1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →

Featured 10th gen Civic Hatchback for US market to be produced in UK

Discussion in 'General 10th Gen Discussions' started by Administrator, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Honda
    Honda has announced that its UK production plant will be the global production center for the next Civic five-door hatchback. The company has pledged £200 million ($295 million) of investment for this UK plant.

Following that announcement, Honda of North America has now announced that the Civic hatchback which the US will receive will be imported from the UK.

“This significant announcement demonstrates the opportunity available to the Swindon operation and reinforces the quality and reliability of the product coming from our UK facility,” said Philip Crossman, managing director of Honda UK.

Currently, around 40,000 Civics are built at HUM with production of other Honda models, currently made in Swindon, being transferred elsewhere in the coming months.

It is estimated that Honda will produce about 120,000 Civics per year in the town, with export to split between Europe gateways and the rest of the world.

As we've posted before, this means that the US will receive the next gen Civic coupe, sedan, and hatchback (5-door) models, as well as the Si and Type-R versions.

2. NIN

NIN Senior Member

Car(s):
    Hondas 4 life
    Good and bad news in some ways. Good that they are bringing it over to the US but that means not for another at least two years probably since the current 5 door hatch just started building the mid cycle redesigned Type R. Seems like it would be another two years before a whole new Type R design and one that is destined for the US.

3. Izze Member

Car(s):
    ILX
    The sedan/coupe will be built in the US right? I'm surprised the Type R will be imported. I guess not enough sales volume to justify bringing production to the states?

4. martyr

martyr Senior Member

Car(s):
    Boring Accord family hauler
    I thought the next Type R (production model) was just revealed in March at the Geneva auto show? This isn't the one we're getting and we're getting the next redesign?

Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 7.08.18 AM.jpg

5. Samir Member

^^ I was undre impression that should be the one we're getting.

6. NIN

NIN Senior Member

Car(s):
    Hondas 4 life
    I don't think Honda has actually said this is the one we're getting. There are very few details about it yet so by time it makes its way over to the US, it could be time for a redesign. Also homologation sometimes does strange (and bad) things to the design. Usually it happens when importing from the US since Europe has stricter standards in a lot of ways...

7. Miguel Member

Kinda confusing that they reveal what I thought was the production Civic Type R and then the Coupe "Concept". Guess when they reveal the production Civic coupe and it shows the same interior as the Type R then we'll know that the two are meant to be the same generation?

8. Whoosh Senior Member

Car(s):
    FJ Cruiser
    That was the production Civic Type R...it's going on sale this summer in Europe, expected around £30,000. We just don't know if this is the one that will make it to the US by time 2018 (?) rolls around.

9. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    2009 Civic EX
    I'm hoping for a redesign by then. Not that I dont love the new Type R but by then it will be 3 years old and some of that novelty will have worn off. Come to think of it, did they mention the Type R shown in Geneva will ride on a new platform? That should be the telltale sign. The '16 Civic is an all new ground up redesign, no chance they bring a Type R using an older platform than the standard models.

10. waterman

waterman Member

Car(s):
    2013 Honda Civic Si coupe, 2016 Ford GT350
    The 5 door is quite pedestrian... build the 2 dr. coupe. Honda has the capability to build this car in the US/ Canada. That will keep the cost down and more attractive to the North American market.

11. hothatchi Senior Member

Car(s):
    Golf Mark5
    Pedestrian how? I think it makes an otherwise somewhat bland car (current gen) look sportier. Should have the same effect on the Gen X.

12. waterman

waterman Member

Car(s):
    2013 Honda Civic Si coupe, 2016 Ford GT350
    There are many reasons that most performance cars have only 2 doors. Other than a far superior appearance, weight and body rigidity are two. If you want 5 doors, buy a minivan.

13. randY49

randY49 Senior Member

Home Page:
    Car(s):
    1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
    LOL, "Other than a far superior appearance", this is called an opinion. The last two points are true, can't argue with that. However, some sporty car drivers have friends, so for us, four (or five) doors are appreciated.

14. hothatchi Senior Member

Car(s):
    Golf Mark5
    Performance cars usually also have RWD or AWD. So I think we are getting into a gray area here. Point being, the definition of a performance car is pretty flexible in this day and age given what technology is capable of.

15. opiektidung

opiektidung Pulau Tidung

Home Page:
    Car(s):
    avanza
    we look forward to the new car that will come out Geneva auto show