New SI owner, When, Why and what I think

Old guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
i all, long time lurker, whom just pulled the trigger, on a Aegean Blue Metallic Coupe. Just picked it up last Thursday 7/6/17.

Why the SI? I've been researching cars for a couple of years. I wanted power in 2nd gear, that is the gear you can use in town. I don't drag race and I have no tracks, to do track days on, close to me. So it's all about pulls in low gear. I wanted a car that can turn corners. I wanted MPG, my EP3 got 28 on the highway. It was/is a blast in 2nd gear, just sucked on MPGs. I wanted creature comforts, heated seats/mirrors, moonroof, keyless enter and start. Better sound system. Going from 4 speakers to 10 with a sub woofer and 450 watts.

For the longest time I thought I would get an EX-T. Only problem, no manuals came to Iowa. Only one made it here, actually for sale, since they came out. It was Rally Red and I don't drive red cars.

When I saw the stats for the Si I was blown away. 38 miles MPG on the highway (or higher). The mechanical limited slip diff, which will pay big dividends in Iowa during winter. Two tires pulling me thru the snow instead of one? A big win for me. Then after seeing VIT's Dyno numbers of what the car actually has, had to go for it.

Then there are the looks.

Honda Civic 10th gen New SI owner, When, Why and what I think 29fxjr8
Honda Civic 10th gen New SI owner, When, Why and what I think 293vy40
Honda Civic 10th gen New SI owner, When, Why and what I think 2yl4idx
Honda Civic 10th gen New SI owner, When, Why and what I think 25u6yhx
Honda Civic 10th gen New SI owner, When, Why and what I think 30xjriw
Honda Civic 10th gen New SI owner, When, Why and what I think 24curz8

Just love the look of the coupe.

What do I think.

I come from a 2003 EP3. Have been driving it since May of 2010. What can I say, everything is a HUGE upgrade over the EP3. When I see people talk about how rough or hard the interior is, I just wanted to say, come drive my EP3 for a week and then tell me how bad the interior is. It's all about persecutive. If your last car was all leather, you will hate the interior. You drive a 2003, like me, it feels like you are driving a BMW or Mercedes. I only have a 153 miles on it, so can't say much. Love the ride. On the highway, coming home from buying it, put in SPORT mode. Much rougher ride on the not smooth roads. MPGS? I sat in the car with the salesman for over 30 minutes, going over all the inside stuff. The temp was 93 degrees, so the car was running and the AC was ON. Took off to drive home, 60 miles in a little over a hour. So the car was running for 1.5 hours and only 1 hour was it moving. By the time I got home, the computer said I was at 37.3 MPG. Impressive!

So after 5 days of back and forth to work, I love this car! Being an Old Guy, the young kids that pull up next to me to check out my car, and then find a white haired, white bearded, old guy, they have no idea what to say/do. Kind of gives me a chuckle.

So far, I'm loving it!!!! Can't wait till I can floor it and flog it up high into the rev range. My right foot is really ready for it. I fight it every time I drive the car at the moment.

Last edited:

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
Congratulations and welcome! I am enjoying mine more each time I drive it, and I'm sure you will too.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After it's broken in, Vit tune it. You'll really be happy then.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Congrats, @Old guy! I'm approaching the upper age range of Si buyers myself. Like you, I considered an EX-T or Sport manual, but those were impossible to find with a reasonable amount of effort which is part of the reason I ended up with an Si. After a month and half and almost 1,700 miles so far, I remain captivated by it. I have a pristine 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E that's just been sitting in the garage undriven since i got the Si.

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Congrats and welcome to the club... I do think the Si coupe looks better than the sedan this generation. It's a shame.

Last edited:

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats! It looks great!

OP
OP
Old guy

Old guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Small update.

Got to do a short highway trip today. Once before the heat and once after the heat was full on. Had a friend needed a ride. Dropped their car off to get a trailer hitch installed. Needed a ride home. 14 miles each way, 95% highway, temps in the upper 70's. Windows down, sunroof open, letting the air flow thru the car. Out and back.......48 MPG! Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?!

So around 2ish I get the call, car is done, need a ride. Now it's 95, dew point 75, so guess what? I had the AC on. Out and back.......41.5MPG. Just blown away with the fuel economy on this car. Still breaking it in and I am getting this kind of MPG. I know it will go down when I can finally let my right foot have some fun, but knowing what this car is capable of, is amazing, coming from a car that got 28MPG on the highway

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Small update.

Got to do a short highway trip today. Once before the heat and once after the heat was full on. Had a friend needed a ride. Dropped their car off to get a trailer hitch installed. Needed a ride home. 14 miles each way, 95% highway, temps in the upper 70's. Windows down, sunroof open, letting the air flow thru the car. Out and back.......48 MPG! Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?!

So around 2ish I get the call, car is done, need a ride. Now it's 95, dew point 75, so guess what? I had the AC on. Out and back.......41.5MPG. Just blown away with the fuel economy on this car. Still breaking it in and I am getting this kind of MPG. I know it will go down when I can finally let my right foot have some fun, but knowing what this car is capable of, is amazing, coming from a car that got 28MPG on the highway
Just returned from a 1000 mile round-trip to Portland Oregon. Mostly freeway miles. Probably averaged at least 70 mph. 3000 foot high mountain passes. Kept my foot in it the whole time. AC was on the entire time too. Average was 39 mpg. Couldn't break 40 mpg, but I bet I could if I slowed down to 65 mph.

OP
OP
Old guy

Old guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Filled up for the first time today. Low fuel light came on, drove about 8 miles after, filled it with 10.88 gallons of gas. So around 1.5 gallons left in the tank when the light comes on. Not a large safety net. But I now have some real MPG info. 33.5 actual compared to the cars MPG of 35.7. So right where it's rated at, for 50/50 driving. For my first tank, I am very happy. :D

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Filled up for the first time today. Low fuel light came on, drove about 8 miles after, filled it with 10.88 gallons of gas. So around 1.5 gallons left in the tank when the light comes on. Not a large safety net. But I now have some real MPG info. 33.5 actual compared to the cars MPG of 35.7. So right where it's rated at, for 50/50 driving. For my first tank, I am very happy. :D
About the same here...

http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civic/2017/zroger73/625488

7 fill-ups in about 2,000 miles in just under two months and I'm averaging 34.0 in mixed driving - 2 more than the EPA estimate. I'm running Exxon 93 and the A/C is always on.

Vrruumm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Small update.

On the way to work and back I am averaging between 40-45mpg. Some days when I take it a bit easy or I get more green lights I can get upwards of 50mpg (50% suburb/50% highway). I am coming from a car that got 26mpg no matter how I drove it to a car where I can drive it quite hard and still get 38mpg or higher by the time I get home. I am so glad I didn't buy the Sentra SR Nismo. It cost more, had less power, and got worse MPG. I think Honda really nailed what this car needed to be, and there is lots of room for improvement if people want to take advantage of it. Things like the Hondata tune and other performance upgrades in the future could make a big difference on this platform.

cvue

First Name
Chao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ehh...A Honda?
Country flag
Hello Old Guy

New user here and I'll be picking up a white Civic Type R in a 2-3 weeks. I'm having some personal issues though - I can't seem to decide on an Si or the Type R. I'm excited for the Type R but I'm starting to love the Si sedan especially in white or blue. It's such a damn hard decision...I've waited months to get my hands on the Type R but...so many things keep me stuck between choosing one of the two. Other question - Will maintenance be a pain in the ass moneywise for the Type R's 20 inch wheels or even maintenance in general?

OP
OP
Old guy

Old guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
@cvue the thing to keep in mind with the tires for the TypeR is, they are only rated for 10,000 miles. That's it, 10,000 miles. Those tires are not cheap.
Sponsored