How often do you fill your tank?

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Yep, that's the key IMO.

I average about 370 or so miles per tank in my '04 TSX (at about 27 MPG on average), but its tank is 17.1 gallons.
I was initially "scared" by the Civic's puny 12.4, but then realized that the better gas mileage will probably bring the miles-per-tank ratios close enough between the two cars.
Although the Si will probably have somewhat worse MPG numbers, but still, not a deal breaker -- although definitely an annoyance. Not a fan of saving a few pounds of weight at the expense of the driving range... :rolleyes1: (I'm assuming that's the main reason for such a tiny tank?) Why haven't they made the tank, say, 14 gallons -- and gained the mind-boggling 10 or so lbs of curb weight? Oh well. Mini-rant over. :)
Speaking of saving a few pounds of weight... I am particularly unhappy with the trend to ditch the spare donut tire in favor of repair kits. Fortunately the Civic comes with a spare.
Sponsored

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Speaking of saving a few pounds of weight... I am particularly unhappy with the trend to ditch the spare donut tire in favor of repair kits. Fortunately the Civic comes with a spare.
Yeah the absence of the spare tire was one of the turn-offs when I was looking into the Golf R... People found a way to retrofit a spare from Audi apparently, cutting into the trunk's underlining, etc. I guess the designers were also concerned about the already-minuscule trunk space. But anyway, we're going off-topic...

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't know about SUNOCO, but HESS is a bargain-basement gas station, which by it's nature implies that they aren't delivering as good of a product. Hess is basic fuel. Basic additives to meet EPA mins. Nothing bad, nothing good. If you want no buildup over time, look elsewhere. If you are getting rid of the car, it works fine.

Gasoline, pre-additive is a commodity and regulated all the same. Post additive, it is very different and works much better for longer term. Additives work over the long haul and you have to pay for it. Simple as that.

Either go for the Techron in a bottle or a brand that has it "built-in", or you get carbon buildup after 50-70k.

Of course, any brand that isn't contaminated works "just fine" at the time, you simply don't trace the problems back to the fuel later. All depends how long you keep your car.
I'm not a fan of either HESS or SUNOCO but noticed that they are on the top 10 in customer popularity (along with 4 or 5 more brands - Speedway, etc) but are not Top Tier. Also the expert analysis (http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit-control/) speaks mostly to keeping the intake valves cleaner. With the new Honda Dream series all using Direct Injection into the cylinder, bypassing the intake completely, it would be nice to see comparisons with current engines and injection systems not the 1.9 L Volkswagen (diesel?)engine (Wasserboxer according to CEC F-16-T-96) or the 5.0 L 1990-95 General Motors V-8 or the Ford 2.3L engines used for "certification". Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones who just happens to fill up with Shell - because it's the most convenient and no more expensive than other "name brand" stations in the area.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I find it very odd that the average Range MPG for the 10th Gen Civics are around 340-390Miles whereas 9th gens supposedly get around 100 - 150 miles higher than ours? Because I've had a 2015 Civic EX CVT Coupe and every time I fill her up, I'd get ranges around 460-490 miles and I'd have a 60 or so miles commute to work each day and this would last me 1 and 1/2 weeks. I thought they had very similar tank size in fuel?

I use Premium fuel on QT and a full tank would last me about 5-7 days. I would get 360-380 miles range and NOW I have about 42 miles of commute RT of work each day and this would last me 7 days, maximum. Oh, I get about 35-38MPG on Highway and averaging at @70mph.

I'm sure it would be higher if I slowed down a bit, but hey its commute..
9th has a tank capacity of 13.2 gallons - 10th is 12.39. Range is just an "educated guess" on how far you can go based on past computer calculated average mpg, adjusted for current computer calculated average mpg. I've found on the 2 cars we've had with a Range function that it's usually pessimistic if you're driving under the same conditions (may start out 300 miles and 75 miles later say 290 miles). Your real range is calculated after the fact by using your hand calculated mpg times your tank's stated capacity. Best to go off your lo-fuel warning as that tells you when you have 1.5 to 2.5 gallons left till empty no matter how you've been driving. (You can get a more accurate measure after a couple of fill-ups when you hit lo-fuel (our '12 Si is about 2.3)).

Last edited:

Stygian22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe EX-T & sedan LX
I'm glad someone brought this up. I'll be asking my own question on this topic not about a week or so. But I have a 2016 Ex-t coupe that I'm disappointed in fuel milage. But I drive 32 miles round trip highway and I fill up every two weeks.
We'll I've been trying several different ways of going about it. I live in central Oklahoma and hills aren't really a factor. I bought my wife a 2016 civic sedan with the 2.0 cvt and mine is the 2016 1.5 coupe with cvt. Mine has a higher mpg rating than hers but it never ends up that way. I drive both cars the same way. I am very gentle on & off the throttle. In hers is can pull 39 to 41 all day long. In mine is am at currently 38.8, and that's half way through this tank. It's the best I've ever got out of my coupe. There are two places to and from work where I can hypermile it (put it in neutral and coast for a mile. A total of two miles out of 32). Now that's with the economy button off and the stability controls off too, well when I remember to turn it off. I've normally run with the economy button on in my coupe but not this tank full. The eco button doesn't seem to matter in my coupe. But it does make a difference in the sedan. I keep track of the types of fuel too. Ethanol or real fuel, it doesn't seem to make a difference. The most i pulled out of my wife's 2.0 is 520 miles out of a tank and 464 out of my 1.5.
I'm wondering if its the accord transmission in my coupe and stickier tires that come on the ex-t. Any thoughts?

rabit1111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Hello All,
Just bought a hatch and haven't refueled yet. I wonder how much gas left in the tank when the warning light comes on?

I commute 160 miles RT to work daily and wonder if I can put at least 480 miles per tank. I usually refuel after the third day for my previous car and twice a week. I'm hoping to replicate that. I tested the commute today. On the way to work I average 38.8 mpg and 44.0 mpg on the way home. If I can keep it that way, I can barely make it to 480 miles/tank.
Sponsored