Pricing: Si vs Sport Touring Hatch

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
In Canada we get to order the Sport Touring Hatch with a manual. I'm in love with this car, but not the 180hp or the handling reviews I have seen. But I like getting all the technology bits.

This car is coming in around $31k CDN.. which makes me wonder where will the Si be priced?

Previously we saw the Si price out the highest in the Civic line up. But I am not sure they can slot it above the Touring trims, given they have Honda sensing, remote start etc, where as the Si will likely be void of these features.

Tough choice... wait for the Si or get the Sport Touring and throw on the Hondata +3 or +6 tune.
Sponsored

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait for the Si. Given the Sport Touring is the highest spec Honda civic you can get, you can expect the Si is not going of have all of those features. They should be announcing price in about 1-2 months so if I were in your shoes I'd wait. SI should be significantly cheaper.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
In Canada we get to order the Sport Touring Hatch with a manual. I'm in love with this car, but not the 180hp or the handling reviews I have seen. But I like getting all the technology bits.

This car is coming in around $31k CDN.. which makes me wonder where will the Si be priced?

Previously we saw the Si price out the highest in the Civic line up. But I am not sure they can slot it above the Touring trims, given they have Honda sensing, remote start etc, where as the Si will likely be void of these features.

Tough choice... wait for the Si or get the Sport Touring and throw on the Hondata +3 or +6 tune.
You just need to prioritize what your getting for your money. You will probably give up about half of what the touring has to offer in some areas (heated rear seats, better sound system, driving aides) and gaining just as much in other areas with the Si (more power, advanced suspension.) only you can determine if its worth your money for what you get, and where you prioritize your options. For me, I want the power and manual transmission over anything else, and heated seats come in at a strong second. That all I really care about and the touring just doesn't fill my needs. No matter the trim I get will be a big improvement over what I have.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
In Canada we get to order the Sport Touring Hatch with a manual.
Damn! Ya lucky bastards! :cool:

But I still prefer the Si, personally. LSD, adaptive dampers and more power (factory) beats all that sensing stuff hands down. The driver should be the one sensing things :), otherwise we're getting eerily close to that "self-driving cars" territory, and I refuse to tread anywhere near that cozy warm swamp for as long as I can help it...

(BTW, you mentioned remote start as one of the Touring pros, but it probably won't be available with the manual.)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The only thing the Sport Touring gets that I want is the LED headlights. I'll forgo those in favor of the 6MT, seats, suspension, and LSD (and about $2-3K less).

Last edited:

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
The Si price point in Canada is a mystery. Will we get adaptive dampers and led headlights stock or is there going to be a package like the previous Si models in the states. If we only get one package I think the Si will start at 29,900 plus freight which would be more then the sport touring and probably will not have Honda sensing or leather. At 30k I would probably take a wrx or over a Si.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It should be around 24-25K USD. Around 2-3K cheaper than the Touring equivalent.

Honda is considering LEDs for the Si but we should expect the initial release to include features that are standard in the EX-T.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Actually, in Canada the Si has been traditionally loaded above the Touring model (EX-L Nav) sans leather and has always been more expensive than the top of the line base engine car.

2011 EX-L 4Dr 5AT MSRP : $23,880
2011 Si 4Dr 6MT MSRP : $25,880

2015 Touring 4Dr CVT MSRP : $25,550
2015 Si 4Dr 6MT MSRP : $26,850

Now with the 2017 Touring Sedan priced at $27,390, I wouldn't be surprised if the Si was $1,500 more than that. I'm only comparing it to the sedan since it's the only benchmark we have so any comparisons to the Sport Touring hatch might be different. I would assume if the Si was loaded up to Sport Touring levels of features, it'd sticker at $32k.

WRX isn't a comparison in Canada since it starts at $29,995 and that's for the base. If you get the Sport Tech which has comparable equipment and features like Harman Kardon, Push button start, LED lights and SXM, it's $36,095 and with Freight/PDI and taxes it's like $40,000 OTD.

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I am actually going by the most recent interviews with Sage Marie. I personally believe Honda could offer a 2nd trim (i.e. Si Touring) without infringing on any other car in Honda or Acura's lineup.

Response from Sage:

Q: LED headlights?
A: To be determined. But, the Si model shown today is in the EX trim, and Si models traditionally have not been offered in the top trim (Touring).

http://www.civicx.com/threads/2017-honda-civic-si-prototype-debut-q-a-photos-video.6668/

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
It should be around 24-25K USD. Around 2-3K cheaper than the Touring equivalent.

Honda is considering LEDs for the Si but we should expect the initial release to include features that are standard in the EX-T.

I would consider LEDs in the Si as an acceptable apology for the lack of an Si hatchback. C'mon Honda... do the right thing.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Guys, OP is from Canada and starts his post by discussing Si pricing relative to the hatch up north. Barging through the front door saying the Si is traditionally priced below the top of the line regular Civic means jack to him.

If tradition follows, the Si will be loaded straight from the factory sans leather, will cost more than the Touring sedan. So as much as you want to talk about how it's 23-24k USD, it's irrelevant because first of all, Si is never less expensive than Touring Civics, and Honda Canada prices vehicles not based on the direct exchange rate.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Actually, in Canada the Si has been traditionally loaded above the Touring model (EX-L Nav) sans leather and has always been more expensive than the top of the line base engine car.

2011 EX-L 4Dr 5AT MSRP : $23,880
2011 Si 4Dr 6MT MSRP : $25,880

2015 Touring 4Dr CVT MSRP : $25,550
2015 Si 4Dr 6MT MSRP : $26,850

Now with the 2017 Touring Sedan priced at $27,390, I wouldn't be surprised if the Si was $1,500 more than that. I'm only comparing it to the sedan since it's the only benchmark we have so any comparisons to the Sport Touring hatch might be different. I would assume if the Si was loaded up to Sport Touring levels of features, it'd sticker at $32k.

WRX isn't a comparison in Canada since it starts at $29,995 and that's for the base. If you get the Sport Tech which has comparable equipment and features like Harman Kardon, Push button start, LED lights and SXM, it's $36,095 and with Freight/PDI and taxes it's like $40,000 OTD.
Why wouldn't you compared the wrx at 30k. Yes civic si would have more tech then a base wrx but would lack in awd, quad exhaust and more power. At 30k it would be comparable since both are sport sedans

OP
OP
CIVICSPORT

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
I really hope the Si is loaded up with Honda sensing. I want the performance and the technology the more I think about it. I guess we will know more in June or July when the Civic finally arrives.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Why wouldn't you compared the wrx at 30k. Yes civic si would have more tech then a base wrx but would lack in awd, quad exhaust and more power. At 30k it would be comparable since both are sport sedans
Because the difference is powertrain at the complete expense of interior and features. Which one you value is up to you but what a lot of people are doing is saying "if the Sport Touring/Si is $30k, might as well buy the WRX." I think that statement is nonsense because it's not like you're getting the Sport Tech model with the WRX powertrain for a similar price. There's a tradeoff that makes the WRX and Sport Touring have their own value propositions. If the Civic Si comes loaded from the factory like the Touring model, I know I'm going to be a lot more comfortable on my commute than the base WRX.

If I was shopping in this class, I would definitely look at the WRX. However, they both have their benefits and tradeoffs. I'm not gonna write the Civic off just because the WRX is a better mechanical performer and say the Civic is fucked in the market at $30k. I mean, if I buy a base WRX I have to turn the key and deal with halogen headlights... -__-'

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Because the difference is powertrain at the complete expense of interior and features. Which one you value is up to you but what a lot of people are doing is saying "if the Sport Touring/Si is $30k, might as well buy the WRX." I think that statement is nonsense because it's not like you're getting the Sport Tech model with the WRX powertrain for a similar price. There's a tradeoff that makes the WRX and Sport Touring have their own value propositions. If the Civic Si comes loaded from the factory like the Touring model, I know I'm going to be a lot more comfortable on my commute than the base WRX.

If I was shopping in this class, I would definitely look at the WRX. However, they both have their benefits and tradeoffs. I'm not gonna write the Civic off just because the WRX is a better mechanical performer and say the Civic is fucked in the market at $30k. I mean, if I buy a base WRX I have to turn the key and deal with halogen headlights... -__-'
No one said the civic is "fucked" if its 30k but at that point people will and should consider cars like the wrx, st focus and even the elantra sport @25k. The Si always had a strong argument due to its price point but at 30k competition is tight. Not everyone buying a Si needs led headlights and hence there is probably going to be a model without them at least in the US. We will see what Honda prices the car in Canada.

To the original OP, if you want to get Hondata and such just wait for the Si. It will offer better suspension, bigger brakes, lsd, different steering ratio and more. I have bought my 8th gen civic non Si back in 2007 and threw on all the Si bits but in the end it still wasn't a Si. I didn't have the engine, lsd, beefier control arms, more chassis welds, steering ratio and brakes.
Sponsored