MidnightMonolith

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
So I've noticed my mpg going to S over the past 3 weeks. I was able to get 40+mpg going to work. Now I struggle to get it above 34mpg (same driving style and route). But I have started to pay more attention to a whine the car has been making every time I come to a stop. When I start the car I can hear the fuel pump priming (normal). But EVERY time I bring the car to a stop or slow down to a very slow roll off the accelerator, I can hear it whining/whirling again. I can only assume this is the fuel pump after my years of car experience.

Before I go back to the dealer with all this, I wanted to see if anyone else can confirm they hear this whine when you stop your car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
So I've noticed my mpg going to S over the past 3 weeks. I was able to get 40+mpg going to work. Now I struggle to get it above 34mpg (same driving style and route). But I have started to pay more attention to a whine the car has been making every time I come to a stop. When I start the car I can hear the fuel pump priming (normal). But EVERY time I bring the car to a stop or slow down to a very slow roll off the accelerator, I can hear it whining again. I can only assume this is the fuel pump after my years of car experience.

Before I go back to the dealer with all this, I wanted to see if anyone else can confirm they hear this whine when you stop your car.
I'm also hearing a whine that comes on for a couple seconds (2 max) when I come to a stop. I didn't know what it was until now.. I didn't hear it when I first got the car. I just thought it was normal. Strange thing is.. it doesn't do it every time, so I don't know how to trigger it.

OP
OP

MidnightMonolith

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm also hearing a whine that comes on for a couple seconds (2 max) when I come to a stop. I didn't know what it was until now.. I didn't hear it when I first got the car. I just thought it was normal. Strange thing is.. it doesn't do it every time, so I don't know how to trigger it.
Mine started that way...and has just gotten worse very quickly. Like I said, I was getting 40+mpg, but now I am barely getting 34mpg. That is a HUGE difference when nothing has changed. Keep an eye on it and def lmk if you have any changes.

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Mine started that way...and has just gotten worse very quickly. Like I said, I was getting 40+mpg, but now I am barely getting 34mpg. That is a HUGE difference when nothing has changed. Keep an eye on it and def lmk if you have any changes.
I have noticed my MPG getting worse (minimally), but I just assumed it was my heavy foot. I'll let you know if it gets worse.

How many miles have you logged so far?

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Not sure where you guys live but, it’s winter where I am. And when it’s below freezing gas mileage decreases a bit.

jaydubz79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
So I've noticed my mpg going to S over the past 3 weeks. I was able to get 40+mpg going to work. Now I struggle to get it above 34mpg (same driving style and route). But I have started to pay more attention to a whine the car has been making every time I come to a stop. When I start the car I can hear the fuel pump priming (normal). But EVERY time I bring the car to a stop or slow down to a very slow roll off the accelerator, I can hear it whining again. I can only assume this is the fuel pump after my years of car experience.

I'm not sure if this would be classified as a characteristic of the Fk7, but I can confirm that on my 2017 sport HB the 'whine' that you described is just as pronounced on my 2017 Si. No noticeable difference in fuel consumption on either. Both vehicles generally stay around 29-34 mpg with a mix of spirited, hwy and city driving.

NickName541

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Country flag
My 2016 Accord Sport had the whine/crickets noise as well, so I took it into Honda and they replaced the high pressure fuel pump with another. They said it was really common in the entire Honda line-up of vehicles. A few month later, the noise came back from the replacement unit, I ended selling the car (not because of that). My Si, on occasion, has the crickets noise from the fuel pump too. Usually when stopped (ie: in a drive thru) with the AC on I noticed. Honda told me with the Accord, it wasn't any concern other then the noise. Maybe next summer I may take it in for a new one, but the new one they put on the Accord eventually had the same issue. It's annoying, but nothing to worry about.

OP
OP

MidnightMonolith

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm not sure if the noise you have in constant, but I should have said mine is a definite priming. So a short whine (maybe 2-3 seconds) then it stops until I come to anothet stop.

Is your sound similar to mine?

NickName541

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Country flag
I'm not sure if the noise you have in constant, but I should have said mine is a definite priming. So a short whine (maybe 2-3 seconds) then it stops until I come to anothet stop.

Nope, my mistake... mine sounded/sounds like crickets or a audible whine.

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag

This is exactly what mine behaved like. If I had to describe it... it would sound like this:

Obviously not as long.. but definitely a more deeper sound. It sounded like almost an electrical battery charging sound or something.

I drove a 10th gen EX (automatic) today.. only 450 KMs / 279 miles on it and I heard the same thing when I came to a stop. I'm starting to believe this might be normal for 10th gens.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Mine makes the exact same sound; was wondering what it was.

Darky

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
check to see if your a/c compressor is on. if it is turn it off and see if you still get the same whine.

OP
OP

MidnightMonolith

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
check to see if your a/c compressor is on. if it is turn it off and see if you still get the same whine.
It has been 30 degrees here for the past week or so. So the A/C is def not on.

Darky

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Doesn't matter. It will stay on if you don't manually turn it off.
Sponsored