go nowhere, so I am out $160CAD. While dong some research, I found similar cases, one of which stood out on the Jeep Forum. I've been happy with WeatherTech liners in my other vehicles, but this one was a dud. I have been airing out the cabin for a week now, and it's getting better. The liners have been sitting outside, and still reek.
Sponsored