Ordered new fuel door actuator - is this normal?

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey everyone. I ordered a new fuel door actuator. Mine is making an intermittent buzzing noise. It works. But I ordered a new part in case it takes a dump on me randomly as things tend to with cars. In fact both drivers side and passenger side doors do that and so I ordered new ones as well. So I'll be ready when they die. A lot of the OEM stuff seems to be all on back order. I don't wanna wait 6 months..

They randomly buzz or squeal when it's really cold or been sitting in the intense sun all day. The door actuators I ordered through one of the many Honda vendors I usually order from.

I had to order the fuel door actuator through eBay instead. As it seems all Honda vendor sites say the part is unavailable. Strangely enough this one seller on eBay has over 10. I thought was weird he had so many and every Honda vendor is out of them. So I sent a message asking about it and all I got back was a 5% coupon off of my order. Lol. Never got a reply about my question. I said what the heck and ordered. I can always return it if it's janky. It says it's genuine Honda. Made sure was the right part number which was kinda of tricky.

So I finally got the part and it looks legit. Its for my 2020 Si Coupe. Which apparently there all different from sedan to coupe to hatch and etc. It came in the usual Honda packaging and box. It looked legit. But I noticed the rubber accordion rubber piece is smooshed in. Its as if the part that extends out is retracted in. Is this because it's been retracted in for shipping and installation purposes so it doesn't break? And once it's installed it'll extend out and I'll be all set? I asked the seller and it's obvious there's a language barrier. So I'm not getting anywhere.

What do you guys think? Have any of you swapped out your fuel door actuator? Thanks.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ordered new fuel door actuator - is this normal? IMG20231219115324

Honda Civic 10th gen Ordered new fuel door actuator - is this normal? IMG20231219115339

Last edited:

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey everyone. I ordered a new fuel door actuator. Mine is making an intermittent buzzing noise. It works. But I ordered a new part in case it takes a dump on me randomly as things tend to with cars. In fact both drivers side and passenger side doors do that and so I ordered new ones as well. So I'll be ready when they die. A lot of the OEM stuff seems to be all on back order. I don't wanna wait 6 months..

They randomly buzz or squeal when it's really cold or been sitting in the intense sun all day. The door actuators I ordered through one of the many Honda vendors I usually order from.

I had to order the fuel door actuator through eBay instead. As it seems all Honda vendor sites say the part is unavailable. Strangely enough this one seller on eBay has over 10. I thought was weird he had so many and every Honda vendor is out of them. So I sent a message asking about it and all I got back was a 5% coupon off of my order. Lol. Never got a reply about my question. I said what the heck and ordered. I can always return it if it's janky. It says it's genuine Honda. Made sure was the right part number which was kinda of tricky.

So I finally got the part and it looks legit. Its for my 2020 Si Coupe. Which apparently there all different from sedan to coupe to hatch and etc. It came in the usual Honda packaging and box. It looked legit. But I noticed the rubber accordion rubber piece is smooshed in. Its as if the part that extends out is retracted in. Is this because it's been retracted in for shipping and installation purposes so it doesn't break? And once it's installed it'll extend out and I'll be all set? I asked the seller and it's obvious there's a language barrier. So I'm not getting anywhere.

What do you guys think? Have any of you swapped out your fuel door actuator? Thanks.

IMG20231219115324.jpg

IMG20231219115339.jpg
I have! Easy peasy!
Taper off the whole area first to avoid scratches.
30 min job at best.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Mine freezes every time the temperature drops below 20F. I have to pry it open at the gas pump of I need gas. I actually try not to get caught needing gas in my Si if the forecast is predicting 20 or lower. Also screeches very loudly when it locks and unlocks.

I’ve had it replaced already once a few years ago.

Seems to be a crappy design.

OP
OP
borcth

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have! Easy peasy!
Taper off the whole area first to avoid scratches.
30 min job at best.
In the pictures though. Do you see the rubber accordion part that extends out? It's kind of smooshed flat. Will that extend out? It looks like it will/can, I just want to make sure it's not damaged. I didn't wanna start tugging on it.

Here's how it's suppose to look.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ordered new fuel door actuator - is this normal? 0dce212d8c3ed5da5791643986cab874

Last edited:
OP
OP
borcth

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mine freezes every time the temperature drops below 20F. I have to pry it open at the gas pump of I need gas. I actually try not to get caught needing gas in my Si if the forecast is predicting 20 or lower. Also screeches very loudly when it locks and unlocks.

I’ve had it replaced already once a few years ago.

Seems to be a crappy design.
Great...
Yea temps dropped to a fridgid 50 here in FL recently, lol that's enough to make things go wonky when it's normally in the 90's year round. Once it warmed back up it went away. Then temps dropped again to high 40s and it squealed again. I'm starting to get used to the cars quarks and personality. Now when I hear a noise or whine, i just say, ohh there's another quark. (part ordered for when it dies totally.:p )

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the pictures though. Do you see the rubber accordion part that extends out? It's kind of smooshed flat. Will that extend out? It looks like it will/can, I just want to make sure it's not damaged. I didn't wanna start tugging on it.

Here's how it's suppose to look.

0dce212d8c3ed5da5791643986cab874.jpg
Agreed! Looks weird. If you push it in and release it out again, does it look the same?

OP
OP
borcth

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agreed! Looks weird. If you push it in and release it out again, does it look the same?
I did not try that because I did not want to accidentally break or force it. It looks pretty delicate. lol

I suppose I could try and let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
borcth

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay I was able to pull the rubber piece out fully. But the rod inside is still inside. Probably come out when it has power?

However, I'm starting to think this isn't really a genuine OEM Honda part. I'm still wondering why they have so many on hand, but no Honda vendor has them. Also, when I went to reply back the vendors info suddenly was in Chinese and said Hong Kong. Then today, it changed back to English and looked like was locally in USA.

I also saw a similar vendor with part saying it's oem, but when I look at the negative reviews all said they were not OEM parts and fake knock offs. I went back to the seller I got it from and hardly any reviews. So I can't tell. Can they really replicate Honda stickers and get away with it? What are the signs it's fake? Would the real part say Honda actually stamped on it? Anyone have experience with ordering OEM parts from ebay? I always order from an actual Honda venders site.