ARCDenver

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
So about 2 months ago I noticed a rotten smell coming from the vents of my car just after start up and after running for a few minutes the smell would go away. Just today I replaced the transmission fluid and noticed the fluid I drained smelled almost just like the smell I've been smelling, I added the normal HCF-2 fluid the vehicle calls for and was just wondering if this may be the smell I've been experiencing. Some input would be great.
Sponsored

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
So about 2 months ago I noticed a rotten smell coming from the vents of my car just after start up and after running for a few minutes the smell would go away. Just today I replaced the transmission fluid and noticed the fluid I drained smelled almost just like the smell I've been smelling, I added the normal HCF-2 fluid the vehicle calls for and was just wondering if this may be the smell I've been experiencing. Some input would be great.
What's "rotten"? There needs to be a better description than that. Does it smell like something specific?

You said "normal HCF-2" so I'm guessing you used a non-Honda CVT fluid just prior to this? Two automotive fluids that smell awful are:
1. Certain aftermarket AT and CVT fluids: Especially Valvoline, I don't know what additive package they use but it smells like fish it's disgusting.
2. Gear oil: The gear oils with sulfur-based EP additives smell like rotten eggs.

Sometimes after a bit of driving and things warming up, if I open the hood I can smell trace amounts of heated transmission fluid, not burning but as if its heated up on a hot plate or something. Been like that on every Civic I owned. Honda's AT and CVT fluid smells good though with a bitter and high-pitched scent, drastically different from fishy Valvoline.

The transmission is vented through a rubber plug on the top of the CVT around where the CVT mates to the back of the engine (it's near the radiator, just under the intake tubing), so I just assume the scent of heated oil is coming from the vent. If you used an aftermarket smelly CVT fluid I would assume heating that up inside the CVT would produce a smelly odor from the vent...
Sponsored