Anyone else upset about lack of OEM Navigation?

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use to say who needs Navigation when I can use Google Maps on my phone too until I experienced it for the first time when I bought my 2015 Nissan Murano SL AWD, which actually standard on every trim.

It's just more convenient, easier to use and the Navigation on the Civic is actually more advanced. I remember going to the Toronto Auto Show, when I arrived it gave me a notification on WHERE TO PARK and listed the nearest.

I know Si up here gets Navigation but say Canadian's didn't, it would've been a deal breaker.
Sponsored

Wizerud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mini Clubman S All4
how does a phone do a better job in an area with no cell coverage?
Carplay doesn't support offline maps (yet) but with WWDC coming up this week, who knows that may change. Either way, as it stands now, it's not like your phone itself is unavailable if you have no cellphone coverage. Even on an iPhone you could download Google maps ahead of time and use your phone for nav in areas with no coverage. The built-in nav is the worst option if money is of any importance. Even a third-party Nav is way better value. At least these are easier to update with recent road changes and they are a lot cheaper. But if you'd prefer to spend 2k extra just for a built-in Nav option knock yourself out! ;)

Well, actually I guess you can't anymore but that is the way things are changing. By the next gen Civic built-in cellular service might be the norm.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. It seems you were in areas of great cell coverage. Attempting to find out what happens when in areas with no cell coverage. Were you listening to music at the same time? Did the Honda system lower the music volume when the nav directions were talking? I read about some early issues on that front. What is the price difference you are speaking on on LED vs Halogen? What is difference between Civic Si LEDs and the higher end ones on your Ridgeline?
1. I was traveling between Northeast Texas and Northeast Arkansas through miles of nothing but pine trees. I'm surprised I never lost a cell signal.

2. Yes, I was listening to my iTunes music library on my phone.

3. Yes, the music volume lowered and Siri spoke clearly through the center speaker on the dash.

4. MSRP for the halogen headlight is $344. MSRP for the LED headlight is $671.

5. The Civic LED headlights are of the reflector type and use multiple LEDs. The Ridgeline LED headlights are of the projector type and use only a single light source. The more important difference is that the Civic's LED headlights received the lowest IIHS headlight rating and the Ridgeline's received the highest. It's better to have "good" halogen headlights than "bad" LED headlights.

OP
OP

hjstrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
1. I was traveling between Northeast Texas and Northeast Arkansas through miles of nothing but pine trees. I'm surprised I never lost a cell signal.

3. Yes, the music volume lowered and Siri spoke clearly through the center speaker on the dash.

5. The Civic LED headlights are of the reflector type and use multiple LEDs. The Ridgeline LED headlights are of the projector type and use only a single light source. The more important difference is that the Civic's LED headlights received the lowest IIHS headlight rating and the Ridgeline's received the highest. It's better to have "good" halogen headlights than "bad" LED headlights.
Why would Honda do that to an enthusiast's car? why not an option? why is Nav not an option in the US but standard in Canada for Si's? Very odd.

OP
OP

hjstrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

Why would Honda do that to an enthusiast's car? why not an option? why is Nav not an option in the US but standard in Canada for Si's? Very odd.

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
The answer is that the US Si is based on the EX-T...while the Canadian car is based on the Touring...

The reasoning for it I can't be sure...but it's probably related to a good amount of market research, and what Honda thinks will sell best in the different regions...

Personally I wouldn't choose either option, but it would be nice to have the choice

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
1. Some of the fastest cars have no headlights at all - they just have decals that look like headlights.

2. Honda doesn't do options - they do trim levels that come with features.

3. Each market is different. Canadians generally like more features and are willing to pay more for them. US buyer are cheap, so we get fewer features to keep the price down.

Sometimes, the decisions don't make much sense, though. For example, the 2017 Canadian Ridgeline gets ventilated seats, but the US version doesn't. The last time I checked, ventilated seats are much more beneficial in Texas than they are in Canada.

Then, there are differences like the Canada Civic Sport Touring hatchback getting a manual transmission, but the US version doesn't. Perhaps more Canadians like manuals in cars with more features.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Why would Honda do that to an enthusiast's car?
The entity that is known as American Honda Motor Company is run by bean counters, not car guys... the US is constantly short changed on options for the enthusiast market because of this. The likes of Mendel and Conrad has constantly led to the Toyota-ization of Honda ie. catering to the mass market cars and focusing on volume sellers. And some not so smart ideas of going green in the sake of CAFE numbers and emissions like the failure known as the Insight.

For a company that was one of the hybrid pioneers, all their green efforts of late haven't achieved much success. Even the really well put together Accord Hybrid isn't really making much of a dent.

rje58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX 2017 6-speed manual
Country flag
Yes, I've done that with no issues so far!

The other thing to remember with Google Maps on a cell phone - you can do basic navigation using only the GPS. Not ideal, but on the rare times when I've been caught out in remote areas with no cell signal and no downloaded maps - it is WAY better than nothing! And even if I can't get detail maps and turn-by-turn directions, I can still see the major roads and highways - at least in the areas I've been in when this has happened to me. It's very similar to navigating with a paper map.

Google maps allows you to download maps to your phones storage for use when there is no signal
Sponsored