0w-20 factory oil weight

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
This was posted elsewhere but figured it's important enough for its own thread.

Interesting that the base Civic is running the same 0w-20 oil weight as the CTR.

Obviously every engine is different, but here are some oil weight specs for the CTR competitors.

Sti and wrx: 5w-30
Golf R: 5w-30
Focus RS: 5w-50

Honda Civic 10th gen 0w-20 factory oil weight IMG_4175.PNG
Sponsored

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
It will be interesting to see is Honda uses the "Type 2" special oil formulated for the FK2 (15-16 CTR) if they don't, I will be switching to an Ester Based Synthetic after my factory drain.
Honda Civic 10th gen 0w-20 factory oil weight IMG_0873.JPG

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
It will be interesting to see is Honda uses the "Type 2" special oil formulated for the FK2 (15-16 CTR) if they don't, I will be switching to an Ester Based Synthetic after my factory drain.
IMG_0873.JPG
I had no idea Honda made a special formula just for the FK2.

https://www.hondaparts247.co.uk/products/genuine-honda-0w-20-type-2-0-engine-oil-1-litre

It looks like it's only a UK product. I wonder if Honda would go through the trouble of importing the oil to the US just for the FK8.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Oh no...not an oil thread. I knew it would happen sooner or later.

As for me, I will be running whatever the owners manual indicates, just as I have always done. I will forever be of the belief that the people who write the manual about the car, know the car best. And following these procedures will also allow you to have a case, should an issue arise for warranty.

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag

As for me, I will be running whatever the owners manual indicates, just as I have always done. I will forever be of the belief that the people who write the manual about the car, know the car best. And following these procedures will also allow you to have a case, should an issue arise for warranty.
A car forum isn't complete without a 50 page discussion about oil weight lol.

I don't think we need to beat a dead horse about fuel economy and oil weight. There will always be compromises made by the manufacturer.

Even if running a thicker oil provides better protection especially for track days, I'd prefer having my repair covered under warranty.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be changing my oil very often in this car. Gotta combat fuel dilution. Here is my 1.5T UOA, mind you, my new car won't see below freezing temps where we believe this is the main cause of more than 5% fuel in my oil.

Honda Civic 10th gen 0w-20 factory oil weight IMG_0830.PNG

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Sometimes, they change recommended oil grades just to look better MPG-wise. I forget when and which model, but a while back, engine hardware was identical for two consecutive model years, yet Honda wanted to increase their efficiency figures. But for the CTR, I imagine max performance/protection is the priority over MPG numbers.

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I'll be changing my oil very often in this car. Gotta combat fuel dilution. Here is my 1.5T UOA, mind you, my new car won't see below freezing temps where we believe this is the main cause of more than 5% fuel in my oil.

IMG_0830.PNG
lol "check for fuel leak". Almost every direct injection engine will have this issue. My 15 WRX has the same problem. The FK8R will also.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
lol "check for fuel leak". Almost every direct injection engine will have this issue. My 15 WRX has the same problem. The FK8 will also.
lol fair enough, only solution is to change often I guess!

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Um, the FK2 was the only Honda in the UK that was using 0w20. Remember that the 10th gen Civic (and 1.5l turbo motor) was only just introduced there.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Um, the FK2 was the only Honda in the UK that was using 0w20. Remember that the 10th gen Civic (and 1.5l turbo motor) was only just introduced there.
You're sure the other UK Hondas didn't use 0W-20?

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I don't know what I'll run, but it'll probaby be your typical brand-name synthetic 0W20 (Mobil 1, etc.) that I change very often - mainly because I think fuel dilution is the biggest issue with turbocharged direct-injected gasoline motors. https://passenger.lubrizoladditives...-Injection-Is-Engine-Oils-Next-Big-Hurdle.pdf
Sponsored