zackcali

First Name
zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I know the civics have pretty problematic AC systems and I just had mine replaced. I am wondering if ECON mode increases wear and tear on the system or if the part quality from honda is just lower than expected.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ECON mode is basically useless and should never be used. You can look for threads on here about it. It doesn't make enough of a difference in mileage to make up for the power loss and lower AC output and some people have seen lower MPG with it on.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
ECON mode is basically useless and should never be used. You can look for threads on here about it. It doesn't make enough of a difference in mileage to make up for the power loss and lower AC output and some people have seen lower MPG with it on.
It makes a pretty significant difference in my experience.
Mixed driving comes in at around 8.5L/100km (33.2 UK MPG) vs around 6.5L/100km (43.4 UK MPG).

We've just had some of our hottest temps on record here and I found the AC to be perfectly usable in eco mode too.

bluzfanmr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Touring Coupe, '10 Hyundai Tucson
Country flag
I quit using it to test the difference. My mileage went up a bit and it makes for a smoother, better overall driving experience. I live in the mountains and the transmission seems to not have to compensate as much as when driving with ECON mode on. The additional power is fun too.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
The Econ mode changes the AC by raising the target temperature of the evaporator which should reduce the load on the Compressor, since it can run at reduced capacity. It also lowers the fan speed to move less volume to also save energy, I would think on the highway it would make a slight difference.

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
The drive really makes a difference on if ECON helps or not. I have lots of up and down on my commute and having it not be so aggressive with the throttle makes a big difference. Setting cruise at 75-80 gets me about 32-35mpg, same trip under very similar conditions with ECON on gets me 38-41mpg.

Yane-san

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Don’t know about wear, but I found that if it is a really hot day and I’ve been parked in the sun, turning off Econ mode until the inside cools down is useful. Once the inside is cooled off, econ mode can keep things comfortable. No point in being sweaty and miserable to save a small amount of gas.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
Without using econ mode I average 7.4L per 100km with roughly 70% city and 30% highway.
Using econ mode I average 7.3L per 100km.

It literally makes no difference in my opinion and much less fun to drive in.

Maybe run econ mode once the car has cooled down if you are noticing a difference.

Last edited:

Scarofwar

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
Ive found econ mode to only really help with stop and go or suburban type areas with lots of traffic lights. I have a bit of a heavy foot so it helps me. Econ mode makes the throttle less sensitive till about 80 to 90% input and it tells the ecu to have less boost along with slowing spool time as well.
This is what ive found after getting my ktuner and just looking at the specs as i drove around b4 tuning.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Econ mode changes the AC by raising the target temperature of the evaporator which should reduce the load on the Compressor, since it can run at reduced capacity. It also lowers the fan speed to move less volume to also save energy, I would think on the highway it would make a slight difference.
The only answer which regards OPs question

So it sounds like ECON mode would actually do the opposite of increased wear

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Econ mode was beneficial for me during my commute to work where I would either be on the highway with traffic or stop and go traffic.

However normal driving with no traffic and local I don’t like it due to the loss of power especially when I need to overtake on the highway.

Econ mode also reduces the strength of the ac
Sponsored