2017 ST hatch. Just upgrading stock speakers and tweeters.

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
So I'm looking at upgrading just the stock speakers and tweeters in my ST hatch. I've seen relevant info. scattered throughout different threads about things we need to keep in mind since some functions rely on existing connections from the stock HU to the stock amp. and radio tuner.

Is there some summary thread with all of these things we need to keep in mind when upgrading the stock speakers, tweeters and sub.?

Is the stock amp. powerful enough to drive any aftermarket replacements for the stock speakers?
Sponsored

Priceless_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST 2007 Silverado 2500HD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think I read on one of the threads that the amp supplies 45w to each speaker and tweeter. I've been wanting to upgrade my speakers as well but haven't made time to do it lol I'm honestly thinking about finding an audio shop to build me a custom box for a new sub and then changing out the speakers and tweeter myself. I'm like you though, I haven't found any concrete evidence that changing the speakers will really help the sound quality on our ST's.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I haven't found any concrete evidence that changing the speakers will really help the sound quality on our ST's.
Hey, you're in Fort Lee near me! I don't have a hatch, but if you'd like to come hear my Touring sedan with $2400 worth of speakers to get an idea, I'd be happy to demo it. Running off the factory amp at the moment (system is not done yet).

Last edited:

Priceless_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey, you're in Fort Lee near me! I don't have a hatch, but if you'd like to come hear my Touring sedan with $2400 worth of speakers to get an idea, I'd be happy to demo it. Running off the factory amp at the moment (system is not done yet).
Dang man!!!! I'd love to do that! I don't know if I'll drop that much into a sound system (although it might not take much to convince me lol) but I'd like to hear how good it sounds! We definitely ought to meet up!

OP
OP

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
So high-end speakers on the stock amp.?

Does the Touring sedan have the same amp. as the Sport Touring hatchback?

Priceless_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

My guess is that it does! I couldn't imagine Honda making a separate amp just for the hatchback. I think they both have 12 speakers.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Dang man!!!! I'd love to do that! I don't know if I'll drop that much into a sound system (although it might not take much to convince me lol) but I'd like to hear how good it sounds! We definitely ought to meet up!
Cool. Yeah, I don't think most people will spend that much, but it will definitely show you about as good as it's gonna get with still using the stock amp. And it's pretty good. Not as good as I want, but much better.

When is good for you? I'm free some weeknights after 6 and most of the time on weekends.

I suggest you pick a few songs you really like that you have on your phone or whatever, then listen to those on your drive for our meet-up to refresh your brain on how they sound on the stock speakers. Then we'll play them in my car so you can have a good comparison.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag

Yeah. I will ultimately have a DSP after my stock amp, followed by a couple of amps driving the same speakers. But for now it's just upgraded speakers with stock amp. And a powered 12" sub.

Almost the same. The sedan is 450W with 10 speakers/channels. The hatch is 540W with 12 speakers/channels. So I believe both are 45W per channel. Other than the number of channels, nothing I've read indicates there are any other differences.
Sponsored