First Name
MCDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
FYI TO ALL 10TH GEN CIVIC OWNERS >
CVT FLUID CHANGE IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED EVERY 30,000 MILES EVEN IF B3 ( CVT SERVICE ) IS NOT DISPLAYED ON MAINTENANCE MINDER. MY 2017 HAS CLOSE TO 90,000 MILES & IS AGAIN DUE FOR 3RD CVT SERVICE > CVT HAS STARTED TO SLIP & HAVE A RUBBER BAND EFFECT AGAIN ON STARTUPS FROM START.
PER HONDA TECH, CVT FLUID GETS OVERHEATED ON EXTENDED HIGH SPEED & STOP & GO OPERATIONS AND BREAKS DOWN FASTER, WHICH CAN CAUSE CVT FAILURE. REALLY ?? WHAT FLUID DOES THE EUROPEAN CIVICS USE AS THEIR ROAD SPEEDS ARE MUCH HIGHER THAN U.S. ? I DRIVE ON A TOLL ROAD THAT HAS A POSTED MINUMUM SPEED LIMIT OF 85 MPH, AND OPERATE IN VERY CONGESTED STOP & GO TRAFFIC TOO, AND HONDA IS TELLING ME THE CVT IS NOT DESIGNED FOR THIS CONSTANTLY & TO LIMIT OPERATING CONDITIONS ? POOR DESIGN FROM HONDA ? 2 HONDA DEALERS ALREADY ADMITTED THE CVT WILL FAIL SOONER THAN LATER & LIKELY HONDA WILL NOT REPLACE AS NO REPAIR IS DONE ON CVT'S, AND THE VEHICLE HAS A WELL DOCUMENTED OF EXCELLENT PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE, AND ONLY A AUTHORIZED HONDA DEALER HAS DONE CVT SERVICE.
VERY DISAPPOINTED IN HONDA.
Sponsored

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The german manual says change CVT fluid every 40,000 kilometers (25,000 miles) or every two years, whatever comes first. But it also pops up on the maintenance minder.

The Honda dealership used four liters of CVT fluid HCF-2 on my last CVT oil change.

Pricing:
€ 40 for labour
€ 90 for CVT oil
€ 25 taxes
----------------
Total cost: €155 = USD 166

Last edited:
OP
OP

cvc17

First Name
MCDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The german manual says change CVT fluid every 40,000 kilometers (25,000 miles) or every two years, whatever comes first. But it also pops up on the maintenance minder.

The Honda dealership used four liters of CVT fluid HCF-2 on my last CVT oil change.

Pricing:
€ 40 for labour
€ 90 for CVT oil
€ 25 taxes
----------------
Total cost: €155 = USD 166
thanks for the info. just got done with 3rd CVT fluid change & will go to every 25,000 miles. a dealer rep said the 10th gen civic CVT is known to overheat the fluid & owners like me who operate their respective vehicles in " Severe Service " conditions like extended high speed road & stop & go conditions can expect early CVT failure.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm also
a dealer rep said the 10th gen civic CVT is known to overheat the fluid & owners like me who operate their respective vehicles in " Severe Service " conditions like extended high speed road & stop & go conditions can expect early CVT failure.
To me that like a person, who severely dislikes CVTs. I never heard that before and we even have some Honda techs on the forum and also some crazy people who drive like lunatics and there aren't a lot of reported CVT failures on the forums.

Some reported CVT failures on the forum are the result of bolts on tuning and or neglect. Some very few came out of nowhere.

The CVT shouldn't have a problem with stop and go traffic and also not with 85mph, that's not even that fast in my opinion. The only thing you should never do is brake boosting the car.

Is your CVT still slipping after the CVT oil change?

Last edited:
OP
OP

cvc17

First Name
MCDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm also

To me that like a person, who severely dislikes CVTs. I never heard that before and we even have some Honda techs on the forum and also some crazy people who drive like lunatics and there aren't a lot of reported CVT failures on the forums.

Some reported CVT failures on the forum are the result of bolts on tuning and or neglect. Some very few came out of nowhere.

The CVT shouldn't have a problem with stop and go traffic and also not with 85mph, that's not even that fast in my opinion. The only thing you should never do is brake boosting the car.

Is your CVT still slipping after the CVT oil change?
hello, GermanCivic. the slippage and " rubber band-like " effect when shifting is very minimal after every fluid change.
other than a K&N air filter system, there are no performance mods. the vehicle has never been raced nor brake boosted.
with 88,539 miles, majority has been extended highway & tollway traveling, with heavy stop & go congested city traffic thrown in. the 3rd fluid change is 1st time maintenance minder CVT service code appeared.
Sponsored